Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

VB6 Newbie seeks Forum

Is there a suitable forum for asking REALLY dumb questions about compiling and linking VB6 code?

As some of you know, I can program in VB, but today I was given a copy of VB6, megabytes of source code, DLLs, EXEs etc and told to recompile & link the lot.

My immediate goal is to rebuild the five production EXEs that work just like the ones on the client site. Then I can work backwards and reproduce the DLLs, and start editing the code.

If Woody's Lounge is not a good place for those idiot questions that we all ask the first time we see the ocean, perhaps someone who has been this path can recommend a good on-line forum.

I'm not stupid, as some of you know (ulp!), but from time to time I need a helping hand.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: VB6 Newbie seeks Forum

Ask away in the VB forum. That's what it is there for.

If your question is best asked elsewhere, I'm sure somebody who frequents that board will give you the correct path from there.
    Christopher Baldrey

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Agreed. There's just not that many questions on the VB/VBA board about VB.

VB is mostly quite helpful.

When you load a project which has been created elsewhere, and there are missing dlls or ocxs, by looking at the Project References of Project components, it will tell you any that are missing, and where VB is trying to find them.

Missing loaded components give an error when the project is loaded- and a log file is created telling where the error is located.

If you have access to the original machine, and you have a "package and deployment wizard" (not sure which versions of VB it comes with), you can create a package which will include any necessary dlls and ocxs. Just run the setup.exe on the target computer and you have everything you need there to run the application (though you might have issues with some components which only have licenses to distribute the run-time dlls).
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Get Gary Cornell's Visual Basic 6 from the Ground Up and the MSFT PRess Visual Basic Programmer's Guide.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> Ask away in the VB forum.

Thanks, Chris. I'll start by performing an exhaustive and exhausting search.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> by looking at the Project References of Project components

Thanks. Here are some buzzwords that I can start with. Sheesh, here I am wading through a mass of notes that may or may not be current. Story of my life. I *know* it's going to take me up to a week of bashing my head against a brick wall, and then there will be an ha-hah! breakthrough. I'm even considering hiring a really local whizz-kid to hold my hand.....

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> Gary Cornell's Visual Basic 6 from the Ground Up

Hmmm. reviews <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0078825083/qid=1009552019/ref=sr_11_0_1/104-1620696-1795153>here</A> sare poor. I'll look for it in the local public library first. I think that a book is going to take me step by step through the generic process of doing anything I want to do FROM SCRATCH, but is going to be a tad unhelpful when it comes to dealing with the stable floor I have at the moment.

That said, it's also very difficult for on-line help like the forum to assist in wading through a pile of stuff that is on my machine, not yours.

I indicated to Geoff that i might try and use a local programmer for a day or two to get me over the hump. I suspect that it's the sort of thing that an experienced user would twig on to straight away.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I have little faith in reviews at Amazon. And I do not consider those poor reviews.

One of the big attractions is that he book can be used to learn from and as a reference.

Another, is that you can read the book without having to look up code listings very often.

Also, the author writes well.

Comments that state that the pages fall out are nonsense. I've had the book for several years and no pages are falling out.

Ditto for comments based on size. The size makes it useful as a reference. You don't need to read the whole thing.

The only other VB 6 book I'd consider now is the one by David Schneider, I think it was mentioned by Charlotte. I've not seen the book, so I cannot comment.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

This thread should be moved to the VB forum

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The PDW comes with the Professional version and with Visual Studio.
    Charlotte

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You're right.

Moved and seconded.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>you can read the book without having to look up code listings very often.

Well, it's on order from the local library. I'll let you know how I feel when I see it.

That I even ordered it for a look-see is testament to your recommendation!