5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to correct even deep-seated IE 11 problems

LANGALIST PLUS

How to correct even deep-seated IE 11 problems

By Fred Langa

Repairing Internet Explorer 11 is usually relatively easy, but some of the steps depend on the version of Windows you're using. Here's how. Plus: A reader gets locked out of his system's administrator account, and an attempt to set up a Wi-Fi hotspot disables a PC's wireless networking.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/how-to-correct-even-deep-seated-ie-11-problems/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Thanks

Resetting Hardware Using Device Manager

I have run the Device Manager quite a few times over the years. Sometimes a new driver update fails to work, and sometimes some seemingly unrelated Windows Update wrecks a Device Driver or other related software. Going into the Device Manager and uninstalling the offending item(s) and then hitting the Scan for New Hardware option, has usually restored functioning to the device(s) affected. With bad driver updates, sometimes the further option under Properties of the device, to Roll Back Driver(s) may also be needed.

Occasionally, the offending driver update is seemingly unrelated to the hardware failure experienced. For example, my ASUS Transformer Book got a USB Driver update, and then the TouchScreen stopped working. In the Device Manager, the TouchScreen looked just fine, but the USB Drivers listings included one with the dreaded Yellow Triangle. That was the one I uninstalled and rediscovered with the Scan for New Hardware option. I then rebooted, and voila! -- the TouchScreen was back up and running. So sometimes seemingly unrelated pieces of hardware are actually affwected by a common sore set of drivers.

I keep my drivers backed up to a single ZIP Archive, and expand this into an uncompressed Folder Tree for saving to an external drive or Flash Memory stick. DriverMax is one of several programs which do this well. If any Device really messes up, i can roll back or reinstall the device drivers from the backups. So, if need be, I can even Uninstall the Device and its Drivers, then use the backup set for a Driver Reinstall. This helps with some particularly stubborn hardware issues.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2015-07-16 at 15:21.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    You can roll back device drivers directly from Device Manager:
    Device Manager > Properties for the device in question > Driver Tab > Roll Back Driver button.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    You can roll back device drivers directly from Device Manager:
    Device Manager > Properties for the device in question > Driver Tab > Roll Back Driver button.

Jerry
    That's what he said. Where else is it?

Thanks
    He doesn't use Device Manager. He reinstalls from his backup Zip File:
    I can even Uninstall the Device and its Drivers, then use the backup set for a Driver Reinstall. This helps with some particularly stubborn hardware issues.
    Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    He doesn't use Device Manager.
    The first paragraph was all about his use of Device Manager, including Roll Back Driver.

Thanks
    I have two ways to restore drivers. (I don't know exactly how Fred Langa does his restorations. But the article was focused on just using the Device Manager and leaving all drivers in place as a first approach. With which I have concurred.)

Device Manager can take my unZIPped DriverMax Backup Archives, and use the uncompressed versions of its folders as sources for most drivers. Also, Device Manager does an excellent job of Uninstalling Hardware and rolling back drivers, and other options. Great built-in tool.

But Device Manager does not back up drivers. For that, Double Driver or DriverMax make short work of the job. And DriverMax can restore a batch of drivers at once. (Although I have not had to do this myself.)

System Restore also sometimes works to restore a device after a bad driver update experience -- provided the video and booting (at least into Safe Mode) still work.

A Driver Rollback is thus only one of several available tools to address a bad driver update situation.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2015-07-30 at 16:17.
    -- Bob Primak --