Thanks

Gaming Enthusiasts and Windows 10

Gaming Enthusiasts may be interested in this Windows 10 Games Compatibility List:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...a664ced?auth=1

(Of course, this list, started in February this year, has not been established through rigorous, standardised testing, and results will almost certainly vary with each PC setup. Also, as Windows 10 Tech Preview builds have come and gone, compatibility issues may very likely have changed).
    Last edited by petesmst; 2015-07-15 at 08:15. Reason: Corrected a typo
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to petesmst For This Useful Post:

Lugh (2015-07-19)

Thanks

Windows 10 Games Incompatibility List

Thanks Pete, also of interest is the Windows 10 Games Incompatibility List.

It's promising that the Compatible list is so long, and Incompatible is so short. Win7 was better than XP for older games, so hopefully W10 will be as good or better. I assume most initial problems will be due to DirectX 12 glitches, and audio/video card driver issues.

Ken Kashmarek
    Windows 10 Game Bar

Slashdot has posted the following:
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Windows 10 Will Have Screen Recording Tool

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/15/07...recording-tool
    ------------------------------------------------------
    According to the post, the tool is not restricted to game play only, but can be sed for general recording of desktop activity.

It should have been posted as being from the "what could possibly go wrong" department. Apparently it is not good enough to record using the microphone, camera, mouse movement and keystrokes.

I could use this tool but I don't want it being used by someone from the internet (read: the vendor) without my approval.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kashmarek View Post
    Windows 10 Game Bar

Slashdot has posted the following:
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Windows 10 Will Have Screen Recording Tool

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/15/07...recording-tool
    ------------------------------------------------------
    According to the post, the tool is not restricted to game play only, but can be sed for general recording of desktop activity.

It should have been posted as being from the "what could possibly go wrong" department. Apparently it is not good enough to record using the microphone, camera, mouse movement and keystrokes.

I could use this tool but I don't want it being used by someone from the internet (read: the vendor) without my approval.
    The original article quoted by the Slashdot poster calls it "hidden" and "secret" for effect: Windows 10 has a secret screen recording tool -- here's how to use it

But it's neither, as Microsoft announced it months ago and an Insider Hub Quest encourages you to try it out and provide feedback:

New Features in Preview for Xbox App on Windows 10 and Xbox One

Other sites have managed to review it without encouraging hysteria or paranoia:

How to Record PC Gameplay With Windows 10’s Game DVR and Game Bar
    Record Gameplay with Windows 10 Game Bar
    How to use Windows 10's game DVR tool to capture video in any app

I can't use it on my Windows 10 PC:

What hardware do I need to record Xbox game clips on my PC?
    Your PC needs to have one of these video cards:
    • AMD: AMD Radeon HD 7000 series, HD 7000M series, HD 8000 series, HD 8000M series, R9 series, and R7 series.
    • NVIDIA: GeForce 600 series or later, GeForce 800M series or later, Quadro Kxxx series or later.
    • Intel: Intel HD graphics 4000 or later, Intel Iris Graphics 5100 or later.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/w...clips-on-my-pc

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kashmarek View Post
    Screen Recording Tool ... I could use this tool
    Screen VidCap is useful for any kind of training, demo, technical support playback, and review work with software, especially if you can edit the capture and add audio or music tracks. A quick look at a few options:

Ezvid looks good and full featured, plus direct YouTube upload. Check out the 5-min vid.

Active Presenter offhand looks to be superior to the benchmark free product in this sector, CamStudio. However, "Smart Capture" mode may be a bit dodgy--if so, use the Full Motion Recording mode.

LoiLo Game Recorder looks the best for recording game play. Its large MPEG files may need reducing via Freemake Video Converter for web use, to convert it to h264/AAC mp4 at the same resolution--takes about a minute, reduces the filesize to a fraction, and keeps the vid quality intact.

Fraps is widely used for game capture.
    As of Jan 2015, the last release is two years ago, doesn't support Win8--which makes me suspect may not support Win10, which presumably me and most will get while it's free. So Fraps is not a contender.

Camstudio is also widely used, but some questions around its bundled download software.

Others Bandicam, PlayClaw, OBS (Open Broadcaster Software).

Here's Wiki's Comparison of screencasting software.

Some other suggestions from my thread Screencasting (ScreenVidCap) software recommendations, please:

FastStone Screen Capture
    I use FastStone Viewer already as an image viewer, it's pretty good.

SMRecorder
    Looks a nice lightweight app for work that doesn't include gaming. Rated "Outstanding" on Cnet with nearly 3/4 million downloads.

Windows MovieMaker for post work on existing pics and vids. I wonder can it be installed alone, without the other apps in Windows Essentials?