New Lounger
    Thanks

How to migrate Office when Windows 10 launches - or will it be necessary?

I have installed a preview version of Win 10 in a partition I created on my hard drive. All went well, and of course, no apps came over.

I can live with using Win 7 for Office for a few weeks. But I am wondering - how, on July 29, do I get my copy of Office 2013 to migrate over to the final installation venue? Will it happen automatically?

Maybe I am asking the wrong question. What will happen on July 29? Do I install the final version on my original partitiion (where Win 7 currently resides)? Does it happen automatically? Thoughts?

Many thanks,

David

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    As I understand the process, at this time, one needs to be booted into Win7 or Win8.1 and the upgrade should be part of the updating process. If allowed to install on your Win7 everything should stay the same unless you have a program that won't run on Win10. One of the updates should have put an icon on the Notification Area named Get Windows 10 that looks like the Windows key, 4 white squares. I believe the presence of that icon means the computer qualifies for Win10.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    And I got that icon and replied in the affirmative. Thank you for the clarification.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You're welcome.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Dave,

No, it won't be.

Just to further clarify... the "Reserve" that you did means the install(er) for Windows 10 will be downloaded to your W7 or 8.1 OS for you on the 29. It will then be up to the End User to initiate the install, the Upgrade... they have 12 months, until 28/7/16 to do that @ N/C. It does not install, only downloads the installer... does not self-install or auto-install. The User does that. Microsoft is only looking after the download for you not, the installation of said download. When the End User does set the process in motion it will change the location where the 7 or 8.1 is to Windows 10. This renders the (other) drive holding W10 Beta as no longer having any raison d'etre and it can be formatted.
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-07-06 at 22:12.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Dave,

No, it won't be.

Just to further clarify... the "Reserve" that you did means the install(er) for Windows 10 will be downloaded to your W7 or 8.1 OS for you on the 29. It will then be up to the End User to initiate the install, the Upgrade... they have 12 months, until 28/7/16 to do that @ N/C. It does not install, only downloads the installer... does not self-install or auto-install. The User does that. Microsoft is only looking after the download for you not, the installation of said download. When the End User does set the process in motion it will change the location where the 7 or 8.1 is to Windows 10. This renders the (other) drive holding W10 Beta as no longer having any raison d'etre and it can be formatted.
    Drew, thanks much.

I created a partition on my hard drive for the Windows 10 beta. I presume that installation of the gold version will not touch the beta partition and it will be up to me to (1) format the beta partition and (2) merge the resultant empty space back into the partition from whence it came.

Correct?

Thanks again.

David

Drew, thanks.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    David, hello.

Just a funny, whence includes the meaning of from, no need to type from whence. eg: From what place or origin or source;"whence did he come? Tee ! hee !

Seriously now, I am using all of Office 2000 on my three machines here on version 10167 of W-10, it has not done anything to it on many install of this OS, nary a thing was changed. You should have the same result with you Office 2003.

Have fun, I am. Jean.

Thanks
    Win 10 Tech Preview (Build 10130) wanted me to re-activate my MS Office Pro (2013). Subsequent builds were not a problem (Such "issues" are to be expected with what is effectively "beta" software).
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.