2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Event Viewer Question

I had a SSD failure during the course of fine tuning my Windows 8.1 install. The OS was so messed up, with lockups, error messages, etc. This was computer h$ll at it's finest.

Anyway, as I was trying to fix that which was ultimately not fixable, in Event Viewer under "Administrative Events", there was a dialog box that popped up entitled "Query Error". Inside the dialog box was a message that said" the system cannot find the file specified. Events displayed are partial results."

Now, I have a a working system with a new drive, a clean install of windows 8 and Windows 8.1. The Administrative log still shows the dialog box with the error that's no longer of value because Event Viewer is now recording everything properly. The dialog box with the error is no longer of value. Can this be fixed so I don't get myself confused in the event of further problems, or is it too much of a hassle and is something that should be just left alone? Thanks very much.

Diane
    Last edited by PeachesP; 2015-07-10 at 07:56.
    Homebuilt PC--Corsair Graphite 760T (W) Tower; Intel Haswell-E I7 5930K; 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4@2666MHz; ASRock X99 Extreme 6 Mobo; Corsair AX860i Platinum 860W PSU; Corsair H110 Cooler; EVGA GeForce GTX980 AC/SC videocard; Crucial MX 100 512GB SSD; Spinner 3TB WD Black; Asus Blu-Ray; Asus DVD/RW; 3 Bitfenix greens; Coolermaster 240mm; EaseUS Backup; USB3 Toshiba B/up drive; Office 2007;Windows 10 Pro

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could try clearing all of the logs http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-clear...-command-line/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    You could try clearing all of the logs http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-clear...-command-line/
    I cleaned out Event Viewer, all logs, incl Administrative. They are all empty, but when I open Administrative it still gives me the "Query Error" dialog box only there are no files in the Administrative Log.

Anyhow, I have a lovely looking Event Viewer and I will live with an errant dialog box as it doesn't seem to do any harm, but annoying me.
    Homebuilt PC--Corsair Graphite 760T (W) Tower; Intel Haswell-E I7 5930K; 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4@2666MHz; ASRock X99 Extreme 6 Mobo; Corsair AX860i Platinum 860W PSU; Corsair H110 Cooler; EVGA GeForce GTX980 AC/SC videocard; Crucial MX 100 512GB SSD; Spinner 3TB WD Black; Asus Blu-Ray; Asus DVD/RW; 3 Bitfenix greens; Coolermaster 240mm; EaseUS Backup; USB3 Toshiba B/up drive; Office 2007;Windows 10 Pro

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Don't worry, the Event Viewer will soon fill up with something

Decided to Google the problem and came up with https://kickthatcomputer.wordpress.c...error-message/ if you want to give it a try, but it does say it's a dirty fix so create a restore point first before making any changes.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

PeachesP (2015-07-11)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Don't worry, the Event Viewer will soon fill up with something

Decided to Google the problem and came up with https://kickthatcomputer.wordpress.c...error-message/ if you want to give it a try, but it does say it's a dirty fix so create a restore point first before making any changes.

Thanks so much for taking the time to search on the web. I should have but didn't.

Anyhow, I got into the registry and started scrolling down where the "sub-key" was supposed to be. I didn't see my particular entry. Maybe I wasn't in the right place. Discretion is the better solution for me here, so I just decided to let it be. I usually only look at Windows logs anyway and not that often particularly if everything is going okay.

Well, everything was okay until I booted up this AM with a message that said "Audio Enhancements are causing problems". I fixed that so I am not to be disappointed about the new cleaned event viewer filling itself up in a hurry.

Thanks again for your help.

Diane

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Well, as long as it isn't broken, broken and the only time you would see it is in Event Viewer, then probably best to let it just get on with it

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I looked again and found the little bugger in the registry and applied the "dirty" fix that cleaned up the "query error" dialog box.

Now the only errors are the ones that belong there. Thanks again.

Diane

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Perhaps the fix wasn't so dirty after all

Thanks for the update - you can use the Thread Tools dropdown to Mark Thread as Solved.