New Lounger
    Thanks

DOB/age calculation in Word 2010

Hello there,

I have been been trying to work with form fields in Word 2010 tables to calculate a person's age in a box/cell titled "Age" using the date of birth that I enter into another box/cell called "DOB". I've been trying to follow your posts across the web, and even read your tutorial, but I still cannot seem to get the field code I put into the "Age" box to recognize the date I entered into the "DOB" box and do the math to produce the age in years. This is despite my bookmarking the date in the "DOB" box as "BirthDate".

I even used the exact field code from your discussion here: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...lation-in-word

When I update the field in the "Age" box with the above code I get a blank output (no content visible in the box/cell). I simply don't understand what I am doing wrong.

Can you please help me by telling me what I might be doing wrong? Maybe I'm just not configuring the "DOB" box properly? Might you have a template that does this function to share?

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Without actually seeing the problem document, it can be difficult for anyone to diagnose the issue. Can you attach a document to a post with some representative data (delete anything sensitive)? You do this via the paperclip symbol on the 'Go Advanced' tab at the bottom of this screen.

PS: Please don't address threads to individual members.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have attached the requested file using dummy information (nothing sensitive). It's a simple table with three boxes; the third "Age" box contains the field code you posted on the MSDN forum. I was just thinking, I noted your instructions say that the "BirthDate" bookmark should be attached to a form field containing the DOB. But I could not actually create a form field and figure out how to fill it with a DOB in that second box. So maybe there's the problem.

That second box that contains the DOB is currently just filled in with text. That was the only way I could bookmark the DOB with "BirthDate". Ideally, I'd like it to be like the first box (name), which is to say to be able to fill in the DOB as a plain text content control (w/ date picker format/properties). But doing that made it impossible for me to highlight it and bookmark it. And I don't get how to enter a DOB in that box if I replaced the plain text content control with a form field. Inserting a form field creates a gray-shaded portion of the box that I cannot enter any text into.

As you can see, I'm stil pretty new to these developer tools and especially form fields and field codes. And while I'm certainly no programmer, I have enough courage to think I can get this to work!

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks again!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    When I examine your document, there is no 'BirthDate' bookmark. Furthermore, you've not paid sufficient attention to the Note in the link:
    The field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above example are created via Ctrl-F9 - you can't simply type them or copy & paste them from this message.
    Other than the outer pair of field braces for your formula field, all the braces in your implementation are ordinary ones. Furthermore, had you downloaded a copy of my Microsoft Word Date Calculation Tutorial from either of the links in the MSDN thread, you would have been able to find there a fully-working copy of the field - it's based on the item titled 'Interactively Calculate A Person’s Age' in the tutorial (you'll find it as a 'Sticky' thread at the top of this forum).
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, I see about the brace pairs...you were referring to all of them across the entire code, not just the opening and closing ones. I was also able to substantively address all the other unanswered issues as well I first wrote about, so I'm satisfied. I appreciate you looking at the code and your suggestion, but I thought your language in the last reply a little harsh on someone who did not even know what field codes were before last Saturday. Even your tutorial, helpful as it is, is no easy ground for a novice (and I did read it, FWIW).

Having said that, I reiterate my gratitude.