karlbarlow

Runtime and date() function

I have created an Access 2000 database for a client. Everything seems to work if opened from a full version of Access2000, but if you open it in the runtime, the date() function causes a #NAME? error. I have found that sometimes you have to unload/reload references when this sort of thing happens, but it usually would display the same errors in the full version of Access!
    Any suggestions welcome.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Runtime and date() function

Are you referring to reloading the references in the runtime version or was that a general statement about what to do when you hit a problem?

Did you create a setup to install the runtime on the client's machine? It sounds like you have Access 2000 installed on the client machine but your runtime isn't working properly unless opened from the full version, is that right? In that case, your setup may be at fault, or at least the shortcut you use to start the runtime application.

One such problem can arise if you use code that calls a library that is not redistributable and there is no Access 2000 or Office 2000 installed on the target machine. Could that be the problem?
    Charlotte

karlbarlow

I am afraid that I am relatively new to VBA.

What I was referring to is that sometimes when we email an Access database between locations some of the references don't seem to work. This is usually resolved by unloading /reloading the references. It seems to follow the same pattern here, but I cannot reload the references on a runtime machine, especially if the database is in an .mde format.

I have tried both installing only the runtime and creating a deployable package on different PC's - nether seems to work. Both those PC's only had Office 97 installed.

In a separate incident we had one Access program, that was working on runtime for approximately 6 months, suddenly develop similar problems.

Are there certain libraries to avoid, if you are going to deploy using runtime? Are there more up to date versions of runtime available? I am using the Access 2000 package & deployment wizard, is there a better way of packaging the necessary files?

Any help would be appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Check your developer tools help on redistributable files. The packaging & deployment wizard is much better than its predecessor, although I still prefer InstallShield Express for building reliable setups.

Unfortunately, you have to write code to check the references in your database and to attempt to fix those that are broken. If you haven't already explored the Code Librarian, run it and you'll find some code routines in the VBIDE folder to check your references. If you included something like this in your project, the very least it would do is allow you to find out which references are broken on a particular machine.
    Charlotte