3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

New Question on newest version (6) of Macrium Reflect Free

Ok, I had another thread pertaining to restoring an image using Reflect Free. One of the issues entailed the fact that I would first need to use some boot media. I could not boot from C-drive and then bring back an earlier image from an external HD.

Now to my question. The notes on the new version indicate"

"
    • You can now add a boot menu to easily restore system images without inserting rescue media. "

Can someone explain what this means? It sounds like it will solve my problem in the other thread (ie: no boot media device). Does this mean that if I want to restore an image, I can do so without having to use a boot disk. That's what it says. So, would I start my computer and press F2 and get to a boot screen and have the option to run Reflect??

Or would this option to use Reflect show up every time I boot my computer (not a fan of this)

I guess I'm asking about the nuts and bolts of doing it.
    Mel

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Compiler,

From the Macrium Help File:

Caution

Absolutely the first thing you need to do after purchasing and installing Macrium Reflect is create rescue media

If you lose your Windows operating system, you can start your PC using Macrium Reflect rescue media on CD, DVD, or USB stick. This makes creating rescue media the first thing you need to do with Macrium Reflect. It contains a bootable, lightweight version of Windows and a full version of Macrium Reflect.

This lightweight version of Windows is called Windows Pre-installation Environment (also known as Windows PE or WinPE) and is provided by Microsoft. When you create rescue media, Macrium Reflect downloads Windows PE automatically for you and writes it to your media. It downloads just those components you need to rescue your system.
    and

You can boot your computer into Windows PE from a CD, DVD, USB stick or USB attached external hard disk. For convenience or for automated restores to your system disk, you can add Windows PE to a boot menu that's displayed when your system first starts. Although, do not rely upon this local copy as a rescue mechanism because it could be lost if you suffered hard disk failure or corruption leaving you without a method for rescuing your system.
    Hope this clears it up for you. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Uh...Retired:

Yes, I am totally aware of that and the necessity of having such media.
    I'm sorry that I was not clear at all in my OP.
    Let me put it another way. Suppose I CAN boot from the "C" drive. Previously, I could not do a restore image this way. I would have to use a boot disk. I would LIKE to skip that. Will this now allow me to skip the boot disk in such a circumstance

Mel

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Mel,

If you can boot from C: you can run your copy of Macrium from there. The boot menu option only makes it easier to use the recovery media as you don't have to tap a key (different depending on computer) to get the boot menu. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs