Star Lounger
    Thanks

windows 10, bitlocker, is NSA preventing release in windows 10 home?

Subject: encryption and windows 10
    I have windows 10 insider, playing with it.
    I was ecstatic in that bitlocker was included
    LO and BEHOLD, it will NOT be included in windows 10 home, from what I've read.
    OK, so go on the web to look for other encryption alternatives.
    truecrypt is dead, and veracrypt rising from the ashes, and not many other alternatives.

OK, they don't work with UEFI, so UEFI can be disabled, in windows 8, 7, etc

BUT, now Microsoft is making it OPTIONAL for computer makers to ALLOW UEFI disabling, so you might get a computer that does not ALLLOW disabling, so you CANNOT use many of the disk encryption programs out there.

WHY does Microsoft not releas BITLOCKER for general use?
    They are restricting the alternatives out there, and not providing a solution.
    and I don't need Windows 10 pro; I just need BITLOCKR.
    and with security and data breaches, you would think that they would consider general release of this

IF they are concerned with general users screwing up their hard drive, they could require a separate license activation for it;
    with disclaimer, you accept the risk of fire, death, computer explosion, etc, but you are requesting BITLOCKER

is perhaps the NSA part of this, PREVENTING wider distribution of BITLOCKER?

I feel it is a bite in the rear end for them to limit my use of either truecrypt or veracrypt, by allowing manufacturers to restrict my use of programs that are out there; an encrypted hard drive provides more protection than UEFI anyway

anyway, just my two cents
    thanks
    nick

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks for reply.
    I don't profess to be an expert in this, but I do have many concerns about what government bodies can do to this data.

SO, Microsoft restricts bitlocker to higher cost software, thus restricting many home uers;
    AND, they now create possible LOCKOUTS to currently available software such as truecrypt, diskcryptor, etc, with the UEFI option to not disable it

GREAT !

All I want to do is encrypt my stuff so that the common thief, if they got my machine, does not get financial, business, personal data; I do realize that I can't probably protect against the three letter bodies, etc.
    but at least I can try and slow it down : - )

Thanks again, and I wil keep that thread link, it is interesting reading

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Microsoft have made a marketing decision about which SKUs of Windows will contain BitLocker. Sorry if that does not line up with your expectations. If you really need BitLocker you'll have to buck up for Win10 Pro. In the mean time look at encryption using a zip product such as 7-Zip (free) or WinZip (paid) or some other. A simple search Best Zip Encryption will show you quite a few products to check.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    that is the problem. If you read about the UEFI, the new machines with windows 10 MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO USE the available encryhption programs.
    Microsoft has not only not proviced bitlocker to lower end windows, but also put a potential RESTRICTION TO THE AVAILABLE encryption tools, but allowing compouter manufacturers to NOT HAVE an unlock to the UEFI, to allow BIOS use.
    I've used TRUECRYPT for many years, but if I get a new machine, with windows 10, I may not be able to use that.