Thread: cursor default

Lounger
    Thanks

Angry cursor default

Just switched from Word 2003 to 2010. Hated it at first, but am learning to deal with the changes. More available features but sometimes there are several steps to get what I'm looking for.

My question relates to Word & Excel (2010) both, indirectly. When I exit (X) the program the popup asks if I want to SAVE. Usually I do want to save, and I'd like to have the cursor to default to the "SAVE" position instead of staying up there in the top, right corner of my screen. I don't find any settings in Microsoft Office 2010 to make this happen.

I have a Logitech mouse & keyboard. I've made relevant adjustments in the Control Panel. In most instances the cursor finds the default position as I expect, but in Word or Excel, it just sits there and I have to manually move it all the way to the middle of the screen ... WHEW! That's tiring and wastes a lot of my precious time!

Can someone help me, or is this a ridiculous request?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    OSP,

I think as close as you can get is:
    Control Panel
    Mouse
    Pointer Options
    DefaultButton.JPG
    Of course if the default is NO that's where the pointer will go.

Note: you can Always use Alt+S then you don't even have to move the mouse again whichever button is the default.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    Mr. Geek,

Thank you very much. I suspected that was the best that could be done but was hoping for a setting that I'd overlooked.

I've made mouse changes in Control Panel.

The keyboard shortcuts, such as Alt+S that you suggested, are very handy. I'm learning to use several of them and as they become "natural", I find them very helpful, as were your thoughts re my question.

Thanks again for your prompt response.

Emmitt

Thanks
    Osparkplugs,

An alternate method in Excel (not tested in Word) is to place the following code in the Worksheet Module and the declare statement at the top of a standard module. When you click on the "X", your cursor will move directly over the save button. You will need to play with the x/y coordinates to get it right on the button. You can also add code that will actually perform the click.

In the Worksheet module:
    Code:
    Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
      SetCursorPos 800, 500 'x and y position
    End Sub
    In a standard module at the top:
    Code:
    Public Declare Function SetCursorPos Lib "user32" (ByVal x As Long, ByVal y As Long) As Long
    I am providing you this method only because you asked to get the pointer on the button. A much better solution would be to add just the following code to the worksheet module.

On the worksheet module:
    Code:
    Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
      ThisWorkbook.Save
    End Sub
    Every time you close this workbook, it will be automatically saved with no intervention on the users part.

HTH,
    Maud

Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a bit over my head, Maude. I don't even know where to find the "Worksheet Module". If there were a simple step by step procedure for me to follow, I'd give it a shot. Otherwise, I'll have to skip it.

I do, however, thank you for your suggestion. You are very thoughtful.

Emmitt

Thanks
    Ospark,

Sorry for the assumption but here is how to apply the code. Firstly, in my above post, I mentioned twice to place the code in a worksheet module. It should have read "In the ThisWorkbook module:" Old age is my excuse. The following steps are so easy that anyone can do it. Best to learn so that if someone has some code that can do really neat stuff, you will know how to apply it.

To use the Solution #1:
    1. Open the VB Editor in Excel by pressing Alt-F11
    2. Double Click "ThisWorkbook" in the left upper VB Project window. On the right, the module window will open with a white background.
    3. Copy the code (#1 ) from my above post and paste into the module. It should look like this

VB Editor1.png

4. We need to add the second code to a standard module by clicking on Insert on the top menu > Module.
    5. A module window will open on the right with a white background. In the VB Project window under the ThisWorkbooK you will see a standard module has been added.
    6, Copy the code (#2) from my above post and paste into the module. It should look like this

VB Editor2.png

BTW, if you had ever recorded a macro, here in a standard module is where you will find it has been stored.

7. Close the VB Editor by clicking the red "X". Now close Excel by clicking the red "X". A message should pop up asking you to save while the cursor should have jumped to somewhere near the save button. Make sure you save the changes you made

Re-open Excel then the VB Editor. Adjust the X and Y coordinates in the code line, SetCursorPos 800, 500 'x and y position. The 800 means 800 pixels from the left edge of the screen while the 500 means 500 pixels from the Top. So, if you need to move the cursor to the right, increase the x coordinate to 820 (smaller increments are better). If you need to move the cursor down, increase the y coordinate to 520 to make it lower. Close excel but don't forget to save when prompted. Trial and error will place the cursor on the save button every time once the coordinates are correct.

Now for Solution 2.
    1. Follow the same first 3 steps above but highlight and delete and existing code in the ThisWorkbook module then paste code #3 there instead. It should look like this

VB Editor3.png

2. If you had created a standard module and placed the code there from Solution #1, it is harmless and can just stay there

3. Close the VB Editor by clicking the red "X". Now close Excel by clicking the red "X". The workbook will be automatically saved then closed with no intervention on your part.

You should have learned how to take VBA code that someone has written and install it to the correct module that the author should have indicated in Excel. This will begin to open new doors on the capabilities of spreadsheets. The same applies to Word.

HTH,
    Maud

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 0sparkplugs View Post
    My question relates to Word & Excel (2010) both, indirectly. When I exit (X) the program the popup asks if I want to SAVE. Usually I do want to save, and I'd like to have the cursor to default to the "SAVE" position instead of staying up there in the top, right corner of my screen. I don't find any settings in Microsoft Office 2010 to make this happen.
    If you don't want to save, you could just press the 'n' key...
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Lounger
    Thanks
    Maud, what a great tutorial on the remedy to my problem! Since this is not a pressing matter right now, I copied your instructions and will implement your suggestions a bit later.

And I must apologize for being slow in responding ... Family health matters have taken a lot of my "spare" time of late but there's light at the end of the tunnel (it says here).

Enough of the whining. I really do appreciate the help. It was concise and clear.

Thanks again,
    Emmitt

Lounger
    Thanks
    And Paul, Thank you for your comment, too. I need to get better acquainted with these keyboard shortcuts. They can be very useful.

Emmitt

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    When one of these dialogues pops up, under each of the options you'll often see a character underlined. That character is the shortcut for the option.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]