2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 upgrade on a dual boot machine

I see lots of discussion about installing Windows 10, including with a secondary operating system on a dual boot machine. I have an extra "play" machine with Windows 8.1 and Mint 17 on it. I have no personal files on it, I mostly just start it about once a month to get updates, etc. I plan to download and install Windows 10. So, my question is, what happens when it installs on a dual boot? Will the Mint 17 partition be deleted? That wouldn't be a disaster, of course; I can always re-do it, but I was thinking Windows 10 would simply install on the partition-and only the partition - Windows 8.1 is on. No?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Win10 will be installed only on the Win 8.1 partition. Other partitions should be left alone.

Joe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Rje,

My GUESS, and that is all it is, it that it will NOT delete any partitions but will replace the boot loader thus rendering access to Mint null and void. However, a quick install of EasyBCD and you should be able to regain boot access to Mint. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, two slightly different opinions, but with near opposite results. If I expect Mint will be rendered useless, then I should eliminate it before upgrading. Heck, I could wipe the entire HD and re-install W7 SP1 from the disk that came with the laptop. This is why it's a "play" machine and good for learning. Nothing to lose.
    Actually, I think I'll wait a bit and see if somebody reports the results of a similar situation. It's got to happen.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Not at all. Your MINT partition should not be affected. An upgrade to Windows will install a new boot loader. You just need to get the new boot loader to know about Mint.

Joe