Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Weird spell-check problem Outlook 2010/2013

    Hi. About 5 weeks ago my Outlook 2010 (part of a full install of Office Pro 2010 done 2 years ago) began showing in-line spelling errors. These errors showed up in correctly-spelled words in the message body. After many frustrating attempts to solve the issue, I gave up and finally installed the Office 365 suite, hoping this would fix the problem. It didn't. I've copied some nonsense text here as follows. The parts of words that are being flagged by the red squiggly underlines I've put in bold face. As you can see from the last line, for example, "Susie" and "Susie" are both mis-identified as misspelled AND they are mis-identified differently. The same with 2 instances of the correctly-spelled "forgiven/Forgiven" in lines 2 and 3:

    Beware the stormer.

    Reformed, forgiven, aided by rapscallions and ego boosting forgiven peoples of all estimations and assorted sizes.

    Forgiven, not forgotten, able to enhance, able to demonstrate, able to forgive

    Admonishments aside, towards forgiven and, forgotten,

    Ebullience, aloud, afar, indelible, Susie, Eleanor, Diana, Susie, Susie, Susie, Martha, all forgotten

    Additionally, when spell-check runs after pressing Send, it flags the red-squiggly portion of words as misspellings, and highlights "forgiven/Forgiven" and so on and asks the usual ignore/correct/add to dictionary query buttons.

    I have 2 computers, both originally running Outlook 2010 as part of the Pro suite, and now both running Office 365. On one computer, there are NO problems with Outlook; on the other the problem persists. Both running Windows 8.1, all latest updates installed. Both Intel i-5 cpus.

    This is driving me crazy! Any help or fixes deeply appreciated. Many thanks!

  2. #2
    5 Star Lounger petesmst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    790
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 43 Times in 33 Posts
    Try running "change" (via programmes and Features in the Windows Control Panel) for your Outlook installation to attempt to repair it. (Or "change" for your Office Suite if Outlook is part of it. This might fix things.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

  3. #3
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    "Change" Option....

    Quote Originally Posted by petesmst View Post
    Try running "change" (via programmes and Features in the Windows Control Panel) for your Outlook installation to attempt to repair it. (Or "change" for your Office Suite if Outlook is part of it. This might fix things.
    Thanks for your response!

    Sorry I didn't mention it in my original post, but I had already tried that to no avail. Still struggling with the annoyance of this problem.... Arrgghhh

  4. #4
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Is it possible switching to another dictionary (US to UK) and then back again would correct it?

  5. #5
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alexnash View Post
    Is it possible switching to another dictionary (US to UK) and then back again would correct it?
    Thanks for the suggestion, but it had no effect. I was also having keyboard problems (auto-switching to US Keyboard, despite having deleted that keyboard etc.), which may or may not have been related. My solution, in the end, was to 1) uninstall Office 365 using a Fixit from MS, 2) create a new USER account on the machine, 3) Re-install Office 365 and 4) delete my "old" USER account/profile.

    Voila! No more problems. All working a treat now. All's been working well for 5 days now, no funny part word red squigglies, no unexpected random keyboard switching so far, and all's working a treat. Thanks to all who replied.

  6. #6
    5 Star Lounger petesmst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    790
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 43 Times in 33 Posts
    @Perplexed!: Thanks for posting the solution (glad you got it sorted out!)
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •