Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Oldie, like me !

Hello. I am typing at you on an old Thinkpad, 9 yo, and it runs W-7, SP-1. CPU is a 2.86 but only 2 megs of RAM. It has installed KB 3035583 yesterday. It still does not show the small Windows on the Notification area after three re-boots. When installing this KB WU, it took a long time to so do and I presume that it was "looking" at the machine to see if it was capable of W-10. Does it really mean that it would not run W-10 ?

This old Faithfull is destined to my wheelchair stuck brother. It runs W-7 quite acceptably. What would happen if I were to now install W-10 with a DVD of 10166 ? A slow performance is immaterial as all my Bro does is email, nothing more.

Opinions please. All best wishes. Jean.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post

Another oldie, here

I've decided to skip Win 10 and move to a different brand OS if necessary.
    Win 7 does all I need and is still safe enough with the security apps I've installed.

But this made my decision final, this morning when I read this from Forbes:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...rtner=yahootix

opening quote:
    Windows 10 is famously ‘free’, but Microsoft has been worryingly silent about just how free it really is. Now, only 17 days before release, leaks suggest ‘free’ Windows 10 might not be a good deal at all…
    The article makes me want to 'run away' from MS and not look back.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Stick to W7 on that box and get a new one with either W8 or W10 when you are ready. (I'd avoid W10 for 6 months post release.)

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Stick to W7 on that box and get a new one with either W8 or W10 when you are ready. (I'd avoid W10 for 6 months post release.)

cheers, Paul
    I 2nd Paul's recommendation

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I clean-installed Win10TP Build 10162 a couple of days ago on a 17.3" Gateway MX8738 1.73GHz 2GB RAM Notebook that originally came with Vista. It worked fine then it updated to Build 10166 today, also no issues.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul & Cmptrgy, thanks but

>>> Stick to W7 on that box <<<

is not a solution. I am hard headed enough to find a way other than this. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Berton, hello.

This clean install is not my desired solution as I am out in the boonies and I have no medium here to rebuild that machine if I were to do so. I have three machines here that suffered an in site install of W-10 and I am trying to see why this old machine would not go along. To each his own. All best wishes. Jean.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JackStone View Post
    Another oldie, here

I've decided to skip Win 10 and move to a different brand OS if necessary.
    Win 7 does all I need and is still safe enough with the security apps I've installed.

But this made my decision final, this morning when I read this from Forbes:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...rtner=yahootix

opening quote:

The article makes me want to 'run away' from MS and not look back.
    That's a really bad article & the meaning you & others, have taken out of that or attached to it is incorrect. It has taken something & extrapolated something out of it that was never there in the 1st place, @ all. Completely distorting something into something it never was. There is no subscription & not going to be!!!! Not for Win10 nor its Updates Grrrrr.!!!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Jean “Opinions please” Here they are

You have a 9 yo Thinkpad that runs W-7, SP-1: 2.86 CPU: “but only 2 megs of RAM” for your brother.
    “A slow performance is immaterial as all my Bro does is email, nothing more.”
    --- Sounds easy enough

“I presume that it was "looking" at the machine to see if it was capable of W-10. Does it really mean that it would not run W-10 ?”
    Check out Win10 requirements
    https://www.thurrott.com/windows/win...m-requirements
    For compatibility info, see the Windows 8.1 Compatibility Center.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...Language=en-US

“This clean install is not my desired solution as I am out in the boonies and I have no medium here to rebuild that machine if I were to do so. I have three machines here that suffered an in site install of W-10 and I am trying to see why this old machine would not go along.”
    --- “This clean install is not my desired solution”
    --- It will be nice if your desired solution (I’d say a nice clean upgrade with reliable performance) can happen
    --- I suspect it will be up to you to keep the computer safe and secure and well maintained as the OS matures. If that’s what you like to do, go for it
    I hope the above links will help in determining at least some of the issues
    --- Is there a reason that you expect at least a decent install compared to those 3 machines?

“>>> Stick to W7 on that box <<< is not a solution. I am hard headed enough to find a way other than this.”
    --- What are you gaining when the computer runs just fine on Win7 especially since email is the only intended use?
    --- You already know “this old machine would not go along”
    --- BTW did the attempted upgrade revert back to Windows 7 when “this old machine would not go along”
    --- We don’t know what’s going on: error messages? Freezing? Anything else?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    That's a really bad article & the meaning you & others, have taken out of that or attached to it is incorrect. It has taken something & extrapolated something out of it that was never there in the 1st place, @ all. Completely distorting something into something it never was. There is no subscription & not going to be!!!! Not for Win10 nor its Updates Grrrrr.!!!

When I read quotes like this:

http://www.computerworld.com/article...-deferral.html

The revelation will also affect customers because the deferral will be tied to the "supported lifetime of the device," a phrase Microsoft has used for several months to describe how long it will provide free updates and upgrades to Windows 10.
    I become skeptical of the way MS uses the term 'free'.

The concept is really nothing new.
    In many bars, the peanuts are free as long as you keep buying the beer
    Customers easy to please wind up eating a lot of nuts.
    But I'm old and grumpy!!

I already have updates with my Win7 until January 2020, so there's plenty of time to figure out MS's intentions and the true cost of Win 10.
    Last edited by JackStone; 2015-07-12 at 11:48.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JackStone View Post
    I already have updates with my Win7 until January 2020, so there's plenty of time to figure out MS's intentions and the true cost of Win 10.
    I still work in XP most of the time and will likely not make the full switch even to Win7 until Win13 gets sorted out.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    "I already have updates with my Win7 until January 2020, so there's plenty of time to figure out MS's intentions and the true cost of Win 10."

"I still work in XP most of the time and will likely not make the full switch even to Win7 until Win13 gets sorted out."

I'm just going to try to cover both of these things together....

How long or until when 7 will receive updates should not be seen or used as grounds for delaying moving to Win10. The same good reasons exist now as will later. The only intentions are to give the world a good, useful, appealing, productive, secure, OS. And the true cost of Win10 (not counting the free Upgrade offer) is about $120 for Home edition, $200 for Pro & $100 to Upgrade Home to Pro. That's it. If one is still using an old XP machine, that should not be connected to the Net. And, since I can't see Windows 13 being a typo, will just mention there will not be a Windows 11, 12 or 13. To repeat, the future is Windows 10 & its Updates... no new OS versions... AND, no more Service Packs.

Thanks
    If one is still using an old XP machine, that should not be connected to the Net.
    I disagree. I have a couple of older clients that just cannot afford the hardware and software expense of upgrading XP to a more modern OS and they haven't had any issues. As long as you have good browsing and email habits along with a decent AV. (Not Microsoft Security Essentials), you can safely continue to use XP while connected to the internet. if you have bad browsing and email habits, it doesn't matter which OS you use. I've seen no evidence of the dire predictions of massive XP home user infections since Updates were halted.

Jerry

Banned Member
    Thanks
    People are free to think whatever they choose regarding the use of XP on the Net. Does not change anything. It remains a bad thing to do. Yes, there are "Best Practises" but, not relevant when it comes to, NOW, using XP on the Net.

As, already, has been explained. One can think they & or their machine is fine or use, "Everything HAS been fine" but, still, actually, changes nothing. OR nothing justifies the risk being taken to that machine or others beyond it.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Hello. I am typing at you on an old Thinkpad, 9 yo, and it runs W-7, SP-1. CPU is a 2.86 but only 2 megs of RAM. It has installed KB 3035583 yesterday. It still does not show the small Windows on the Notification area after three re-boots. When installing this KB WU, it took a long time to so do and I presume that it was "looking" at the machine to see if it was capable of W-10. Does it really mean that it would not run W-10 ?

This old Faithfull is destined to my wheelchair stuck brother. It runs W-7 quite acceptably. What would happen if I were to now install W-10 with a DVD of 10166 ? A slow performance is immaterial as all my Bro does is email, nothing more.

Earlier, I merely posted to my position, but not yours.
    I suspect your laptop will run just fine with Win 10.

But, at what cost was my comment.
    Further:
    But what about security?
    This will be unknown till the RTM is tested and with MS cutting back on the efficiency of it's AV I do have to wonder how much additional security is built in, or have the bean counters influenced the final product to save.
    This we really won't know until malware writers attack it and professional and independent testing is done.
    MS is changing their business model and I wonder how it affects users.
    Time will tell, but I don't intend to be their guinea pig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast