Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

AVG 2015 free version: Warning

Not sure if this is the correct place for this post, but be aware that the AVG Update Server has been out of action for the last three days, and I've just been told it may be another three business days before it is expected to be fixed. You get an "Update Failed, sorry we couldn't reach our update Server" message.

Note also that Scans will no longer run, so your system is left in unprotected mode in the meantime. Probably not a good idea to contemplate any upgrades in this area until it is fixed. Their official response (from India!) was that it was only affecting some users. My O/S is Win/XP Pro SP2 - and yes there are valid reasons for my staying at this level.

Their Technical Support Submit function is also not working - no doubt for the same reason. Their Contact phone numbers are well hidden from public view, but after some persistent sleuthing I found a number that works for anyone that needs it
    1 844 259 8812.

Not a satisfactory situation at all from a purported 'major industry player' in the critical anti-virus s/w area. I'm a long-standing AVG user & have never struck anything like this before. Ironically, I came across the problem when my AVG UI screen became obliterated with chinese-like characters. Nothing else was affected, so I'm not sure whether this arose from a 'failed' AVG update, or another virus of some sort (catch-21 situation for sure).

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a couple of hours ago I had to reboot my Win7 computer due to an AVG program update. And I just did a manual update in the last 3 minutes without issues.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is this the FREE version you're complaining about (as a "long-standing AVG user")?

Perhaps your expectations are a little high, especially as an XP user?

Not sure why the response deserved an ! because it was from India?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnrfnz View Post
    the AVG Update Server has been out of action for the last three days, and I've just been told it may be another three business days before it is expected to be fixed. You get an "Update Failed, sorry we couldn't reach our update Server" message.
    I don't know where you got that idea from, but there are no problems with the AVG server. If there were, the AVG Free updates that installed automatically for me some hours ago, with no hint of any server problems, wouldn't have been possible.

As for:
    Quote Originally Posted by johnrfnz View Post
    Scans will no longer run
    that and your server access problems suggests the problem is with your system, not with AVG, per se. AVG has never required internet/AVG server access to run a scan.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Well, John has gotten it from the "horse's mouth" that a server is down - wouldn't that be locale related rather than global ?

Thanks
    Perhaps a scan by Malwarebytes et al is in order at this time....

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Perhaps a scan by Malwarebytes et al is in order at this time....
    That had crossed my mind but would you still be able to open AVG if it had been disabled because of an infection ?

Thanks
    That I don't know but it would be good for the OP to at least eliminate this possibility.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Well, John has gotten it from the "horse's mouth" that a server is down - wouldn't that be locale related rather than global ?
    My updates come direct from the AVG server (@ update.avg.com). I also don't use a proxy server. Errors of the 'Connection with update server has failed' kind are not necessarily caused by problems with the AVG server. See: http://www.avg.com/au-en/faq.num-4484
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, folks,
    There does appear to be a problem with AVG Antivirus Free 2015 automatic updates. According to the AVG Support Community posts, the problem has been going on for the last two weeks. Some Community members have provided a temporary solution of downloading the vdf update file manually and then performing a manual update from the local hard drive. You can read more about it in the following two posts:

https://support.avg.com/answers?id=906b00000004uz8AAA

and

https://support.avg.com/answers?id=906b00000004uDiAAI

It appears to be affecting some people but not everyone. I guess the folks down under in Australia must have a clean NSA pipe to the updates.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LarryNY For This Useful Post:

BruceR (2015-07-14)

Thanks
    Guys, Gals, several security suites are offering their own DNS funnel [for my lack of their official wording]. Is it possible that one of these internet security suite's "DNS funnels" is the problem?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    I'm running AVG 2015 FREE on most of my 12 PC's and they have reported NO such problems. As an old PC Tech, I'd have to suspect a Virus or Trojan putting out those error messages. In the many years that I've used AVG FREE and Retail, I've never seen such a message.
    Since I've never seen such a message, I can't comment or advise further.

Cheers mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    I'm running AVG 2015 FREE on most of my 12 PC's and they have reported NO such problems. As an old PC Tech, I'd have to suspect a Virus or Trojan putting out those error messages. In the many years that I've used AVG FREE and Retail, I've never seen such a message.
    Since I've never seen such a message, I can't comment or advise further.

Cheers mates!
    The Doctor
    Great post, very helpful.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    As an old PC Tech, I'd have to suspect a Virus or Trojan putting out those error messages. In the many years that I've used AVG FREE and Retail, I've never seen such a message.
    Did you miss the part of post #10 where AVG staff acknowledged that AVG 2015 Free has had an issue with automatic updates since July 1st and that they still don't have a proper solution for the many users affected by it?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The AVG Support Community threads mentioned in post #10 both end with an AVG employee stating that the problem seems to be with people who are still using Windows XP SP2. They recommend updating to SP3, but otherwise may have a solution in the next week. With software developers focused on Windows 7, 8, and 10, it's unreasonable to expect them to put in much time trying to make their product compatible for a 12 year old operating system with a market share that has fallen to 12% and doesn't even have the latest service pack. If your unwillingness to update to SP3 is because you have an AMD processor, then read the second support thread where they mention a possible solution for that (AVG employee post July 26, 2015). Otherwise, you may want to consider a different antivirus product. Avast system requirements include SP2, so that's a possibility (https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB3#artTitle).

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cloudsandskye For This Useful Post:

CEScott (2015-07-31)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast