Thanks

Formatting longer numbers as text gives the 'E' expression

Seems to happen with longer numbers--my test says for over 11 digits. Clearly it makes sense for very long numbers, but it's not behavior I want. How do I disable it?

"the 'E' expression" meaning something like...
    9.87654E+12
    Last edited by Lugh; 2015-07-02 at 02:13. Reason: getting E expression to show

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    You can change the number with lots of digits to text (e.g., begin with a single quote).
    You can still calculate using the long number, but the answer will possibly show up again in scientific notation.

You cannot turn off scientific notation as far as I know.
    However, you can right-click the cell and format it as a NUMBER and the scientific notation will go away.

Thanks
    Thank you again kweaver. I'd tried the single quote but it didn't work as expected. I since discovered it's because of different formats in the source columns of numbers. Once I found and cleaned that up, the single quote works just fine.

"scientific notation" Yes that's it, couldn't remember what it's called. Formatted as a table in my post at first after pasting, that's why the expression example didn't show until I edited it just now.