Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Seems like 5TB should be more than 500GB

I just used Windows 7's disk management tool to format a new 5TB drive and it gave me a partition of 500GB. What did I do wrong and how can I correct it?

Sorry for the newbie question but I would like to have use of the entire drive

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Does Disk Manager show the whole disk as used? Can you post a screen shot from Windows Snipping Tool?
    Does DM show 5TB? Maybe the your PC cannot see a disk that big.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    This Microsoft article on "Windows support for hard disks that are larger than 2 TB" is well worth a read...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

Erik47 (2015-07-10)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I did format the disk with GPT and I'm attaching a screen shot. You'll see at the bottom of the window that Drive G: is only 561.40 GB. After I post this I'll reboot and take a look to see if my machine supports UEFI.
    Capture.JPG

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Erik,

You might want to try formatting it as NTFS which allowed me to use all of my 1Tb drive.
    Disk Management.JPG.

Just to clear up terminology: You Partitioned the drive as GPT and Formatted it as exFat. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-07-11)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Is exFat even supported on GPT drives? I don't see any of the normal partitions if it is GPT. Note RGs system drive and all the GPT partitions.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think the problem is I have a computer with a BIOS instead of UEFI. I'm assuming UEFI is an *alternative* to the BIOS not a setting within it. I had a problem booting into the BIOS today, and I never did get there: my system hung, the BIOS wouldn't come up, and Windows was corrupted. I'm thinking at this point if I need UEFI support I have a good reason for my next system build. I haven't done a build for a while because with the addition of an SSD boot drive, this old machine has remained plenty fast enough. I guess now it's time.

I assume that as a practical matter, getting UEFI will mean a new motherboard, CPU and RAM. Correct?

And BTW RetiredGeek, you'll notice I have a couple of 2TB drives which are NTFS formatted. I guess I can try that on the 5TB drive but my thought right now is that I won't get more than 2TB with NTFS either, on this old machine.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    UEFI is still a BIOS, just under a new nomenclature. The basic difference is in the way booting is handled.

Boot into the BIOS settings and see what capacity the mobo sees.
    Boot Windows, delete the partition you created and see what size new one you can create.
    If your mobo / Windows won't handle the new disk capacity then it's pressy time! New mobos should all be UEFI - you may be able to find one that isn't if you search hard enough.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    AFAIK Win7 has a 2TB partition size limit, even for NTFS partitions within a GPT partition. Don't be misled into thinking "oh but my Win7 system can access my 5TB NAS, so it should be able to handle a 5TB internal HDD".
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As I read it, the Microsoft article BATcher referenced above confirms that Win7x64 can handle >2TB drives. As I recall, I formatted the drive to the maximum size I was offered at the time, and I thought it was odd. I'll delete the partition and try again though, but first look at the Toshiba site to see if there are any drivers for this drive (though I think the chance of that is remote at best). But maybe they will have a FAQ or something with a detail I've overlooked.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Win 7 64bit, check, but the chipset storage drivers, especially Intel, has to support larger drives over 2TB. Most important of all is confirming you have GPT type disk and not MBR. Disk management should show at least 4 partitions I think if it's GPT.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Don't be misled into thinking "oh but my Win7 system can access my 5TB NAS, so it should be able to handle a 5TB internal HDD".
    Exactly. My two NAS drives [1TB and 2TB] connected by Ethernet to my Router have a computer in them, don't rely upon the BIOS on a motherboard for support. I can access either drive from Windows7/8.1/10, Mac OS X Yosemite and Linux Mint 17.1, read and write.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Disk management should show at least 4 partitions I think if it's GPT.
    F.U.N.,

Maybe for a boot disk but not for others.
    PartitionMiniTool.JPG

I'd suggest you get Partition Wizard Mini-Tool Home Edition (free) and take a look at your setup.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Win 7 64bit, check, but the chipset storage drivers, especially Intel, has to support larger drives over 2TB. Most important of all is confirming you have GPT type disk and not MBR.

We are all getting confused here!
    W7 64bit should have no problem w/ a 5TB GPT drive. See Post #3
    Disk management should show at least 4 partitions I think if it's GPT.
    Nope. If it is a boot disk it may have 2 by default visible in DM and one not normally visible.

but the chipset storage drivers, especially Intel, has to support larger drives over 2TB
    This is a possibility and needs to be checked.

Why did you chose exFat in the first place? It may have been a stumbling block that caused the problem in the first place.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A little math is enlightening, I think.

As everyone here knows, disks with MBR-type partitioning are limited to appx 2TB, which is the product of the MBR-partitioning scheme's 32-bit sector counter times the legacy sector size of 512 bytes/sector:

512*2^32 = ~2.199 decimal terabytes

Sector counts higher than that will cause the sector counter to "wrap around" and start counting up from zero again.

Everyone is also well aware of the difference in how manufacturers measure disk sizes--e.g., decimal vs. binary--so let's assume Erik's 5 TB disk is 5 * 10^12 bytes (decimal terabytes).

If it were formatted MBR, the sector counter would wrap around twice, leaving the remainder:

(5*10^12) - (512*2^32) - (512*2^32) ~= 601,953,488,900 bytes

which translates to:

601,953,488,900 / (2^30) ~= 560.61 binary GB.

From Erik's screen shot (showing 561.40 GB), it kind of looks like the disk is actually formatted MBR rather than GPT.
    Last edited by dg1261; 2015-07-11 at 00:03.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dg1261 For This Useful Post:

wavy (2015-07-17)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast