Lounger
    Thanks

Alphabetize Address List (Outlook 2000)

Right now my address list is alphabetized with first name, last name. Any ideas on how to change it to last name, first name? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Alphabetize Address List (Outlook 2000)

Here is some VBA code I came across and tinkered with some time ago. It gives you the choice of ordering by First Name, Last Name and Company Name. You will need to check that your Tools|Macro|Security settings are not set to HIgh before you can try to run the code.
    1. <LI>Unzip the file to somewhere simple to find.
      <LI>Go to Tools|Macro|Visual Basic Editor (or Alt + F11).
      <LI>Choose File|Import in the VB Editor. Import olOrderContacts.bas and olUsrChoice.frm.
      <LI>Close the VB Editor and choose Tools|Macro|Macros (or Alt + F8)
      <LI>Run ChooseOrder and follow the instructions on the User Form. This should rearrange your Contacts folder and the Address Book that derives from it.
    You can change it back if you don't like it.

HTH
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Gre

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

contacts folder or the address book?

for filing order, tools | options | contacts button

in address book and depending on the mode you are in, tools | services, address book properties.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

MaryJ

I could only ever get those choices to work on new items going forward - which is why I hung on to the code. I think posy88888 is looking to change her entire address list. Is there a way to do that without using code?
    Gre

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

it depends where you want to change it - in contacts, you can only use code. in the address book view, you can change it from last, first to first last.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If the Address Book is based on a Contacts folder, then it seems to follow the same rules as Contacts itself: a global change requires code.
    Gre

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

not necessarily - and where to change it depends on the mode of outlook used.

you can sort the address book in corp mode by either first last or file as. only if file as is first last, then code is needed.

in IMO mode, i think the sorting in the AB is independant of the contacts folder - and first last may be the only option. Code can't control it because it's just a virtual view and it's not exposed in the object model. i don't work with many IMO users to be sure on it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Assuming you have used the regular input form, with a first & last name in the proper fields:
    You can right click on the bar just above your contact list and select "Field Chooser" and add the last name field and also delete the first name field. Then, after closing the box,you can move the fields wherever you want them in the bar.
    Once you have the fields you want, click on the field and the list will be automatically alphabetized in that order. Sometimes, you have to click twice - but not often.

You can click on any of the fields on the bar to sort that way. This is handy if you don't happen to know the last name - just click on the first name field - or vice versa.