Star Lounger
    Thanks

Open Read-Only/Save Writeable (97 SR-2)

I'd like to have a user select a file from a list of of read-only documents, and execute some VBA code upon selection of that file. I need a little help with that code.

I want the user to take a read-only copy of a document and save it automatically somewhere else (don't worry about where) with the same file name, only it is an editable copy when saved. I thought it would be as easy as a documents.open and a documents.save, but it bombs on the .save step. Can anyone help? I will also want to do this in reverse: open a writeable copy and save it back in the original area as read-only. Please point me the way -- I'm confused about which methods to use.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Open Read-Only/Save Writeable (97 SR-2)

Hi Dale:
    Just a suggestion. You might have better luck with an answer by posting the question on the VBA board.

Thanks

Re: Open Read-Only/Save Writeable (97 SR-2)

You need to use the .SaveAs method and set the new path immediately; .Save will incur the same issues as issuing File, Save from the interface (a "This file is read only..." error). Often, when you bump into this kind of question, it helps to record a macro and see which methods correspond to which menu choices.