Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Recommend Gmail, Yahoo, AOL webmail alternatives?

I am a Gmail user of long enough duration that I did not have to provide a cell phone number, thank goodness. (Same with Yahoo. I have not checked AOL to see if they now require a cell phone number or not when creating a new account.)

I am curious to hear of other webmail alternatives that give these services a strong run for the money and whether or not they require providing a cell phone number or not. Thanks.
    Ray
    OS: 2 computers w/ Win7 Home Premium 64-bit & 2 computer w/ Windows 10 AU Pro (1607)
    Antivirus: Kaspersky; Anti-malware: SpywareBlaster, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I believe Outlook.com requires a phone number for verification. But it's the easiest way to reset your password and provide better security, so why the reluctance to provide one?

Thanks
    I do have an outlook.com address and did not have to provide a cell phone number.

@BruceR, your question is immaterial to the discussion.
    Ray
    OS: 2 computers w/ Win7 Home Premium 64-bit & 2 computer w/ Windows 10 AU Pro (1607)
    Antivirus: Kaspersky; Anti-malware: SpywareBlaster, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WildcatRay View Post
    I do have an outlook.com address and did not have to provide a cell phone number.
    Why not use it then?

@BruceR, your question is immaterial to the discussion.
    You are curious. So am I!

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks, access-mdb.

Do you use any of them?

I'm after people's own experiences with webmail other than the well-known ones.
    Ray

Thanks
    Give GMX.com a test run.

Thanks
    Thanks, access-mdb.

Do you use any of them?

I have two Yahoo, one Gmail and one outlook email addresses and I find they are all good in that I get very little spam and have only had problems with Yahoo twice (once when someone dug up their cables and once when they didn't say what the problem was). But they're free.

Trouble is, as I've said on another thread, everybody has their likes and dislikes, their horror stories and so on, so my suggestion is: suck it and see. They're free and only you can decide what your requirements are and whether each one meets them.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use fastmail and I really like them. They do only paid accounts, but I don't ever remember them asking for my phone number. Their support is good, I was hoping to find some place that had chat support but their email support is pretty fast and they know what they are talking about.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you're willing to spend a very small amount of money (I couldn't give you exact figures), you might want to look at arvixe.com. They're primarily a web hosting site but also handle domain registration and email. I use them for my two domains and need more than just email so I couldn't tell you what your cost would be, but I believe I end up paying on the order of $50/year or less for two domains, each with more email addresses than most small businesses could ever need, and web hosting with unlimited traffic (I haven't had any need to push any limits to confirm that "unlimited" means just that). I don't use webmail, myself, but occasionally do through my laptop to test a problem. From the website they have three webmail programs, all accessing the same email files so you can use any one of them at any time (the one I like best is Squirrel Mail, for the name as much as anything else!). I don't do mobile email so can't comment on suitability, but I'm sure it's available -- they couldn't be as popular as they are if it weren't!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Iíve had/have numerous email accounts with just about every free email company available in Europe and the sad truth is that only Gmail now appears to be secure and reliable. Although Iíve become quite sceptical about Googleís Ďgoodnessí, I do not know who else to recommend but Gmail when asked by people who have just had their aolyahoolivehotmail accounts hijacked.

GMX (owned by 1&1) is well laid out and easier to tame than Gmail, so I had great hopes for them, but Iíve had endless login problems with it telling me Iíve entered the wrong password. On entering password recovery and re-entering the original password it then works correctly for a few logins. After half a dozen recurrences I did some research only to find GMX customers have been hollering about the problem for ages. A real shame.
    Remember rule #1: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Industrial electrical engineer, running a system building/repair business in Cornwall UK, for the last 15 years.

Built my first computer in 1978 - in the days when you had to hand-solder in all the components
    and 16k RAM was considered extravagant!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    I believe Outlook.com requires a phone number for verification. But it's the easiest way to reset your password and provide better security, so why the reluctance to provide one?
    Like me, the OP probably doesn't have a mobile phone, but is unwilling to admit it.

New Lounger
    Thanks

What's the reluctance to use hotmail/outlook.com?

Thanks, access-mdb.

Do you use any of them?

I've been using a Hotmail account for 16 years with very little problem. I have it set up to whitelist contacts - spam never appears in the Inbox. I get 10-15 items per day in the Junk mail folder, some of which are false positives but are easy to recognize and move to Inbox. I have a Gmail account which is never used as I find it too complex, but that's just me.

Thanks
    By not allow users to sign up unless they have a cell phone, the sites are denying themselves more customers.

By not allowing users who signed up before the cell phone number requirement to permanently stop being asked for the number, the site demonstrate a fundamental disrespect for those users. That is, the sites do not see users as "important" despite the fact that without those users, the sites could not get the ad revenues they get.

This is also why I have no feelings of guilt over using ad blockers. Google, for example, outright brags that they will not respond to any user communications. My communications typically call out their lying about changes being "improvements" when the reality is that those changes make the user have to go through more steps to accomplish something than before the changes were made. In normal people's books, more steps does not equate to improving things.
    Ray

Thanks
    My favorite email provider is GMail. Just recently I read a news release where they are even improving their already Good spam remover.

I have five Gmail addresses and within the last year I added the last one, without giving my cell phone number, which I give to NO-ONE.

I guess you could call GMail "Web Mail" but I don't even think of it that way, because all email providers are basically on the 'Web'.
    And I certainly don't go to the web to get my mail. Having to log in to five different accounts every time I check my mail would be way more work than I'm up to.
    At 72, I want everything as simple as I can get it. If you have a little snow on the roof, you might understand what I'm saying.

So my solution to EASY EMail, was Outlook Express, when I was still running XP, and now that I'm using Windows 8.1, my email client is Windows Mail.
    Yes it can still be used on Windows 8.1, even Windows 10, with a simple tweak. Microsoft left the program in Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and even Windows 10,
    but they disabled it by messing with the msoe.dll file. But I found the way to fix it, so it still works.

I have it set to check all five of my GMail accounts every three minutes, all day long, and download my mail to my computer.
    I never have to go after it, and never have to log into my accounts. Windows Mail handles all that stuff.
    It even notifies me when new mail comes in, with a friendly little female voice, telling me, "You've got mail!"
    What could be better than that?

Once a week, or so, I actually go to Google Mail and check my accounts for Spam and empty the Spam and Deleted Items folders.
    I also have a Yahoo account that I was forced into getting years ago. It's all spam, so I go there and delete everything every few weeks.
    I really don't know why I even bother. Eh? I'd love to just cancel that account, but I've never found a way to do that.

So for me, and for what just works good, and is easy to set up, GMail does it for me. I've set up hundreds of email accounts at GMail for my friends and customers.

Cheers mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast