Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry USB flash drive problem

hi everybody, i recently got a problem with my usb flash drive saying it needed to be formated but i dindt want to lose all my importants files .

I recovered my files with a tool but now i cant open my word there always that error saying that the file cannot be opened because there is problems with the content ... Plz help me
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    There is nothing recoverable in that file - it's just a string of Hex 0s. Given your problem description, it seems like the USB drive was removed from the PC without going through the safe removal process. This often leads to catastrophic file corruption, especially with Word documents. Time to restore your most recent backups of those files.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yup. Been there and done that also.
    In mid 2015 USB Flash drive drivers are still NOT reliable. They are more likely to fail than DVD's (or even floppy disks). I use flash drives a lot for interim backup (to supplement hard drive and optical drive back ups of course) but always use two of them and several times have been glad I had the copy. USB 3.0 runs very hot which is early death for most electronics.

It also does not matter that you are religious about using the "safely remove" feature as it often does not work giving a bogus message that the drive is in use when it is not! Of course MS does not identify the program 'using' the drive (if you are not alert you may mistake the error message for the OK message). In these cases you can try to log off and back on to free up the utility but sometimes simply must reboot to safely remove the drive. But be sure to take out the drive when the machine is off. (I actually had the experience of rebooting in this situation while leaving the USB drive connected only to get the false "busy' message again after restarting!)

Thanks
    I use the same RULE with Flash Drives that I used for years with Floppy Disks.....that being,,,,,, if the light is on, in the Flash Drive, don't remove it, because it's either reading or writing data.

Just for general information:
    Flash drives are getting bigger and bigger, but some computer BIOS's will not recognize a 64GB Flash drive, or larger.
    The PC (Windows) will usually recognize that something has been plugged into the USB port, but it won't read the drive.

I have a 64 GB Flash Drive that can not be read on some Older PC's, but works great on newer PC's.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Just another note it is not a good idea to open a MS Word document on a flash drive. My policy is to always copy the document to the hard drive do the edits then copy back to the USB flash drive. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

toextra (2015-07-12)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Generally, i sweet talk the flash drives and all is well (your flashing light is sexy and mesmerizing ...). But, sometimes you get a bad-boy drive and you just have to talk tough to it (come out now with your hands up! ....)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    hi everybody, i recently got a problem with my usb flash drive saying it needed to be formated but i dindt want to lose all my importants files .
    Sometimes when that happens, the drive works perfectly well on another computer.
    It's worth a shot.
    Michael

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've noticed that when I get the "drive is in use" message, if I close my browser it will then say it's ok to remove. For some reason.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Just another note it is not a good idea to open a MS Word document on a flash drive. My policy is to always copy the document to the hard drive do the edits then copy back to the USB flash drive. HTH
    Hi RG:
    Do you know why this is? Now ya scared me!
    Thanx,
    Tom

Thanks
    You can set the removal policy of the thumb drive to Quick Removal which will prevent data corruption due to write caching. A small sacrifice to thumb drive efficiency at the gain of data integrity.

Device Manager > Properties under USB drive > Policies tab > Removal Policy > tick the Quick Removal

HTH,
    Maud

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by toextra View Post
    ...Do you know why this is? Now ya scared me!...
    Probably because back in the days of floppy disks opening a Word doc directly from the floppy disk would cause errors because of the lack of sufficient disk space on a floppy disk (1.44MB, whereas your USB "flash drive" AKA "thumbdrive" AKA "pen drive" AKA "memory stick" etc. probably has plenty of freespace).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Tom & All,

I wish I could recall the reference but I did just see it recently and it has something to do with how Word saves its document recovery files.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maudibe View Post
    ...Device Manager > Properties under USB drive > Policies tab > Removal Policy > tick the Quick Removal HTH, Maud
    This is done for each USB stick, correct? If so, I can do that on the one I daily use.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    This is done for each USB stick, correct? If so, I can do that on the one I daily use.
    I came across "Removal Policy" recently and figured it applied to all USB devices. Would be great if am wrong.
    Last edited by KIWIpeteW; 2015-07-13 at 21:48.

Thanks
    Roland,

Quick Removal is the default setting but it can be set differently for each stick. Window remembers the dirve

Maud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast