2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Will WIN 10 really wipe out WIN 7?

The current Windows Secrets newsletter headline indicates that WIN 10 upgrade will wipe out WIN 7 automatically. I can't read the article because I get only the free content. What should I do to prevent this from happening? I do not want WIN 10.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you don't want it, you don't have to do anything; it won't happen without your consent.

The question and answer in the newsletter was about someone who did want it, but wanted to preserve their current Windows 7 setup too.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    From my understanding, Win 10 will give you the option to roll back to your previous OS and to do that, I assume it would have to create a Windows.old folder - what do you reckon, Bruce ?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I believe so. That's what's happened with each upgrade to a new Insider Preview build.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Also confirmed by Woody yesterday:

If you want to stick with Win 7 (or Win 8.1 or Vista), don’t do anything. Microsoft will dangle lots of carrots. They may swing some dire sticks. They’ll certainly spend hundreds of millions of dollars trying to convince you to switch to Windows 10. But you don’t have to do it. You shouldn’t, at least in the near term. And the best way to keep from getting Win10 is to NOT click on anything that says “Install Windows 10.”

Unless you explicitly give your permission, Microsoft will not change the OS on your machine.

AskWoody.com: How to avoid Windows 10

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the very clear info! The Lounge is just the best ever for all-things-Microsoft.