Thanks

Turn off address-book synching?

How can I turn off the Exchange account's syncing / downloading the offline address book in Outlook 2010? I get errors often saying "object not found" and I think it is tied in to the address book somehow. I don't need an offline address book do I -- as long as I back it up regularly?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure the best way forward for you is to turn off the local data store. Here's why.

When Outlook links to Exchange the system works well in general. However I've noticed that on a laptop, your connection back to Exchange is less than 100% available. Even on a desktop, once in a long while Exchange will go down or the network will have problems.

The thing is that if Outlook has no local data store and that link to Exchange is interrupted, Outlook becomes unusable. You can't even open it, not even for items you've already seen or used. For me I find that having a local PST/OST file with data replication keeps Outlook happy under all circumstances.

You might say "what's the point of having Outlook working when Exchange is not?" The point is, all older e-mail will be available to you. All your Tasks and Contacts will be available. You can even send messages--they will be stored in your Outbox and sent the first time your connection to the mail server is available. It's not perfect but perfection isn't the point here. You are operating under restricted conditions; a local Outlook data file gives you partial functionality under those restricted conditions.

Backups don't normally enter into it, as typically you are only backing up the local PC. Exchange is a remote system for you and will have it's own backup regime.

Still, you are getting error messages and that isn't good. I'd recommend deleting your local Outlook data files and then re-create them. If that is the source of the problem then this sequence ought to correct it. If that's not the problem then at least you've eliminated that as the source.

Deleting the local PST/OST files is safe when you normally connect to Exchange. Exchange will have a copy of all your data and the next time you connect, the new local data stores will refresh and reload from Exchange.

Thanks
    I get what you are sating. The problem with that route however is that I have "started over", oh, about three or four times, and the problem always returns. So deleting the local files doesn't cure it either.

The "good" news is that tonight I talked to my ISP, 1and1, and when they logged into my account, they found issues at their end...they say. So they said they were "elevating it" for further analysis, and would be emailing me.

I just cannot understand how, seemingly, I am alone in this issue.

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That is good news. If the ISP found a problem, either it is the source of your issue or it's another issue that you weren't even aware of. The usual problem with providers is getting their attention and you aren't having to deal with that.

Good luck!

Thanks
    So much for that being the solution. I got an e-mail this morning that said they wanted me to delete my profile and then re-construct it manually -- instead of using the Outlook Configurator they supply.

Yea, that sounds like an option -- if I hadn't already done that before.

No, this issue goes WAY back -- back prior to several rebuilds and a number of re-installs. And it's intermittent. That would seem to indicate that it is not a conflict with any software I am running alongside, because if that were so it would be consistent. It's hooked into my address online address book somehow -- in fact they told me last nite that I should delete the local address book folder -- OAB files (?) -- But I couldn't even find them on my system,. So then I tried downloading a whole new address book, but it wouldn't work.

Then I was told to delete the current offline address book(s) --but there aren't any! Perhaps THAT's what is causing the "object not found error -- no offline address book to sync with? So where is it and/or how do I set it up?

Now, this will logically bring one around full circle to the "So why not delete the profile and set up a new one?" But then THAT will come round (again) to what I said -- that I have "started over" more than once, and it seems to not fix it.

Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

BHarder (2015-07-05)

Thanks
    Joe, a couple things:

1) Am I supposed to be finding OAB files in my profile/user folder? Because I am not. Does that mean that caching is off?
    2) After I talked with 1and1 yesterday, and they wanted me to rebuild my profile, which I did NOT do, I have not had one crash of that type since. Is it possible / likely that 1and1 made some fix/correction/adjustment that fixed it, and are just not saying?
    3) The link you give me opens fine in MS Edge, but not in Firefox -- even in safe mode. Does/can MS set their sites to not open in other browsers?

There is a slew of information at that link...leaves me a bit out of breath!

Chuck

Thanks
    Joe, new info:

I started getting flags from MalwareBytes when I started FF, so I completely uninstalled and started over. Now the site loads. Drat.

Doesn't resolve the OAB issue, but I guess it's one thing at a time!

Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    If caching is off you'll not get any sych errors.

Joe

Thanks
    How would / do I turn it off, and is there a "cost" attached to doing so if I am refreshing my mail manually?

Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    The cost is not having mail available when you are offline. That is, if you are talking about cached Exchange mode.

The article I linked had instructions on disabling the OAB syncing. I would think that would be more preferable.

Joe

Thanks
    Joe,

So, if I set it to "0" in the registry, then there is no downloading of the address book, yes? Then, if I add an address to Outlook, it is being entered into the online address book, right?

And then, if I back up my address book manually, it isn't creating any OAB, but just making a backup of the Exchange address book, right?

Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yes, yes, and yes.

Joe

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

CWBillow (2015-07-06)

Thanks
    Cool. Thanks Joe.