New Lounger

Word 2013 shortcut icon to print to a specific printer

I work with Microsoft Word 2013 for 10 hours a day. Through out the day I print to 2 different printers in different parts of the office. I use my quick print shortcut quite a bit and always end up sending the job to the wrong printer. I do this constantly and it drives me crazy. Does anybody know if there is a way to set up a shortcut in Word 2013 for each printer. I'd like a shortcut that would enable me to send a job to a specific printer without having to go through the printer dialog. Has anybody ever been able to do something like this?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    What you're asking for would require at least one macro, possibly two. A single macro attached to a shortcut key combo could be used to change printers, print, then change back again. Of course, you're still going to have to remember to use the shortcut and, given the fact you say you're constantly forgetting to check which printer is active, I'm not confident you'd do that...

That said, a suitable macro might be coded along the lines of:
    Sub AltQuickPrint()
    Dim StrPtr As String
    With Application
      StrPtr = .ActivePrinter
      .ActivePrinter = "HP LaserJet 4 local on LPT1:"
      .ActivePrinter = StrPtr
    End With
    End Sub
    where "HP LaserJet 4 local on LPT1:" is the name of your default printer.

The above macro switches printers, prints the document, then switches back again.

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]