Star Lounger
    Thanks

User account issue

Wondering if this remains the same with Win 10?

Have been using a Win 8.1 laptop since last November. Didn't like being forced to log in with my Microsoft account and changed that then to a local account.

Last night I decided I wanted to add an app from the store and, of course, I was forced back into the Microsoft account with a net result that the local account I had created has disappeared, changed my desktop wallpaper and now requires the lengthy MS password to log on to the computer. The password thing is an issue since I am a long time Roboform user with complex passwords and you can't use RF to log on to the computer.

I am simply astonished that it apparently deletes your local account although I have recreated it.

Please tell me that they have changed this with Win 10.

Thanks
    You don't need to log in to your PC with a Microsoft account to buy a "Metro" app. You do have obtain and supply a Microsoft account when purchasing or running an app.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you saying it isn't required any longer on Win 10 or that I didn't have to with Win 8? If the latter, I saw no alternative during each step in the process.

Thanks
    Its not required in either Windows 8.1 or 10. When you purchase an app from the store, you wind up on a page the says "Switch to a Microsoft Account" in big bold letters. But at the bottom of the page, there is a link that says something like "Sign in with a Microsoft account with each use - not recommended". Clicking on this will allow you to supply a Microsoft Account to purchase the app. You may have to supply the account the first time you use the app, but it shouldn't be necessary afterwards.

Jerry

Thanks
    Are you aware you can replace the password on your PC with a PIN or photo. Go to settings (mouse to bottom RH corner to get the charms bar out). Click on 'Change PC settings'. Click on accounts, then on the left side, click on 'sign-in options'. Take your pick.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Something to consider but nothing definite: After purchasing two identical HP Envy laptops with Windows 8 a few years back and setting up local accounts on both during "installation," all worked fine including all the Metro apps. Then with the Win 8.1 updates, some Metro apps (I.E. Kindle, Magic Puzzles) opened and crashed immediately. During the weeks that followed with Microsoft's Answer Desk remotely logging in, indicated that the "design" was for Microsoft Accounts, not Local. So, we did the dance and created a Microsoft Account and all the apps worked fine again - for about a week - then (still to this day) they started to open and crash again. I refused to rebuild. Not sure what this means, but thought I'd share the Answer Desk comment.

Thanks
    I have always used MS account since its availability, and I love it. It is hassle-free, and saves me a lot of time. If you do not want to type in your password each time just go to the run dialog, and type in netplwiz, and uncheck users must enter a user name and password to log on.