New Lounger
    Thanks

Reformat media drive?

I have a 500Gb external drive that was originally set up to expand TV show storage beyond the DVR's (PVR in Canada) capacity for a long-gone satellite system. (Now, current systems seem to have "infinite" capacity.) The drive was formatted by the satellite provider to suit the needs of their system, not Windows.

The drive is connected to my system as a media drive. I need to reformat the drive as a Windows drive but am at a loss as to how to do that. The Format command is not readily available for that drive.

Any suggestions?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CanTex View Post
    I have a 500Gb external drive that was originally set up to expand TV show storage beyond the DVR's (PVR in Canada) capacity for a long-gone satellite system. (Now, current systems seem to have "infinite" capacity.) The drive was formatted by the satellite provider to suit the needs of their system, not Windows.

The drive is connected to my system as a media drive. I need to reformat the drive as a Windows drive but am at a loss as to how to do that. The Format command is not readily available for that drive.

Any suggestions?
    Right-click Computer/My PC/This PC and click Manage. In the Disk Management section look for the drive, if there I usually right-click and delete the partition/s then a partition can be created followed by formatting as NTFS. If the drive doesn't show there I will boot to a GPARTED CD and delete the partition/s.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The drive does not show up in Disk Management. Sadly (for me) I have no idea what you mean in the last sentence. I do see the drive under Device Manager but all I can do there is check/update the drivers (all OK).

This might just get in over my head really quickly so I have to be careful. (Oh, the computer is an HP laptop running Windows 8.1)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If the disk does not show in Device Manager probably means it has a proprietary partition/formatting [most likely scenario] and Windows can't handle it. Since Device Manager sees the drive it can be presumed the BIOS does also.

The GPARTED disc has a version of the Linux Operating System.
    http://gparted.org/download.php
    It is a free .iso download then use a disc burning program to create the CD then boot to it. Doing so on a Win8/8.1 computer [changing the boot process in the BIOS] is different from using a Win7 or earlier computer.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

CanTex (2015-07-06)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    If the disk does not show in Device Manager probably means it has a proprietary partition/formatting [most likely scenario] and Windows can't handle it. Since Device Manager sees the drive it can be presumed the BIOS does also.

The GPARTED disc has a version of the Linux Operating System.
    http://gparted.org/download.php
    It is a free .iso download then use a disc burning program to create the CD then boot to it. Doing so on a Win8/8.1 computer [changing the boot process in the BIOS] is different from using a Win7 or earlier computer.
    Thanks. I'll take a really deep breath and try it. But since external HDs are so inexpensive I need to pause and consider my options first.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Try it anyway. You'll learn something in the process.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    If I recall correctly, with GParted it is very easy to accidentally erase your system drive if you are not careful. There is a dropdown in the upper right I believe, that has to be changed to the drive that you want. My version of Gparted is old, newer ones may be different.

Be sure to check the size of the disk you are about to wipe, to make sure it is the right one.
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 2015-07-08 at 11:26.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    If I recall correctly, with GParted it is very easy to accidentally erase your system drive if you are not careful. .
    Name the drive something that will distinguish it from all others, good advice in any circumstance (IMHO). IE C Drive XP, D Drive Data, L Drive Music ....
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    1. If you are worried about erasing your system drive, disconnect it and then run GParted. You do not need to have the system drive connected to run Gparted. Your system dive should show up as "sda1" in GParted. The external drive will have a different letter in the 3rd position.
    2. If the external drive does not show up in Disk Manager, are you able to use it at all? If the file system is not recognized by Windows (e.g. Linux ext3) none of the data on that drive can be accessed.