3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Web Of Trust on Firefox

Seems like my Firefox add-on are acting up lately. Had problems with PassWord Box as discussed in my previous post and now my WOT (Web Of Trust) add-on has changed.

Web Of Trust was a handy add-on which showed the potential threat of a web search with Green, Orange, or Red circle after each search results. By not opening a Orange or Red you reduce going to a unfriendly site.

My WOT account is active and I have signed in on their site, but no colored circles are showing up on my web searches.

Anyone have a suggestion how to turn them on again.
    Richard Spring

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Richard,

I'm using WOT 20150705 on FF 39 w/o problems. I'd suggest checking that it is Enabled as sometimes when FF updates not all add-ons get reenabled. If it shows enabled then I'd uninstall it. Reboot. ReInstall and see if that fixes the problem. BTW you don't have to have a WOT account for the software to work. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Ditto.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Will try your suggestion and let you know the results.

Thanks,
    Richard Spring

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you checked your WOT settings? Either right-click the WOT option in the FF taskbar and select Settings, or FF Tools > Add-ons > WOT > Options.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, removed and re-installed WOT. Checked setting by using icon on my menu bar, which seems okay. Still no colored circles on my web search results.
    This one has me confused.
    Any ideas?
    Richard Spring

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Do you get the WOT circle in your browser when you go to a page?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Which version of FF have you got. My WOT works fie, having just installed it on FF39. But it's not marked as signed and I believe that FF40 won't allow unsigned extensions to work (though I may be wrong on that). If this is so and if you've got a beta of FF40 than that might be the problem.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Using FF 39 and yes I see the WOT green circle on my menu bar between window for current URL and window for "Search". Have right clicked green circle and chose "settings". Set to Normal settings.
    Richard Spring

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What other add-ons are you using with FF? Possibly there is a conflict with another add-on? Try disabling all of them except WOT, see if that works, and if it does, re-enable the others one by one until the problem recurs. If a culprit is found, then possibly you can re-configure it to remove the conflict - or do without it altogether.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Iíve had lots of trouble with extensions on Firefox 39.0 Ė even Adobe Flash Player continually refused to install, despite several total uninstalls of Firefox and the broken Flash Player remnants. WOT was not a problem though.

Finally, after much registry clearing out (despite this weekís newsletter headline article, thanks goes to CCleaner!) I appear to have finally managed to get it all working now.

I know the internet is becoming a much more complex place to cope with but frankly Firefox updates appears to be trying to outdo Google Chrome in the Ďmost annoying and unreliable browserí stakes.

Iíve tried most of the other browsers over the years but they have mostly all waxed and waned regarding their ability to open pages with consistent reliability. I still have Opera as an alternative on my main system but find its quirkiness distracting. At the risk of hijacking the thread, anyone out there with ideas of up and coming browser alternatives that I may have missed?

Cheers, Chris
    Remember rule #1: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Industrial electrical engineer, running a system building/repair business in Cornwall UK, for the last 15 years.

Built my first computer in 1978 - in the days when you had to hand-solder in all the components
    and 16k RAM was considered extravagant!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I find Flash won't install unless you close FF, install, then open FF.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Cooper View Post

I’ve tried most of the other browsers over the years but they have mostly all waxed and waned regarding their ability to open pages with consistent reliability. I still have Opera as an alternative on my main system but find its quirkiness distracting. At the risk of hijacking the thread, anyone out there with ideas of up and coming browser alternatives that I may have missed?(
    Chris,

Whilst I too still use Opera, and used to use FF, for the latter I have (many months ago now) substituted Pale Moon. It is a streamlined version of FF, has many less updates, and is able to use most of FF extensions. I can strongly recommend it.

FWIW the Pale Moon team now have a version of Thunderbird, and for me that appears to have less issues than TB. It is known as FossaMail and I have been using it satisfactorily now for several months. I like the way the Pale Moon team operate.

HTH, Garth

14. The Following User Says Thank You to garthp For This Useful Post:

Chris Cooper (2015-07-19)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Garth, thanks for the tips.

Following a long stint with K-Meleon, I started using PaleMoon about three years ago and canít remember why I went back to Firefox last year Ė possibly some download add-on stopped working?? On your recommendation, Iíll give it another go now they appear to have distanced themselves somewhat from nanny Firefox. Iím also going to have a look at Firefox Light.

I was interested to hear about the FossaMail fork from Thunderbird - stable email clients are hard to find. I have several customers who use Tbird and they drive me nuts with trying to sort out the various instability problems of the later versions. Iíll give FossaMail a spin before letting it loose on them!

Cheers, Chris
    Remember rule #1: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Industrial electrical engineer, running a system building/repair business in Cornwall UK, for the last 15 years.

Built my first computer in 1978 - in the days when you had to hand-solder in all the components
    and 16k RAM was considered extravagant!