Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

"Extended attributes are inconsistent" error message

I'm trying to track down an error message "the exended attributes are inconsistent" which occurs whenever I try to do something as a Standard user requiring Admin priviledges. I type in the password and the error message occurs. The only way to get anything done is to log out and log in under an Admin account, do the updates and then log out and log back in under a Standard user account.

I'm using Win 7 Service Pack 1. Searching Google shows that this error message has plagued Windows users for years and after hours of searching online I cannot find any real solutions to the problem. I've updated video card and sound card drivers as suggested by Microsoft. Do these type of baffleing error messages still occur in Win 10?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Are there any other kind? This normally indicates there is some system file corruption. Try running System File Checker.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try changing the sound for Windows User Account Control to (None):

UACsound.PNG

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had high hopes that this one would work. Anti MalwareBytes ran without the error message but when it came time for Thunderbird to update and I typed in the Admin password I got the same error message again.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    Are there any other kind? This normally indicates there is some system file corruption. Try running System File Checker.
    When I type "System File Checker" in the Start menu search box it finds nothing to run.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dkolasa View Post
    When I type "System File Checker" in the Start menu search box it finds nothing to run.
    sfc /scannow at Administrator Command Prompt:

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Cryptic hell designed by Microsoft. One must right click CMD then Run as Administrator even if running as an Admin already to do sfc /scannow. Then wait. Then I got the message that some files could not be repaired. Then open another CMD prompt go through the same dance to read the log file and realize that the "utc.user.json" (I cannot remember it all as I'm not running as Admin account and cannot repeat the actions without going through it all again) file is corrupted but cannot be replaced until one goes through a pile of more cryptic steps and I cannot find my Win 7 disk. Even then, the error message said it couldn't match versions of the file. I'm so angry with Microsoft I'd like to grind Bill Gates' balls in a blender. Why "upgrade" to Windows 10? Windows is an OS created for masochists. I still get the original error message.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You have some file corruption that needs to be fixed. To do this you need a Windows DVD as the source of the "known good" files. This post has details: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post992422

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    "utc.user.json" is one of two files which can be "unintentionally flagged as corrupted" by KB3022345 (see Additional Information)

A fix is available if necessary: Windows 7 update (KB3022345) causing corrupt files

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I downloaded the SFCFix.exe and SFCFix (x64 fix) files and followed the instructions to save both files to the desktop . When I ran SFC /scannow again, it said that no corrupt files were found. Feeling encouraged I logged off, went into the Admin account and changed my account to Standard User. When I clicked on Start and typed in CMD and right clicked on it and said to Run as Administrator I got the same error message as at the begining of this thread. The fix did not work. Notice the error message refers to the attempt to run the CMD prompt as an Administrator. 2nd Attributes Inconsistent.JPG

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I'd be running DISM.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post995093

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did what you suggested and got the following error message: (I don't have the kind of computer referenced in the article nor do I run Win 8.1. I use Win 7 SP1)
    PaulAdvice.JPG

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I no longer get the corrupted file error messages when I run SFC after following BruceR's link above but I still get the "the extended attributes are inconsistent" error message when I try to run an update to Flash or many other apps and Win7 prompts me for an Admin password while I'm running a Standard user account.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Have you run the DISM command?

If you can't fix it with these suggestions you may need to re-install from scratch. (This is why we recommend regular image backups.)

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I did run DISM and got the error message as per the image posted above. I read the ultra cryptic log file, dozens of pages of cryptic text which told me absolutely nothing. I have an image file from a month or so ago but what good is it to reinstall the same files that are causing the problem to begin with? This problem has been occurring for months now.

I wish I'd bought an Apple II instead of an MS-DOS machine decades ago. Life would have been so much better and more productive. Maybe Windows 10 will change things? Maybe I'd be better off just running in Admin mode all the time?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast