2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Registry follies

Intel Core i5 CPU K655 @3.2 GHz x64
    P7P55LX mobo
    Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit patched to date

My registry is throwing some strange errors and I don't understand either them or it. These errors are specific to maybe three programs:

Hugin, the shareware panorama maker from Sourceforge - Can't create/open/set value of 135 different registry keys on startup when tip window appears. Similar warnings pop up when running the program which works some of the time (garbage today).

FastPictureViewer: cannot set options in the program, checked items are unchecked on next start-up. I believe these things reflect changes to the registry.

Process Explorer: Messagebox: "Unable to extract 64-bit image ... run from a writeable directory." (PE is on the eminently writeable desktop.) I can run a version of PE from 2011 but anything newer throws this error. I don't know whether this is a registry problem or not.

Everything else seems to work OK. Since I understand so little about the registry, I am wondering if there is something about my set up that might be causing the problems.

"No," is a good and acceptable answer.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Thanks
    We have a few registry gurus here, can you give a couple of specific examples?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Did you try a System Restore to a date prior to the issues? Or even better, a backup image restore....

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The only true errors came from Hugin, the latest version installed within the past month. The attached file is a list of those errors.

I am guessing that the FastPictureViewer errors are in the registry, there are no specific error messages when running it.

Process explorer is a toss-up.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In your example, the registry key in every case is "HKCU\Software\Hugin\....", and the error in every case says "access is denied". The CU in the key name stands for Current User, so it looks like the current user (presumably yourself) does not have access to those registry keys. Does the Hugin application have to run with Administrative privileges, for example? What user actually runs it?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You may be having permission problems with the registry and directories. This implies disk/file corruption.
    Run CHKDSK on your C: drive.
    Run "SFC /SCANNOW" from an Admin Command Prompt.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Admin? Admin? Who the hell is the admin? Me? No, only when it lets me.

I log on using the "admin" account (I do know that's a bad idea). BUT some of my programs will not run normally from that account, they require some kind of extra admin privileges available only by rt clicking the exe (in some places) and selecting "Run as administrator."

When I rt clicked on Hugin in the list of "all programs" from the Windows icon, and selected "Run as administrator," it behaved perfectly well with no errors.

FastPictureViewer (a critical tool for a recent modification of my workflow) appears to have TWO sets of options on this computer: a default set active when I launch FPV through its association with image files AND a hidden set available only to rt click\ run as admin. For example, when I rate jpg images or apply color labels as I go through a set, default behaviour is to make XMP sidecar files. I checked the FPV option to write the new metadata to the jpg file without the sidecar but the sidecars were made, the metadata was never written and that option had defaulted when I closed FPV and restarted it.

This morning, I launched FPV with rt click/ run as admin, from its file name exe in the FPV folder under C:\Program Files. (Interestingly, run as admin was not available when I right clicked the name in the "All Programs" list from the Windows key - I digress) Not only was the "write to jpg" option available, it was CHECKED from yesterday! I was able to rate and apply color labels to a group of test images and that metadata WAS written to the jpg files as advertised and without sidecars.

Clearly, I have some kind of permission problem but I have no idea about how to find and fix it.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Thanks
    Right-click the shortcut for the program you want to run as administrator. Left-click on "Properties". In the "Properties" dialog left-click on the "Compatibility" tab. Left-click to tick the "Run this program as an administrator" checkbox. Left-click "Apply" to save the setting, then "OK" to close the dialog.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As always, it's damned if you do, damned if you don't.

FastPictureViewer does to a linked image file exactly what its name implies - double click on a file name and the image appears, rikki tik.

Changing it to "Run this program as an administrator" now always brings up the "Do you want the following program to make changes ..." messagebox and the rikki tik becomes "First, you click."

There seems to be no way to eliminate this security pop-up just for this program and I don't want to lose it for all the others.

Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! I'll have to think about this.

Thanks for the help.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecherub View Post
    ...Changing it to "Run this program as an administrator" now always brings up the "Do you want the following program to make changes ..." messagebox...
    That is "User Account Control" checking that you meant to run an administrator-level program. Don't make the mistake of turning UAC off, as that raises serious security issues.

Better to use ElevatedShortcut: http://winaero.com/download.php?view.38

ElevatedShortcut for Windows 7 and Windows 8 allows you to bypass the UAC prompt for selected applications and run them elevated without any confirmation via the special shortcut.

According to Fred Langa ElevatedShortcut also works in Vista.

To run the program, simply click the ElevatedShortcut file. The program is standalone (self-contained); it doesn't need to be installed. Running the app opens a simple, self-explanatory dialog box.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is annoying the hell out of me. ElevatedShortcut does give me access to FastPictureViewer (FPV) without the UAC warning but the joy of FPV is in linking it to image files. Dbl clicking on an image file brings up the UAC messagebox because ElevatedShortcut is not accessed.

I have tried to reset permissions using subinacl as recommended by bleepingcomputer but, so far, unsuccessfully.

Is this something I'm going to have to live with until I transition to Windows 10?
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    An alternative might be to download IrfanView for fast picture viewing:

http://www.irfanview.com/

it is very quick to load and display.