Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Backup, Restore - WIn 7 to Win 10 (Pro) - being ready, keeping it smooth

My main PC (file server and more) runs Win 7 Pro. I do Windows Backup to it, some full images, other backups as well. I'd wanted to upgrade at least the backup hardware and bought a WD external drive. Turns out the software does file backup only, and when I ran the Acronis WD edition backup software to do a system backup the system froze. Very odd.

Still, I'm not sure I need the WD or Acronis software. It is a Pro system, and as I understand things, Backup should be fully available under Win 10. So I have a few issues that should be simple;

1. Make sure I start doing the Windows backups with my new WD external drive.
    2. Build a system restore disc so I can actually do a Restore if needed.
    3. When ready to go to 10 be sure I get one last full System backup.
    4. Once going in 10, make sure Backup is still ongoing.

Does anyone have any specific suggestions to keep this as smooth as possible? I'm not just looking for myself; I think we can all use a good checklist here.

Also, for my Windows Home systems, I've been using Seagate Replicas for backup; not sure what to do about their Win 10 upgrades, backups, etc.

Thanks!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Is your main PC part of your home system or are you talking about 2 separate systems?
    What recovery arrangements do you currently have in place and have you tested them?
    What is Acronis WD and where did you run it?

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a 'tower' PC in a 'computer room' that can do video and other heavy work but is also my main file server. I have some laptops scattered around the house and they often store files on the tower.

I have Windows Backup on the tower. I can access the backups, have not done a full restore. I have Replica on the laptops; have to recreate the restore dvd's, etc. Never done a restore. Replica is nice when it works. Have no idea if it will handle Win 10.

Acronis Tru Image WD version. That is on the tower on the new backup drive. It hung the tower on my first attempt to run it.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I am not a fan of different backup software / mechanisms so I try to stick to one type of backup software. Consistency is king when it all goes pear shaped.

I would have something like this given your set up.
    1. A big disk in the tower for regular backup from the other PCs and from the tower.
    2. A big external disk which is a replica of the tower backup disk. Update this regularly then store it away from the tower - I use a small fireproof safe.
    This gives you immediate access to backups for whichever system needs it and has an "offsite" copy in case the disk in the tower / tower goes pear shaped.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I do need to come up with an off site or otherwise safe extra backup in addition to the external backup drives. Good point. there.

Let me try to fill out the context a bit. Assuming that I stick to Windows Backup, that should work well for my transition on the tower to Win 10. Create a 'restore' disc, have a full image backup on the external plus ensure all data is backed up. Then (when the time seems appropriate), do the Win 10 upgrade on the tower. And if it goes south I SHOULD not have any problem restoring.

Of course, I've ignored (in these comments) things like driver updates. Hopefully the Win 10 installation will take care of the immediate needs, but I clearly have to check the various vendors (nvidia, ASUS, Corsair, etc.). On the tower it's easy since I built it. When I do the laptops it won't be so easy since HP will likely provide little if any viable Win 10 upgrade support on their non-brand new Win 7 laptops, and some have hybrid Intel/AMD video that HP refuses to get updates for (since before the laptop shipped).

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Sorry, don't know your name but, can answer you quite simply.

Yes, the OS will do it all natively. No 3rd party backup software/program is needed.

OK, Windows 10 and your External Drive for File backup AND System Image... The External is connected to via USB. In 10 > File History. There are 2 paths:

Control panel > System & Security > File History

OR

Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options > See Advanced Settings

Anyway, in the File History window you will see the WD. Hit the Turn ON button to point files to be backup @ the External. AND... @ the bottom left corner of that same window is System Image Backup... click on that to create a Sys Image, also, on the External.

There you go

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I suggest you try the upgrade procedure on the least used laptop so you understand how it works and any issues you may have with drivers.
    It is probably also worth waiting several months (6) for any initial W10 problems to be sorted and for drivers updates to catch up.

cheers, Paul

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Paul,

I'm not saying to dispute anything. But, we really should give an impression of Win10 to people in such absolute terms as if it be gospel. To paint such a morbid & foreboding view to people. We have, already, spent several months working on Windows 10. People can enjoy all the benefits, great Features, superb performance and very pleasant & productive ease of use. It offers a lot that's good and does a lot really well.

The native backup & Sys Image I described are super simplistic, not challenging, @ all, not much to figure out or understand, not complicated. And there is no drivers issue in the picture.

There does not seem too be much, hardware or software that doesn't like 10. Its compatibility factor, apparently, is deep & wide. It's just a good & smart Platform that has had months of work & the input of millions bringing it to July 29th and the GA.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    We cannot give any information about W10 in absolute terms, all we can do is give our impression. Mine is wait for a while, you've got at least a year to make up your mind.

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Drew.
    I will + your opinion on W-10. I have been on it since onset and it runs very nicely with all my quirks. I use old apps and they are all seen. Giving a negative opinion on it is showing a lack of certainty in using a fine OS. Sure I have had teething problems, I am no expert, but every time a new version was offered, I grabbed it and enjoyed it.

I did get RTM installed on one Toshiba and today I will leave the 10130 desktop ON to grab RTM.

Note : Still no offer on the desktop. Says it is uptodate and waits.

All best wishes. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2015-07-16 at 21:15.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been running Win 10 in Virtual Box since it was available and it seems smooth. More importantly, the update process also seems a lot smoother now then it was early on. I don't have any pressure to go early to Win 10, at least. But unfortunately I have no older, less used machine that will run it to go to first - one is just one Intel gen off to miss the needed instruction set, and another has it but the HP bios is so primitive that it does not support it. That leaves the tower and 3 laptops that are all used heavily.

It's good that Win Backup (on Pro, which the tower has) is unchanged. Still leaves me trying to figure out how to properly backup the 3 laptops in a way I KNOW can be restored if the Win 10 upgrade fails. Plus getting driver updates for the 3 - 2 HP and 1 VAIO.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    We cannot give any information about W10 in absolute terms, all we can do is give our impression. Mine is wait for a while, you've got at least a year to make up your mind.

cheers, Paul
    It's the 'make up one's mind' part... sooner or later, eventually, everything will be Windows 10... so logically, if eligible, take the darn thing FOR FREE if & when (while) one can. It's good & capable enough to be excited to do so, anyway.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pbug56 View Post
    It's good that Win Backup (on Pro, which the tower has) is unchanged. Still leaves me trying to figure out how to properly backup the 3 laptops in a way I KNOW can be restored if the Win 10 upgrade fails.
    I think Windows 7-style Backup and Restore (including system image) is in both Windows 10 Home and Pro. Why do you think it's only available in Pro?

Windows 10 Feature Focus: Backup and Recovery

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Yes, Bruce, that had caught my notice, too. Was planning to get back to respond to it... great minds think alike, they say. You're quite right... File History, Backup & Recovery, is the same be it Home or Pro.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For some reason I had it in my mind that Windows Backup And Restore required Pro; clearly not the case now that I've looked at it. And generally it is easy to use - though on my Pro system I had issues with the 'System Partition' blocking backups but that's been dealt with.

I'm now thinking that I should use my new WD drive on my tower with Win Backup, making sure to have a full image, etc. plus a system repair disc before I do the 10 upgrade. The 3 laptops have 500 mb Seagate Replicas but I'm less then thrilled with their behavior and reliability and don't know if they will work under Win 10, so I may cough up the dough to get each one a 2 or so TB external drive (USB3 for those laptops that support it) and start running Windows Backup on them too.

So that just leaves the drivers to worry about, plus any apps. I have an Office 365 subscription so that shouldn't be an issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast