New Lounger
    Thanks

Similar but not the same WD My Passport problems and Windows 7 as other threads. HELP Please!

Hi, I am a new poster here. This is quite similar to another thread (by another poster) however that one got a little off topic and never provided a solution. I have tried the usual fixes and this is a rather distinct situation.

This is about ALL of my WD Passports and Windows 7 HP x 64 on one of my computers.

All of passports worked perfectly in three of my computers, all (3) are running the same exact version and updates of Windows 7 H.P. x 64) However, one of the two Toshiba laptops, no longer recognizes ANY passport properly. The one laptop DOES recognize and use two different USB thumb drives and my Ipod and Android smart phone. Just not the My Passports.

One can see the passport in the Disk Drive section of Device Manager as (i.e. WD My Passport Ultra 1234 USB Device). Likewise, one can see it in the unplug device tray in bottom right corner hidden icons area, but not by its "correct" name only the generic one (i.e. Passport Ultra 1234).

If one opens Disk Management, any Passport appears as an empty external drive identified only as a “basic” disk drive # 2. It does show as correctly partitioned and formatted.

No passport appears in any fashion in the Drive section of Windows/File Explorer (i.e. where C: Drive or USB drives appears on left side).

As I said, this is with all passports in all USB ports ONLY on this one computer. All drivers have been uninstalled and reinstalled and if you update driver Windows says it is current. I don’t know what I did, if anything, but essentially the drives are rendered useless in this laptop. My detailed letter to WD Customer “service” went un-replied-to aside from the robo confirmation of receipt.

I have run Windows Fixit Device tool and a couple others. No problems shown anywhere aside from above symptoms. I cannot restore as the earliest time available is post this problem appearing.

Other computers use the devices so they all are fine. They are recognized enough to connect/disconnect device and be half read by both Disk Manage and Device Manager.
    A little help here, please! Thanks.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Can you post the Disk Manager screens showing the disk on a good machine and on the faulty one?
    Start > Run, discmgmt.msc
    Use Windows Snipping Tool to save the screenshot as PNG, then upload here.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Can you post the Disk Manager screens...cheers, Paul
    Hi Paul! Sorry for the delay, I had to get home to the laptop in question. Anyway, first is shot of "bad" laptop. You can see in DiskMgr it sees the 3 partitions but shows them as empty.
    CaptureDisk.PNG

The second image is the disk manager from "goodcomputer". Disk shows all data correctly.
    GoodDisk.PNG

The third image is, of course the device in device manager and is basically correct.
    CaptureDisk1.PNG

The fourth image is a snip of Windows File Explorer in the GOOD Computer. It shows, correctly, the "name" of the Passport and a working drive letter K.
    GoodExplorer.PNG

As one can see in fifth image, Windows File Explorer on the BAD computer, passports don't show at all. (The E drive referred to is a "phantom" that appeared around the same time this started and it shows regardless of what is plugged in or not).
    BadExplorer.PNG

I failed to mention earlier, if you click on "phantom drive letter you get the insert disk before opening type of message...as if it was not plugged in. When updating drivers from DiskManager>properties>drivers show as current and device working correctly.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    May be a bad USB port / adapter, but that's pretty subtle.
    Have you tried running "sfc /scannow" from an Admin Command Prompt to fix any Windows issues?
    There is also DISM.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post995093

cheers, Paul