New Lounger
    Thanks

Word section headers not working as expected

Hi
    I just registered and would like help in finding a solution to my Word document section headers. I'm prepared to share my document so you can see where the problem is.

I converted a PDF document to a Word document. When I look at the results, I had problems with the section even and odd headers. Some issues I was able to resolve by finding solutions online, however, I still have header problems remaining that I can't seem to find a fix for.

Hope someone can help.
    Thank you
    Lyse

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Lyse,

Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster.

If you could post the document and provide a fuller explanation of what the problem areas are it would be most helpful to finding a solution. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi RG
    Here's a link to the document
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/3lu6a5cq6f...20v1.docx?dl=0

The document has many sections. The page/header sections use even & odd formats. Even pages no. have a right header with a website link (www.herbalhealinginc.com). Odd pages no. have a left header with a telephone no. (1.844.643.7225).

Page 9 is the first page that goes wrong. It doubles the page no. and retains the old telephone #. I can't for the life of me figure out how to delete the wrong data (old telephone) and the doubling of the page no.

Page 10 & 12 appear to have manually entered page no. and header.

Page 15 and onwards, neither the website link nor the telephone no. does not appear. I don't know why.

If you can make any sense as to what could have gone wrong I would be very grateful.

Thanks
    Lyse

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Lyse,

Unfortunately, the conversion from PDF did NOT go very well.

1. There are Phantom sections:
    2. Missing Section 17.JPG
    3. Graphics are overrunning the page margins.
    4. Headers have Text Box overlays.
    5. Who knows what else?

Hopefully you've saved the original PDF to use a a guide to get things recreated properly.

My suggestion would be to:
    1. Delete the Headers and make sure you get all of them.
    2. Resize the graphics to fit within the margins.
    3. Search & Destroy Phantom sections.
    4. Look for and fix any other anomalies caused by the conversion.
    5. Recreate the Headers.

FWIW: You might want to consider changing the columns to tables as that would be a better construct for the display setup as you could easily control the box size vs the conversion method of padding with paragraph marks. Speaking of which if you don't have the markup symbols showing you should turn them on in options so you can see what is going on!

Converting from PDFs with a lot of graphics tend to cause a lot of problems in my limited experience.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi RG
    Thank you for the feedback. I indeed have the original PDF.
    I'm a web developer and no where near a Word expert. I'll have to decide if it's worth my time as it would take me a lot of time to learn about these features and ensuring they work smoothly. Perhaps using a conversion expert would be something to think about. There has to be such service providers out there!

Again you time and review of my document is much appreciated.

Lyse

Thanks
    A document converted from pdf is unlikely to have anything properly set up for page numbering, sections, or headers and footers.
    Here is a summary of the settings for headers and footers.

Converted files are always formatting kludges. They may look and print correctly but can be a nightmare to edit. When editing any file, it is helpful to display non-printing formatting marks.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2015-07-08 at 09:10.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi
    Given that you have all the art work and the text it might well be quicker to build the document from scratch.
    This contains a nightmarish collection of hassles.
    Have someone build a template and then create and populate a document based on that template.
    Geof

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyse View Post
    Page 9 is the first page that goes wrong. It doubles the page no. and retains the old telephone #. I can't for the life of me figure out how to delete the wrong data (old telephone) and the doubling of the page no.
    The top of the page has two textboxes overlayed on the page. Click on that area, then on the border of the activated textbox and press delete. You should now see a single textbox with the 1.844.643.7225 phone number. The page # will also need fixing, as the header isn't linked to the previous Section and 'age 7' appears in a textbox instead of 'Page 9'.
    Page 10 & 12 appear to have manually entered page no. and header.
    Correct. Whereas page 8 uses a field and the header is linked to the previous Section, that doesn't appear to be the case for any of your odd-numbered pages, or for even numbered pages after page 8. You could fix that by setting each of the affected Section's headers to 'same as previous' and inserting a PAGE field in the first numbered odd-page header in place of the typed number there.
    Page 15 and onwards, neither the website link nor the telephone no. does not appear. I don't know why.
    Again, setting each of the affected Section's headers to 'same as previous' should cure that.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul,
    I was able fix Page 9 as you suggested.
    I tried your suggestion setting affected section's odd pages to "same as previous" but I loose all data in my even page sections.
    Thanks
    Lyse

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Try the attached (https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvtuok97jt...20v2.docx?dl=0). Some elements on the pages might have moved but otherwise it should be OK.
    Last edited by macropod; 2015-07-10 at 00:17.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul,

This is wonderful!
    Thank you so very much for your expertise and help fixing my issues.

Lyse