Thanks

Unknown error in 10162 Upgrade

On my Inspiron 580 I get to 23% on features and drivers and hit a wall;

WP_20150704_19_21_20_Pro.jpg

I'm not sure what's going on here. I've tried 3 times but no go. Checked my BIOS, nothing is amiss. Trying to upgrade from 10130.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I'm downloading the ISO now, will set it up on USB and try a clean install.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Last week I upgraded 10130 to 10159. Problems including 10159 insisted I had to login with my M$ account and I was locked out of my preferred local account. And I could find no way to network between Win10 and my Win7 PCs.

Gave up in disgust and restored an image of 10074 from late May, then upgraded that to 10162 using a DVD. Now have it sorted out; everything seems to be working.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    I went back to Windows 7 and hit the same roadblock. Tried an early version of Windows 10, same roadblock. I finally did another clean install. Can't see squat on the network with MS account, but works just fine with a local account. I didn't have much installed, so it won't be that big a deal to get back up to speed.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I upgraded the 10 side of my laptop to 10162, and can't get a wireless connection because I can't find a place to input the passcode for the router. I stumbled onto it one time, put it in, but it still wouldn't connect. I haven't been able to find it again.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    In "Network and Sharing Center" click on "Change adapter settings" (on the left) then right-click on the Wi-Fi adapter then left-click on "Connect/Disconnect".
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    In "Network and Sharing Center" click on "Change adapter settings" (on the left) then right-click on the Wi-Fi adapter then left-click on "Connect/Disconnect".
    The only thing I can get to is "Connect to a wireless network manually" and when I click on that, I can put in the passcode. When I click "Next", it tells me that network already exists.

I'm just going around in a circle, getting nowhere. I can plug in an Ethernet cable, but that's not gonna cut it.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I did finally get an error code on my Inspiron D580, "0xC1900101 - 0x30018".

Still piddlin' with that one. I've disabled my onboard LAN adapter and Audio in BIOS, trying again. We'll see...

>>> edit: that didn't work, either. Funny that a clean install works fine, but the upgrade gets to 23% of installing features and drivers (40% overall progress) and throws the error code.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-07-11 at 20:27.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    While I was piddlin' with something else, 10166 started downloading. I'll see how that goes...

Unleash Windows

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Coochin (2015-07-11)

Thanks
    Further to my #3 post.

Before upgrading to 10159 I was running only a local account. Now in 10162 in WU advanced settings it says that I must log into a M$ account to get new builds.

Have set a password and PIN for the local account, and will set up a M$ account, then see if I get locked out of the local account again.

Thanks
    I added the M$ account, verified it, and can still sign in to the local account.

But when I go to Windows Update in the M$ account there are no options for preview builds, and when I check for updates 10166 is not offered.

When I sign in to the local account and go to Windows Update the options for preview builds are there but clicking any of them leads only to Edge loading an Insider Program webpage about "flighting" (apparently "flighting" means getting preview builds) and how to end it.

There were two options suggested to end flighting: 1. involved rolling back to a previous OS, but only if the current build had been installed within the last month, and 2. involved a clean install of Win7 or Win8/8.1.

The first option won't work for me because none of my Win10TP build installs/upgrades have been from a previous OS. Obviously the second option means opting out of the insider program.

I have backup images, so might think about clean-installing Win7 SP1 on the Win10TP partition then see what the build 10162 install DVD does.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    But when I go to Windows Update in the M$ account there are no options for preview builds, and when I check for updates 10166 is not offered.

When I sign in to the local account and go to Windows Update the options for preview builds are there but clicking any of them leads only to Edge loading an Insider Program webpage about "flighting" (apparently "flighting" means getting preview builds) and how to end it.
    I made my Admin (added, not the default Administrator) account the MS account, and my account I regularly use a standard user. That seemed to clear up the Fast ring/new build issue for me.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I have clean-installed Win7 SP1 x64 HP on the WIN10TP partition. Activated no problem. Have installed latest available drivers (interestingly the ATI-AMD HD3870 VGA driver download's filename is "amd-catalyst-15.7-sb-sata-ahci-win10-win8.1-win7.exe" and was dated 7/8/2015).

It will probably take a few hours to install all the WU patches (usually 160+).

EDIT: WU just finished checking for updates and lists 207.