Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Router and laptop trouble

I have had a Century link DSL Modem Actiontech M1000 for many years now. After receiving a new HP laptop about a year ago I tried to buy the wifi antenna for the top of modem but could not find a place that still sold it. So I got a Netgear WNR 1000v3 with Genie Software about a year ago also. It all worked great till recently something is causing Internet connection to keep going on and off, even when sitting next to router. I cant take laptop out to other rooms any more without loosing connection. It used to show me name's of other wifi's in neighborhood but quit doing that too. Someone at Netgear support forum website told me since it didnt show other wifi's in area the wireless card in laptop could be the culprit. I think this be it>?Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter. I can not believe a card in a laptop goes bad after only 1 year. Of course my HP laptop warranty is up now. I am new to this wifi deal as always just had desktop connected to dsl modem. I wondered if culprit could be the old dsl modem tho since it be the old one, besides me lol, And I will need to save money for a new combo wifi/dsl modem. I have router hooked to dsl modem with Ethernet cord, and I have router placed up high as possible. Any suggestions or ideas on this whole problem greatly appreciated?
    Thank you,Maureen/Mosie
    Last edited by mosie; 2015-07-01 at 20:25.

Thanks
    By googling your adapter, I see that there are many complaints of driver problems with that adapter and they all seem to be the same complaints as yours. Have you checked the HP support site for new drivers for your laptop?
    Drivers seem to be the main culprit.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

mosie (2015-07-02)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    driver updated but still having probs

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Check for interfering devices in the area with inSSIDer. Use the free version here.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It could be all of the above.

While I've never done this, you could create a virtual router to see if that will help with the connectivity.

As you haven't said which Windows version you are using, I've included links for both Win 7 and 8.1.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...th_windows.htm

http://www.windows8core.com/2-best-y...windows-8-1rt/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For ensuring that I understand the baics of what's going on

Issues: "recently something is causing Internet connection to keep going on and off, even when sitting next to router"
    "It used to show me name's of other wifi's in neighborhood but quit doing that too."
    NOTE: "I can not believe a card in a laptop goes bad after only 1 year."
    --- I believe that isn't the case and you are correct

You have a Century link DSL Modem Actiontech M1000
    --- Does this unit have wireless capability?
    --- Can your ISP provider provide a more modern version?

Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter is the built in wireless adapter in your new HP laptop

You added a Netgear WNR 1000v3 wireless router

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could always take your laptop to a library or coffee shop and see if you have a stable wifi connection (ie, your laptop is not at fault or most definitely is at fault).

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you everyone for the help and info to check out. I will check the links out later. I am planning on going up to brothers place to check out if problem will exist with his cable wifi there at his house. I am not sure if drivers got updated or not now. HP and Qualcomm support sites are very confusing and I am leary of downloading junk. Is there a decent safe site to check comp for all drivers that need updated? At the Netgear support site someone said that since the Netgear Genie software did not show all the wifi in area any more that the comp card would usually be the culprit. But as said laptop and router only yr old.
    To clarify I have a> HP 15 Notebook PC Win8.1 64bit, Netgear WNR 1000v3 plugged into a Actiontech M1000 DSL Modem and the adapter is a Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
    I do not have money to buy new wifi router/modem combo right now, tho I know my dsl modem is old and I do need to get newer one at which time I would get a DSL Modem/wifi Router combo probably would get from Centurylink so they supported it. I bought dsl modem have now from Walmart. Maybe I need to start a gofundme for a new router/modem which is over $100.00 was told.
    off to check out the links I was given
    will be back with update Thank you so much for feed back
    Mosie

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Check for interfering devices in the area with inSSIDer. Use the free version here.

cheers, Paul
    Downloaded and ran this and it did not show any other wifi in area at all either. And I know for a fact there is next door and across street etc. The software that came with router 'NetgearGenie' gives me all the info this does.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    It could be all of the above.

While I've never done this, you could create a virtual router to see if that will help with the connectivity.

As you haven't said which Windows version you are using, I've included links for both Win 7 and 8.1.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...th_windows.htm

http://www.windows8core.com/2-best-y...windows-8-1rt/
    checked it out but do not want to create hotspot at all, only other thing using my router is my Directtv

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am back to thinking card is bad in laptop yr old or not.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    As the wireless monitor software doesn't show any networks then your network card seems the most likely culprit. Try un-installing it and re-booting the laptop, then let Windows re-install it.

cheers, Paul

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

mosie (2015-07-06)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think it should cost you more money at this time

I also have an outdated DSL modem (In my case it's from Verizon) and it does not have wireless capability
    I also have a Netgear WNR 1000 wireless router (In my case it's a v2)
    And it serves my 3 desktops and 2 laptops very well

I have seen the issues you mentioned quite a few times including not seeing available networks
    Each solution was different but were solved

Taking it to your brother's place is a good idea
    Taking the laptop to a public place as mentioned is also a good idea and I believe your laptop will connect

Calling Netgear back up would make sense.

My son ran into a very similar situation a few years ago; bought a Netgear wireless router recommended by his ISP. His ISP couldn't even help him even by personally going to his home. My son called Netgear and became even more frustrated as no solution was in sight (In fact it was recommended that the issue was the laptop's wireless unit was at fault). I recommended he call Netgear back and demand a solution: his laptop worked wirelessly whenever he took his laptop elsewhere. When he called back he got someone who knew what she was doing and was up and running wirelessly very quickly and hasn't had any problems since then. Good luck

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

mosie (2015-07-06)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Will do this asp thanks Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I havent called Netgear as warranty is up but did go to their support forum and still trying to read all of what people are saying there about same issue's but when you are not a tech sometimes is hard to make sense of what is going on. Several people posted the problem was solved but did not make sense as to how it was solved. Sitting in same room as router I am online but drops as I try to walk into other rooms where it use to work just fine.I have trying to read all the info on wifi can find such as putting router up as high as possible and in middle of rooms away from windows and phones etcetc. But I am limited to where I can put it with phone lines etc.
    Anyway as soon as can will go try others wifi an see what happens 1st and then do a hard reset 2 and 3 get ahold of netgear, isp wont help as they dont support only their modems/routers. anyway thanks still working on it all as have time

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast