Star Lounger
    Thanks

Has anybody had experience with EMET on XP SP3?

Microsoft says that "EMET helps protect against new and undiscovered threats even before they are formally addressed through security updates or antimalware software", which sounds pretty good to me. I don't know anybody who uses it, though, so I'm looking for experience with EMET under XP SP3, which needs all the security help it can get.

I have tried early versions of MBAE (Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit), which seems to be about the same thing as EMET. MBAE caused some application and browser conflicts for me, so I gave up and haven't been back. If you took a shot with MBAE, I'd like to hear about that,too.

Thanks!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Looks like the most current version, 5.2, is not available for WinXP.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=46366

The previous version, 4.1, appears to still be available.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=41138

But, with support for WinXP ceased in April 2014 there may be no more updates for EMET on WinXP.

Edit: I checked and EMET 5.2 wouldn't download using Firefox, had to go with Internet Explorer for it [ugh].
    Last edited by Berton; 2015-07-04 at 18:09.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Looks like the most current version, 5.2, is not available for WinXP.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=46366

The previous version, 4.1, appears to still be available.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=41138

But, with support for WinXP ceased in April 2014 there may be no more updates for EMET on WinXP.

Edit: I checked and EMET 5.2 wouldn't download using Firefox, had to go with Internet Explorer for it [ugh].
    Thanks, Berton... looks like poor ol' XP loses again... I also have a W7 pc, so I might take a look at EMET there... even if I have to use IE to download it...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You're welcome.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use EMET on all XP installations...which is now down to two. 4.1 is the last with support for XP. Berton is correct that there will not likely be any further updates for XP as support for 4.x ends June 9, 2015. But truthfully due to XPs limitations EMET was limited to only few mitigations anyway. Better than nothing ... for free.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been trying out HitmanPro.Alert and Heimdal Pro on some of my systems, although not on XP. In my Web research, I haven't come across any indications that they don't work on XP, so if I were looking to fortify an XP system, I'd start with those two. They seem to complement each other rather than conflict or overlap.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JorgeA View Post
    I've been trying out HitmanPro.Alert and Heimdal Pro on some of my systems, although not on XP. In my Web research, I haven't come across any indications that they don't work on XP, so if I were looking to fortify an XP system, I'd start with those two. They seem to complement each other rather than conflict or overlap.
    Thanks, JorgeA. The HitmanPro site has a graphic comparing their product quite favorably to EMET, MBAE, and others. They offer a free scan that I'll try and see what happens...