Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Asus X99 reporting surges

I'm suddenly getting an intermittent problem with sudden pc shutdowns. I had one about a week ago then everything was okay but tonight I had two or three in a row, though things seem to be working again now.

Couldn't see anything in Events except a power kernal fault, but tonight I actually noticed the message from the Asus motherboard when it happened.

I can't remember the exact wording but basically it was saying the Asus Motherboard has shut down the system due to detecting power surges.

I'm running through a UPS which cleans up the voltage so I'm assuming the PSU is developing a fault and I've ordered a new one (it's only seven months old). I tried using HWMonitor but that doesn't tell me much except the voltages are normal while the pc is running.

Is there any way to check on the software side or is it just better to replace the PSU and see what happens?

Motherboard in an Asus X99 PSU is a Corsair 850RM O/S is Win7 64bit
    Last edited by Slorm; 2015-07-01 at 17:31.

Thanks
    Does Reliability Monitor come up with any clues? Action Center > Maintenance > View reliability history - click the 'x's for details?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Slorm,

I'd recommend a UPS which should eliminate any power problems unless your Power Supply is going south. You can get a Power Supply tester to check that out. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slorm View Post
    ....Is there any way to check on the software side or is it just better to replace the PSU and see what happens?....
    • Software? Well HWMonitor does it as well as any. But it is best if done and recorded when the PSU is new and results compared when there is a question about its voltages. The voltage sensors are not necessarily accurate but they do a good job of reporting much the same at they age. So a variance over time can spell an issue.
    • But PSU Testers are essentially worthless as they do not test under load. Though a fail is a fail.
    • You can test voltages using a Volt-Meter probing individual wire junctions while the PC is running under load like OCCT > PSU Test. Warning though, this is a tough test. If your PC is junk it will likely kill it. Voltages should test within +/- 5%. Outside this range is a fail This is a good test but it is not a definitive test unless there is a fail. Only the manufacturer can test their PSU under appropriate conditions with a $10,000 machine.

https://community.newegg.com/eggxper...1/t/98567.aspx

Thanks
    Is that your new build Slorm?

I would assume that your UPS is not too old and would also protect from external power surging?

I agree, the PSU would be my first thought, but testing it properly wouldn't exactly be easy.
    If the PSU is under warranty, let the manufacturer test it.

I'd also inspect the board's capacitors and chokes for any signs of damage.

I can't remember the exact wording but basically it was saying the Asus Motherboard has shut down the system due to detecting power surges.
    Go back through the event viewer and start looking again for references and timestamps regarding the above, or get a 3rd party crash analysis application.

There's also the possibility that Asus's anti-surge protection feature (low voltage fluctuations) is faulty, unlikely though.

In what type of running environment do these shut-downs occur?
    High stress vs near idle or low stress conditions.
    Do you have UPS software installed?
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2015-07-02 at 01:06.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Home UPS generally don't protect you from much except power outages because they are offline devices.
    http://www.abanups.com/en/?p=542

A good PC power supply should handle most supply fluctuations and hold the output voltages steady, as long as the PSU is not near maximum load. Did you notice any other devices hiccuping during the apparent power surges?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I don't see a lot of Corsair PSUs, but can't say I've ever had to replace one.

@ Fascist Nation #4 post

I carry a PSU tester around in my work bag. Have tested at least hundreds of PSUs with it; certainly it is not an exhaustive test but it is practical. Although it is possible to test PSU outputs using a multitester ("volt-meter") I would suggest that is no more reliable than a hand-held PSU test meter and a heck of a lot more time-consuming (I charge customers by the hour so have to watch the clock).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the comments everyone.

Just to clear up a few things, the UPS is an inline APC Smart. It is on it's third battery now so around 7 - 10 years old, but was not indicating any voltage trim or overload on the front panel. I used to use it to run a commercial server, it's not a home model.

As Clint correctly surmised this is the new build so everything else is around 6 - 7 months old.

The PC was not under any real load temps were all around the 38C area except for the GPU which was a bit over 50C (I was just watching BBC iPlayer last night in low res).

The environment was hotter than usual (it does occasionally warm up in the UK), I would guess the room temperature to be around 75F+ which is a lot higher than normal, but it didn't seem to be having that much of an effect looking at HWMonitor.

HWMonitor doesn't pick up the PSU temperature but one thing I did notice when I opened the case was that the PSU was extremely warm to the touch and the fan filter underneath the case has no dust (I normally have to clean my fan filters once a month).

The next PSU should be here tomorrow so I'll be able to test further, if it happens again it will be a good indicator that the motherboard is the problem. I hope it's just the PSU as that's a quick job, changing the motherboard will mean a complete rebuild.

I'll check the reliability monitor when I get home from the office tonight, there was nothing useful in the events register.
    Last edited by Slorm; 2015-07-02 at 08:09.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    That sort of UPS should have a log of recent voltages and if it shows nothing abnormal....

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    That sort of UPS should have a log of recent voltages and if it shows nothing abnormal....

cheers, Paul
    It has an old COM port so I never bothered to get a PCIe converter card as it ran fine without a connection (it has an onboard test routine). I've got one now so I'll fit and connect to the UPS to keep logs for the future.

EDIT: Just noticed it has a USB port, if I move it closer I should be able to get a cable to stretch rather than fitting a COM port
    Last edited by Slorm; 2015-07-02 at 14:28. Reason: update

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just an update on this. I fitted the new PSU last Friday evening and all seems well so far, though I'll not relax until a good week has passed

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a new PC delivered three years ago which soon developed an intermittent shutdown fault. It looked like the PSU. On removing the old PSU I noticed that one of the LV leads had its insulation damaged at the point where the bundle of leads came out of the PSU case. There was no grommet in the hole so I guess it got abraded in the transport to me. It then struck me that I have seen a number of PSUs without a rubber grommet here.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I built a PC two years ago that started having random reboots after a month or so, up to 2 or 3 a day sometimes. The motherboard LED codes indicated a power failure. The PSU was brand new, and the UPS was working fine. I spent a lot of time over several weeks messing with BIOS, software and OS settings, and running various tests and diagnostics, and couldn't figure it out. I was about to swap out the motherboard when I noticed one of the cables connected to the modular PSU (Corsair) was very slightly unseated. I reseated the cable and voila! Problem gone.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a slightly different problem with a computer built by a local shop a couple of years ago and with Windows 8.0 on it. It would shut down spontaneously, sometimes with a BSOD but accompanied by various error messages. Sometimes it would restart automatically and other times not. The computer was checked stem to stern and the OS and programs were re-installed several times. The problem ended up being related to too many devices attached to the same electrical circuit and when a particular device (which varied) on the chain started up, the circuit would overload and the computer would shut down. Moving a couple of devices to a different circuit cured the problem.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Last year i built a new PC with a Corsair CS450M psu, Intel Core i5-4590, Intel HD4600 integrated Graphics, ASRock Z97 Extreme4 motherboard, 2x4GB G-Skill DDR3-2400 RAM, 1 x Crucial M500 240GB SSD, 1 x WD 250GB HDD, 1 x WD 160GB HDD, and an ASUS DRW-24F1ST DVD burner all housed in an old Antec Sonata case. After 8 months there was an intermittent whining noise so i shut it down. The noise may have been present for several hours when i was away from the computer. Next morning when i turned it on it didn't power up or light up. An inexpensive CoolerMaster PSU Tester indicated a psu fault so i RMA'd the psu and Corsair replaced it under warranty. Corsair CS450M was well reviewed on a couple of websites and had good user reviews as well, but it failed in less than a year. Without waiting for Corsair i installed a new Seasonic psu. Next, i discovered the motherboard was fried, too. Thanks Corsair! ASRock kindly replaced the motherboard. After that, everything worked - except for the ASUS DVD burner. It was around 11 months old by the time i requested an RMA. The ASUS rep said the "serial number is out of warranty". i replied that the warranty is "one year from date of purchase". Later, another rep emailed to say OK they'll replace it. After waiting 18 days for the replacement i installed it and - guess what - it doesn't work. So, i ordered a Samsung DVD burner from Newegg and it works perfectly. I'm done with ASUS. First, they denied it was under warranty, then took a long time to send it (i think their carrier was the Donner party) adn then the refurbished model didn't even light up! And that Corsair psu? Well, i'm going to try it in a cheap pc sometime ....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast