Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

BELARC Advisor shows incorrect product keys?

When I run the latest version of BELARC Advisor, it shows Incorrect Product Keys for most of my software (all of which are full, legal products). In particular, Microsoft Office 2013 Professional, Project 2013 and Vision 2013 all show with the wrong Product Key. Windows 8.1 (with Service Pack 1) is indicated with the correct Product key. My Nuance Products are all shown with the wrong product keys.

Whilst this is not a problem for me as I do have the correct Product Keys as supplied with each product, I wonder where BELARC is finding the incorrect info and why it can't "see" the correct keys?

Any ideas?
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    See what the free version of Magic Jelly Bean gives for them.

EDIT - Use the Custom install option and then uncheck the bundled unwanted software boxes before proceeding.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-07-12 at 08:30.

Thanks
    Also try Produkey, and compare the results.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Hey Y'all,

Results from the different programs are interesting. I know my correct Win 8.0 Pro Upgrade Key and the Embedded Win 8 Std key that came with my PC when I purchased it.

Magic Jelly Bean Finder reports the key correctly with the exception of adding the letter Q at the beginning!

Produkey reports a number which has no match anywhere in my list of license keys!

BelArc Advisor reports the CORRECT Win 8.1 Pro key (which is the same as the 8.0 Pro key).

All three products report the correct Office 2010 Pro key.

BelArc & MJBK report the correct key for WinPatrol.

BelArc reports the correct key for Microsoft Money Sunset Edition.

Of course as always YMMV!

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    BelArc shows the correct win 7 Pro key but doesn't show the Office 2013 key at all, it just shows that Office is installed. It used to show the Office key.
    (This is on my new HP Probook Laptop).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is not good news for Microsoft Office 2013 product keys according to this TechNet article

Office 2013: can't retrieve the Product Key via Belarc Advisor
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com...um=officeitpro

“The method of using 3rd-party software to retrieve product key is not supported.
    To get help finding your product key, please contact the Microsoft Customer Service for help
    To contact the Microsoft Customer Service Center call one of the following numbers:
    North America (English): 1-800-MICROSOFT (1-800-642-7676) UK: 0844 800 2400”

Produkey is mentioned but it wasn’t successful for Office 365

I would like to add that everyone ensures they know what Microsoft Account they used to install their Microsoft Office Product as well as the email account that was used to verify Microsoft’s security code that was sent to the registered Office 2013 owner

On other issues of product keys reported or not reported by Belarc I can’t find anything on those yet

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2015-07-13)

Thanks
    Clearly there is moral to this story: Ensure you note your product keys when you purchase new software and KEEP the list in a SAFE Place!! (In cases where Microsoft send you a Security Code as part of the verification of some of their products; KEEP the CODE in a Safe Place (the Code is not a "once off" thing as some believe!!)
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by petesmst View Post
    Clearly there is moral to this story: Ensure you note your product keys when you purchase new software and KEEP the list in a SAFE Place!! (In cases where Microsoft send you a Security Code as part of the verification of some of their products; KEEP the CODE in a Safe Place (the Code is not a "once off" thing as some believe!!)
    Good advice Pete! I keep a complete list of all my license keys in a RoboForm SafeNote and print it out every now and then and put a paper copy in my safe. I also keep printed copies of downloaded software I've paid for which include the registration & key information.

Also included are all hardware serial numbers and service codes (dell). MAC addresses for devices, etc.

HTH
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2015-07-13 at 08:34.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    RG,
    I tried Produkey this morning and it shows the correct win 7 and IE keys but nothing else.
    On another note, I bought a new win 7 pro laptop and put Office Home and Student 2013 on it and it refused to register automatically so I ended up using the automated phone number which worked but I didn't save the 8 blocks of numbers they issued to register. Hopefully that won't be a problem in the future with the way MS is changing things around.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    lumpy95 I would call Microsoft back up and get those numbers
    --- If it doesn't work out well have them assign a case # so you can follow up on whatever needs to get done
    --- I wouldn't trust any program right now to come up with a correct Microsoft Office 2013 product key. Microsoft has a computer owners information, Microsoft account, security code all wrapped up tighter than Fort Knox.

BTW, when someone wants me to install a Microsoft Office 2013 product, I always have that person go to Staples, Walmart or wherever they can buy the product "envelope- whatever it's called"
    --- That way the numbers are easily visible and easy to work with
    --- That way the computer owner can visually see it also and save it in a safe place (well, for those who do anyway)

Pete very good explanation.

Thanks
    lumpy95 I would call Microsoft back up and get those numbers
    --- If it doesn't work out well have them assign a case # so you can follow up on whatever needs to get done
    --- I wouldn't trust any program right now to come up with a correct Microsoft Office 2013 product key. Microsoft has a computer owners information, Microsoft account, security code all wrapped up tighter than Fort Knox.

BTW, when someone wants me to install a Microsoft Office 2013 product, I always have that person go to Staples, Walmart or wherever they can buy the product "envelope- whatever it's called"
    --- That way the numbers are easily visible and easy to work with
    --- That way the computer owner can visually see it also and save it in a safe place (well, for those who do anyway)
    I got Office with the key card in it from Walmart and I have that. I was just referring to the online install. It installed fine BUT refused to activate so I had to call the robo-number for MS to get it activated.
    There are a string of 8 groupings of numbers that you have to say to the robot and then it tells you what new numbers to put in the 8 boxes on the activation screen and they have to be perfect. Then it activates your office installation.
    Those activation numbers are the ones I didn't save.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-07-13)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for clarifying. It's always good to learn something new.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    petesmst, did you look at the bottom of the last page of your Belarc Advisor report? On mine, it indicates that the product key shown may be the manufacturer's factory installed product key rather than my key. They refer you to one of their pages that refers you to the MS page given above.

I am very sure that is the situation with my Toshiba laptop, as the product key for Windows 7 Pro is exactly the same as the product key for Internet Explorer. The agreement with MS says that there should be a sticker on the computer with the key, but it was missing. So I called Toshiba to ask for it, since it is required. I was told by them that they would not give me the key, and anyway, MS no longer requires the key. [A real misrepresentation there.] So I will be making that call myself. I'm not sure how it will work, since Toshiba activated it, and I don't have any of that information. If the call is automated, I guess I won't get the chance to out Toshiba.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JayCee2 you bring up some good points; but there is a difference between the OS and other software product keys

I help my family & friends as well as quite a few volunteers at the non-profit organization I volunteer at and I'd like to note the following in my experience
    --- Belarc has always reported the correct product key for the installed OS as long as it has been activated.
    --- I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think it does report the product key for an OS that hasn't been activated. So I'll have to double check that if I run into this situation.

Now comes the product key for Microsoft Office 2013 products; personally I believe Microsoft is the culprit, I do not know about Apple yet.
    --- Of the computers I've checked out with a Microsoft Office 2013 product in which Belarc doesn't report the product key. I've used Magic Jelly bean only a couple of times but I don't recall them reporting the product key either so I've stopped using them altogether
    --- My 2 cents in this matter: whenever anyone buys any software always get the product key and keep it in a safe place even if he/she doesn't understand how computers work.
    --- FYI I'm not an expert by any means; but thanks to the invaluable information available here on WS, I know enough to keep my computer safe & secure; but then also keep product keys in a safe place similar to how I have my mortgage, insurance policies etc.
    --- Come to think of it imagine if I needed to call my insurance company for an incident in my house but I haven't kept my paperwork and don't know my account number and they won't help me.
    --- We know that doesn't happen in such a case but generally speaking that's the way it is in the computer world: OS company as well as the manufacturer

On other products which have been noted for either not reported or incorrect product keys is still a mystery to me.

Thanks
    @JayCee2: My system is self-assembled, so there is no OEM software installed. All my software has been legally purchased and I have kept the relevant serial numbers/product/activation keys in a safe place. I ran Belarc "just for interest" and came across the anomalies reported in my original post above. I decided it might serve as a warning to those who don't keep copies of their product keys in a safe place.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to petesmst For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-07-22)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast