New Lounger
    Thanks

No password set and now locked out!

I have just bought a lap top (HP). When setting up Windows 8.1, on the screen asking for a password I left it blank. This is because I do not need a password and so did not want one. Ignorance of lap tops perhaps!
    Now when I boot up it welcomes me and ask for my password. I am permanently locked out of the machine.

Can anyone provide a solution, short of wiping the whole thing and losing the O/S?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    My experience installing Win8.1 is that an E-Mail address is needed with a resultant password. Sometimes your local E-Mail will work, I have had a Hotmail account for more than 12 years so I used that, became my Microsoft Account user name.

You won't lose the OS if you do the factory restore which puts the computer back to its shipping date, when you received it. You should visit www.hp.com and look up your exact model number to assure you have the correct procedure, especially if it came with no printed documentation.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

Olleym (2015-07-05)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Problem Solved

In the mysterious way that computer logic works the problem has been solved.
    I decided to put on a linux O/S and leave Windows for later. The iso disc was ignored but a screen came up if I wanted to restore Windows, so several hours later I have Windows 8.1. But it such a brute of a thing I try to put linux on as well and wait for windows 10.

Thanks to the person who offered help, even though I did not have to go that far.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I have no password on My W8.1 and it never asks for one. I also don't use an MS account.

I'd wait 6 months for them to iron the bugs out of W10.

cheers, Paul

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-07-05)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I have no password on My W8.1 and it never asks for one. I also don't use an MS account.

I'd wait 6 months for them to iron the bugs out of W10.

cheers, Paul
    Is that not a little risky Paul? or is that an offline machine.

Hmm although now that I am thinking about it I never put one on my 8.1 transformer
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    What's risky about not having a Windows password? I don't have my disks encrypted so my data is not secure anyway. (It is backed up though.)

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    What's risky about not having a Windows password? I don't have my disks encrypted so my data is not secure anyway. (It is backed up though.)

cheers, Paul
    I am not a security tech but I have always heard advice to HAVE a strong pw on a machine, that may be for a corporate environment where a computer is not physically secure.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    A password is to prevent others using your system / ID (mail in particular). Not an issue here.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    After googling to find statements to the contrary, I will say it.
    I sit corrected.
    David