Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned Member
    Thanks

Thumbs up Making (Good) Use of Multiple Desktops(?)

Not sure whether a query or some shared insight here. Are you tapping the value of MDs or is it a matter of realising the value the Feature can be?

The ability to have Multiple Desktops can be a real asset and serve you well & be very kewl & helpful... helpful in the sense of organization & structure... can keep things neat & tidy OR not cluttered, not homogenised, not w/ a plethora of varied, unrelated stuff all clustered in one same place.

Can have a browser window in every one. Can have various APPs & or applications in each one. Can scan & select everything across all Desktops via Alt+Tab. The Taskbar is accessible in every one. And the Taskbar can display what is going on w/ all Desktops or each respective Desktop individually.

Anyway, some may not realise how the concept can be make things pleasant, slick & sensible. Related things can be grouped in one Desktop not, w/ anything that, really, does belong (there). 1 maybe a sort of basic 'hub'... Home Page, E-mail, Skype, Calendar, Weather... another all fun, entertainment, recreation... another for hobby interests... one for business concerns... it is only limited by one's imagination. And one can create an limitless number.

I have used the Feature, peculiar to Windows 10 ever since last September and it sure beats having everything ALL in one same Desktop, all on the same screen. It affords the "A place for everything & everything in its place" approach. Bit like having different rooms in a house for different things.

Bit of a trick to have the browser window in more than one Desktop but, once one knows how it's quick & easy.

If you have not delved into this kewl Feature much, yet, it is worth it. If you'd like a wee bit of instruction or guidance, don't hesitate to ask. I'd be very glad to assist.

Thanks
    I fail to understand how multiple desktops help in organization. I have everything I frequently use pinned to my taskbar. I try to keep my Desktop display clear of shortcuts so I can view the slideshow background I have set up. I can find anything else I want to use simply by clicking on the start icon and type its name. I fail to see how multiple desktops would be of any use and just adds one more thing to control.

Not "Kewl" for me

Jerry

Banned Member
    Thanks
    It's ok, Jerry if you don't think it's a kewl Feature; one is not obliged. And it's ok to fail to understand... one has no obligation to understand anything in particular. But, it, still, may be useful, handy, helpful & kewl to others. And they, too, likely Pin things. Cerrtainly, agree about not have Desktop icons covering up pretty things. I have none showing for the same reason, nice clean tidy look... I, still, access anything & everything via the Desktop Toolbar.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe walk through the process of creating two or three desktops? I know it would help me to get a better handle on this feature.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarder View Post
    Maybe walk through the process of creating two or three desktops? I know it would help me to get a better handle on this feature.
    This brief CNET article was updated three days ago, and seems to contain most of the necessary info in four steps:

How to use multiple desktops in Windows 10

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

BHarder (2015-07-17)

Thanks
    I still fail to see any advantage with setting up multiple desktops. Just seems to add an extra layer of complication.

Jerry

Banned Member
    Thanks
    As stated, one is free to see it however they want. Personally, I very much like how I can use the Feature & make it work in what I feel are helpful ways for me.

I like being able to not have a lot of very unrelated things that are all going simultaneously all clustered into one same Desktop. The "complication" as you care to call it, is, to me, worth having things structured. Plus, once it's configured, as I use it, it's done; same base layout daily.
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-07-16 at 15:35.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarder View Post
    Be glad to...

Clik the Task View icon on Taskbar. Then the New Desktop + @ the lower right of the screen. Will now see the 2nd Desktop... can keep adding an unlimited number of Desktops. Using Task View go to the one wanted. Can have different things in each one. Can have a browser window in each. Can set Task Bar to highlight everything or just what's active in each. Alt+Tab will show everything active across all Desktops. Can, also, move from one to the other using Ctrl_Win & <--- or--->

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

BHarder (2015-07-17)

Thanks
    One possible scenario. I have two Yahoo accounts. If I login to one in say FF, I can't look at the other unless I logout of the first. Would I be able to have a desktop with FF in logged in to one and a desktop with FF logged into the other? There may be other similar scenarios.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    You can have the same browser open in more than 1 Desktop & different sites. But, the sign-in applies to all, in common. If you change it in one, it will change it in/for all of them. However, one can have one browser in one Desktop and different one in another and be able to sign-in to each one of them differently.

Thanks
    Thanks Drew. I was aware that you can sign in with different browsers but it's a bit disappointing that you can't do it with the same browser on different desktops.

Like Jerry I can't see the point of different desktops, but then I haven't been able to test Win 10 because of the problems I stated in other threads.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Well, be that as it may... I use them all the time, so obviously I like what the Feature can do. I, actually use 2 sign-ins, 1 in Edge & another in IE. Between that & Multi Ds there's, for me, lots of convenience and serviceability. Maybe, others will come to find the same for them, maybe not. But, it's there, available if anyone might see value it's que sera sera.

Indeed, I have spoken w/ a number of people who do put it to good use & think well of the Feature. But, certainly, always subjective.
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-07-17 at 05:48.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    One possible scenario. I have two Yahoo accounts. If I login to one in say FF, I can't look at the other unless I logout of the first. Would I be able to have a desktop with FF in logged in to one and a desktop with FF logged into the other? There may be other similar scenarios.
    In that situation I would use a client like Windows Live mail or Outlook and set up both accounts with it. I currently have 4 Email accounts set up in my Windows Live mail. I also suspect you could have different signins in two different FF tabs.

Jerry

Thanks
    For me it was a theoretical question only. I have all four of my main email accounts set up on Thunderbird, and also Outlook 2013 (though I normally use TB). I also have a couple of ISP supplied email accounts but I rarely use these.

Greedy, ain't I

Banned Member
    Thanks
    In regard to Jerry's thought...

Maybe , I didn't word it well... I, also, have multiple (E-mail) Accounts. However, if have a browser in one Desktop signed-in using 1. Then, open the (same) Browser in another Desktop signing-in w/ another account, it will change the 1st browser window that was, already, in the first Desktop. Only work-around is 2 different browsers, then, can have independence.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast