Lounger
    Thanks

Administrator Account Problem

I have a peculiar (to me anyway) problem.

I want to update the BIOS on my desktop, which is a Dell Optiplex 755.

I have downloaded the new BIOS file, but when I try to do the update I get to a point where I'm asked to enter the administrator password to continue with the update.

When I enter the password, which is the one I used to log in as Administrator, I'm told it's invalid and the update can't continue.

How can this be?

To be able to use the Administrator Account to perform this BIOS update, I first had to enable the account through Control Panel from my own User Account (which is in the Administrator Group), then remove the existing Administrator Account password (which I had never used and had thus forgotten), again from my own Account, and finally create a new password for the Administrator Account, which, as I mentioned above, was the password I used to log in as Administrator. And the password that was deemed invalid for flashing the BIOS.

I have *no clue* as to what's happening with this and I'd really appreciate any suggestions or help.

My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate N SP1 64 bit.

Thanks

Noel

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Noel,

Try resetting the Master Administrator account from Safe Mode.

If that doesn't work try the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor to reset the password to blank.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    G'day again!

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you, but first let me say thanks for your suggestions. As it happens, neither one solved the problem, but when I ran out of those options I was forced to delve a bit deeper. I used to be quite good with internals of minicomputers (yes, I'm *that* old) but I've only ever had a passing acquaintance with PC guts. So it's taken me this long to discover that the password I need is the BIOS Administrator password! I bought this Dell desktop *2nd hand* to replace my old XP box when it started to fail, and until now I had no idea that BIOS's even *had* passwords, let alone the fact that the previous owner had actually set one!

So it seems I'll have to spend a day clearing off my desk, moving a raft of papers, books and old, discarded equipment out of the study, and then, when I have a bit of room, pull the box apart and unset the password!

I can hardly wait! :-(

Anyway, thanks again for your help. In the long run, it actually *did* solve the problem.

Regards,

Noel

Thanks
    See this Dell Support article about resetting the BIOS to defaults: https://www.dell.com/support/article...9/SLN284985/EN
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    This is a duplicate of http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...=1#post1009863. Please do not duplicate threads. Answered in both places.

Joe