Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Windows XP security

An article from an E-Mail I received this AM and dated today:
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows...tag=TRE17cfd61

Windows XP security just got worse again

Microsoft will no longer be providing anti-malware signatures via its Security Essentials package for the antique operating system.
    Best advice? Use WinXP offline until the machine dies. I'm keeping one computer with WinXP as it's the only one I have with a BIOS/motherboard that supports both A: and B: floppy drives which I have in it along with a 250MB Zip drive for use when folks 'find' such disks and need to see what is on them.

Thanks
    But i got my mal ware removal update today !
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've never used MSE at all, and I'm still alive.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry to disappoint but WinXP is still alive.

Check out my post in the Security & Scams Forum called
    MS Security Essentials bye bye for WinXP

I posted the question there about what alternatives exist for FREE Antivirus protection for WinXP today.

After researching the AV test organizations results and visiting the AV software companies websites, I provided my own personal wrap-up of the situation: who's committed to continuing to offer FREE AV software and updates for WinXP, for how long, and a brief assessment of the individual programs.

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...=1#post1010732

You too can find in the other member replies links to the AV test orgs and make your own evaluation.

Note: The AV test orgs show results for almost ALL AV products, both PAID and FREE. The interactive test results Statistics charts found at AV-comparatives.org are way cool to play with. There is also a detailed written report for each chart test that is very helpful in understanding how they interpreted the chart results and arrived at their product ratings.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The main problem at this time is that unless you are running Win XP on a newer computer, the new 2014 and 2015 Antivirus programs slow your older computer down a lot. I'm running Avast 2014 on my IBM T40 Laptop (Pentium M, 512 MB RAM, 40 Gig HD). It really slows it down. Malwarebytes takes forever to come up. I will eventually not be able run any good antivirus programs on this computer because of the system demands the new programs require.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CEScott For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2015-10-19)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    The main problem at this time is that unless you are running Win XP on a newer computer, the new 2014 and 2015 Antivirus programs slow your older computer down a lot. I'm running Avast 2014 on my IBM T40 Laptop (Pentium M, 512 MB RAM, 40 Gig HD). It really slows it down. Malwarebytes takes forever to come up. I will eventually not be able run any good antivirus programs on this computer because of the system demands the new programs require.
    If not in the market for a new machine anytime soon an the Notebook otherwise works fine it would be cost-effective to upgrade the RAM in that computer, I've done several makes and models and more RAM helps lots. Looking at www.crucial.com shows 4 different sub-models for an IBM Thinkpad T40, 2373, 2378 and 2379 with the 4th being for a T40p which uses the same as for the 2373. They have a maximum of 2GB or 1GB in each of 2 slots. Today's price is $32.99US or x2 for both. Or get 2 of the 512MB modules for less.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks a lot for that advice, I'll look into it and maybe give it a try. The Pentium M processor may also be a problem because it's only a 1400 MHz. Some programs are calling for more than that. I mainly only use that computer for doing email and very cautious browsing. My main computer is practically new, fast, and has Win 7 on it. Thanks again.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    more ram fixed that problem on my very old xpprosp3 pc

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So Berton, if I understand correctly... the purpose of this machine is to run off-line, and used to rescue information from old 3 1/2 inch, 5 1/4 inch, or zip disks?
    You could set up everything the way you want it on the machine, then run Microsoft SteadyState to essentially take an image of it. When you restart, any file changes are reverted back and you need not worry.

Microsoft stopped offering downloads of SteadyState some years ago, but you'll probably be able to find it out there somewhere still.

The flaw in my plan may be if virus or malware infects the hard drive or bios in a way that SteadyState doesn't automatically revert back from; however, if you are dealing with old disks, they are not as likely to have new malware that is this sophisticated. So odds are you'll be okay with your latest-available security software updates, assuming the disks haven't been used since you "freeze" your system.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silly.ol.ryan View Post
    So Berton, if I understand correctly... the purpose of this machine is to run off-line, and used to rescue information from old 3 1/2 inch, 5 1/4 inch, or zip disks?
    Perzactly. It only runs when needed. I looked at SteadState some time ago but opted for disk imaging instead.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Now I'm hearing that some or most major antivirus makers will be discontinuing their products for use on Win XP! Take a look at the post by learningstill on page 3 of the Thread "One last question before death of XP". This does not sound good if true.
    Last edited by CEScott; 2015-07-23 at 20:23. Reason: Thread title correction

Lounger
    Thanks
    http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/26/tech...act/index.html
    There's still millions of WinXP users around the world. Just because MS stop supporting doesn't mean that every vendor will follow. There's still loads of free antivirus & anti spyware available. As long as we surf the web with care the security issues are no different than that with the newer OS
    Intel CoreI7 P55/ 8Gb 1600 RAM DDR3/ NV GTS 570 1Gb PCIe/ HDD X 3 = 6TB/SSD x 1 128GB/ BDRW X 2/DVDRW x 2/ Corsiar 850W PSU & running on Win10 Pro 64bit

Thanks
    Emet 4.1 update 1 is all good if you set it up right.

Mine is set for all internet browsers plus any program or app that comes close to the web.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't get cocky. Using XP on the net is a bad idea IMNSHO for most users and online situations. Using IE with XP is almost insane.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/tag/emet-4-1/

".... This is the first of many zero-day attacks and vulnerabilities that will never be fixed for Windows XP users. Microsoft last month shipped its final set of updates for XP. Unfortunately, many of the exploit mitigation techniques that EMET brings do not work in XP."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast