Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

How to remove windows 10 icons after asking to register

I advised my friend to delete the KB3035583 file and she says they keep coming back and in addition I told her not to open any file and not to give permission to install any program I didn't register to get win 10 and I don't know what to tell her to do... any suggestions ??

there are two more icons that I never heard of and I do
    not know what to do about it. HELP.

tHE ICON SAYS Microsoft 2015 Key Gener downloader and Office Toolkit 252 download. I tried to go into
    the program uninstaller but those two were not list anywhere. Where did they come from and how do
    get rid of them. HELP.

Thanks
    The answer is fairly simple.....
    Change the way you (or she) get the MS Updates.
    If anyone just blindly lets MS (or anyone else) update their PC, without any oversight at all, then they deserve exactly what they get. Eh?

I've never seen any such thing as a "MS 2015 Key Gener downloader" so I don't know what you're talking about. ???
    And since I flatly refuse to use MS Office, the Office Toolkit would be worthless at best.

If you can reach that friend of yours, and if not, you could use a remote control program, (like, Team Viewer) you could surely do some cleanup on her PC.
    And change the way MS updates are received.
    You never did state your location so that makes it harder to answer your questions. Why don't you do that?

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    The answer is fairly simple.....
    Change the way you (or she) get the MS Updates.
    The "two more icons" are not from Microsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    If anyone just blindly lets MS (or anyone else) update their PC, without any oversight at all, then they deserve exactly what they get. Eh?
    Security?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think it's wrong to denigrate those who just use their computers as-is and when something pops up out the blue, they are naturally going to be concerned and ask for help.

I don't know where they've come from either, but two programs I would run are AdwCleaner and Junkware Removal Tool.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

For AdwCleaner, click on Scan and that may list some programs in the lower pane, which if recognised and want to retain - just deselect them.

When the scan has completed, click on Report and that will show you what else it has found and will delete when you close the report and click on Cleaning.

It doesn't matter if it lists keys that you don't understand - it is completely trustworthy.

I run JRT after ADW and you can find the download link for JRT lower down the ADW page.

It runs until completion and gives its report at the end.

If those icons are the result of adware, then those two programs should get rid of them, but using your friend's restore points to before they appeared could be the better option.

Had you asked your friend if they'd downloaded anything recently - when trying the restore points, check the box for Scan for affected programs and that may provide the clue as to where they came from.

The Win 10 icon requires a different approach.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am in So CA, she is in the Palm Springs area.. I told her to remove the KB3035583 file and she did, as I did, but Windows Update keeps asking to install it. Naturally I don't install it. She said the other two : THE ICON SAYS Microsoft 2015 Key Gener downloader and Office Toolkit 252 download, just popped up on her screen. I checked and saw that they were legitimate files at the Microsoft site but told her never install anything on her computer and in fact change her Windows Update settings to not install anything automatically but to be notified and then check what they are for. She is completely computer illiterate as you might have guessed from her question to me. So, I am wondering if the two files that popped up on her screen WERE malware. I would have told her to run CCleaner, but I know she doesn't have it and probably wouldn't know how to use it if she did have it. I told her don't download anything and don't install anything and if she gets in trouble with the computer to take the computer to the Geek Squad. It's impossible to do anything else like that by long distance.

However, thank you for your courteous reply.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I would bet money that she doesn't know what a restore point is...sigh
    I notice that you don't mention Malwarebytes. A recent Windows Secrets column mentioned AdwCleaner and Junkware Removal Tool. I am confused regarding their recent column about virus checking programs. The Geek Squad removed a virus that my son d/l and removed Norton and installed Microsoft Security Essentials and the trial version of Malwarebytes. When the trial Malwarebytes ran out I installed the free version from their site but it lost the icon. I don't trust Norton anymore since it didn't stop that virus file from installing or cleaning it out. Any suggestions ?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chelliep15 View Post
    She said the other two : THE ICON SAYS Microsoft 2015 Key Gener downloader and Office Toolkit 252 download, just popped up on her screen. I checked and saw that they were legitimate files at the Microsoft site
    Those two are NOT legitimate Microsoft files, programs or icons.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Why not point her to this thread where I've explained how to use ADW - and JRT runs itself.

I can describe how to check the restore points, but I'm sure you can walk her through that.

At a push you could remote connect using Teamviewer https://www.teamviewer.com/en/help/firststeps.aspx

With pics. http://www.wikihow.com/Use-TeamViewer

BTW - I'd sooner trust Norton than MSE and while no AV program is 100% at detection/prevention, my Norton 360 has kept me safe for a number of years now.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-07-18 at 17:14.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Why not point her to this thread where I've explained how to use ADW - and JRT runs itself.

I can describe how to check the restore points, but I'm sure you can walk her through that.

At a push you could remote connect using Teamviewer https://www.teamviewer.com/en/help/firststeps.aspx

BTW - I'd sooner trust Norton than MSE and while no AV program is 100% at detection/prevention, my Norton 360 has kept me safe for a number of years now.
    I trusted Norton for years until the last time when my son d/l a zip file and opened it and got 360 viruses..I gave her the URL for Windows Secrets but she's the kind of person who expects everybody else to fix things for her and not to interested in computers.. I don't know why the Geek Squad would take Norton off and put MSE on..they said they put it on for everybody and all have it on their computers.

New Lounger
    Thanks

The Geek Squad removed a virus that my son d/l and removed Norton and installed Microsoft Security Essentials and the trial version of Malwarebytes. When the trial Malwarebytes ran out I installed the free version from their site but it lost the icon. I don't trust Norton anymore since it didn't stop that virus file from installing or cleaning it out. Any suggestions ?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The zip file probably came up as safe when Norton checked and I assume Windows Safe Screen filter would have passed it also.

It's only when it was opened that it became Pandora's Box which was too late for Norton or any other AV to do anything about it.

As for MSE, even MS advise that you use something else and especially if you are going where even angels fear to tread.

All I would advise using MSE for would be to install it for trouble shooting, should the existing AV program be suspect.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

chelliep15 (2015-07-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The zip file probably came up as safe when Norton checked and I assume Windows Safe Screen filter would have passed it also.

It's only when it was opened that it became Pandora's Box which was too late for Norton or any other AV to do anything about it.

As for MSE, even MS advise that you use something else and especially if you are going where even angels fear to tread.

All I would advise using MSE for would be to install it for trouble shooting, should the existing AV program be suspect.
    I am so confused now, for instance Geek Squad disabled Windows Defender..and is there a free AV program that's better then some of the paid programs ? I look at the AV program ratings every year and there isn't one of them that gets a top rating..Kapernsky always gets good ratings then there is another one that gets great ratings Bit Defender ??so how do you know which one to use ?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Bit Defender usually gets good ratings but I know someone on another forum who had to uninstall the paid for version because it reduced the computer to a crawl.

There is a free version, but I don't know what effect that would have on a computer and no two computers seem to be the same.

You could give it a try after uninstalling MSE.

After you have uninstalled MSE from Programs and Features, use the Fix it button lower down in this article to ensure no residue is left. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2483120

http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/solutions/free.html

A report on how Bit Defender performs would be nice.

There's also a free version of Comodo https://www.comodo.com/home/internet.../antivirus.php
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-07-19 at 18:17.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Although not in exact order let’s split this up into appropriate sections
    --- Maybe I missed it, but what Operating System is she using?
    --- Before you start, create a System Restore point
    --- I always create a System Restore point before doing anything new

Personally I would get rid of Microsoft 2015 Key Gener downloader and Office Toolkit 252 download.
    --- Run AdwCleaner & JRT has been recommended

KB3035583 has been deleted but keeps coming back
    --- I hope you mean uninstalling it
    --- Once that is done, it usually does come back pretty quickly on the same day but even if it takes a day or two, watch for it
    --- Once it returns, this time Hide the update since it’s already been uninstalled
    --- Check other updates that pertain to anything Windows 10 in both the Important and Optional sections
    --- The first time around, uninstall them.
    --- Hide them when they return
    --- Well, not knowing how the computer is reacting to the way it’s being used it doesn’t hurt to check whether or not it has been installed again if you wish
    NOTE: If any of the updates that pertain to anything Windows 10 are not installed, then hide them
    Refer to Susan Bradley’s excellent article: What you should know about the Win10 launch
    http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...-win10-launch/
    It includes updates that pertain to anything Windows 10 and has which ones apply to which Operating System
    It has served me very well

On Malwarebytes, I recommend Malwarebytes Pro
    On an anti-virus program that can be subjective
    --- If you don’t like Norton or any other anti-virus program, just don’t consider them
    --- There have already been some good suggestions
    --- Generally when I help someone out but they don’t have any idea of what’s best for them, I’ll recommend their ISP provided security suite for the time being
    NOTE: Freebies sound nice but it takes someone who will take the time to manage & develop an understanding them on their own

On TeamViewer, that’s an excellent idea if you have the time to do that

Last but not least
    “I told her not to open any file and not to give permission to install any program”
    --- Unfortunately a persons computer habits are what they are and since she is computer illiterate, problems will continue to occur
    --- I don’t know if you can do this, but I have set aside about 15 minutes or so after fixing someone’s computer problem to explain and to let them do something on their computer pertaining to the issue at hand.
    --- There are times they need more training on something else and I’ll accommodate what they need to know
    --- I don’t try doing so all at once because it can become overwhelming
    --- I know because I remember my roots from when I was more than computer illiterate

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

chelliep15 (2015-07-20)

New Lounger
    Thanks

antivirus program change

Bit Defender usually gets good ratings but I know someone on another forum who had to uninstall the paid for version because it reduced the computer to a crawl.

There is a free version, but I don't know what effect that would have on a computer and no two computers seem to be the same.

You could give it a try after uninstalling MSE.

After you have uninstalled MSE from Programs and Features, use the Fix it button lower down in this article to ensure no residue is left. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2483120

http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/solutions/free.html

A report on how Bit Defender performs would be nice.

There's also a free version of Comodo https://www.comodo.com/home/internet.../antivirus.php
    Unfortunately I read PComputer reviews and installed Panda Free as it got the top rating but didn't do anything but uninstall MSE and rebooted. I probably will run CCleaner as I do on a regular basis. There isn't much else in the way of reviews of Panda but it has to be better than MSE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast