Thanks

Currently Downloading TH1 Professional 10240

I've seen one blurb on the internet that this is the RTM Windows 10. We'll soon see...
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-07-15 at 17:48.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Banned Member
    Thanks
    It is and the fact that it is available today to Insiders was, already put in the Forum, btw, right HERE.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    It is and the fact that it is available today to Insiders was, already put in the Forum, btw, right HERE.
    Not this link.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes; just saw that on Slashdot too. Two weeks isn't really that long for manufacturers to test the build for their current computers for sell. I've emailed ASUS twice to see if they had tested it since I'm still signed for the upgrade which may or may not happen July 29. Both times they said they have not. Hopefully, since I emailed them twice, they will email me if there's going to be an issue with my now 1 year old computer. I don't think there will be since Win10 is all but just a different wrapper then Win8.1 (not many changes other then gui that is). We shall see.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lylejk View Post
    Yes; just saw that on Slashdot too. Two weeks isn't really that long for manufacturers to test the build for their current computers for sell. I've emailed ASUS twice to see if they had tested it since I'm still signed for the upgrade which may or may not happen July 29. Both times they said they have not. Hopefully, since I emailed them twice, they will email me if there's going to be an issue with my now 1 year old computer. I don't think there will be since Win10 is all but just a different wrapper then Win8.1 (not many changes other then gui that is). We shall see.
    You can expect no problem w/ that Upgrade on your ASUS. As for the Retail Boxes & new Win10 hardware, likely be a bit of time after 29/7 as they begin to be available.

This thread should be merged w/ the original Build 10240 Thread.

Thanks
    On my Inspiron 580 the RTM upgrade hung at 24% of "Preparing to install updates". Checking Task Manager from time to time showed that it was using 13.2 MB of memory, but no CPU or disk activity. After about half an hour, I restarted the PC, it started back at the beginning of "Preparing to install updates" and there were no more hang-ups. It successfully installed and immediately installed a sizable Security Update (KB3074663), which required a restart. Checking the notification area, I was informed that "Device software" needed to be installed. No idea what it was. I clicked on the notice, it opened Security and Maintenance, Windows Firewall and Windows Defender flashed red for a second, then it was all over.

Everything appears to be in order. Edge still wants to start full screen, more piddlin' to do on that, but after the first "Edge" start, when I reopened it, it actually opened on my preferred start page. Now that we've reached this plateau, I can start installing some more of my software, and putting 10 to more use.

I'll upgrade my laptop next, and see if that "PC's on my local network, and PC's on the internet" radio button actually means something now.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Interesting glitch came up with my laptop (10162). Clicking on Settings (from anywhere) opens The Store. Can't run Update. So, at the moment I'm doing a repair/reinstall on it to try to get to Settings. It had worked normally before hibernation.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    bbearren,

Thanks of the heads up on the KB, loading it now.

I'm still having some networking problems. I can't connect from the Win 10 Laptop to my Win 8.1 Pro Desktop...it won't accept my credentials! On the other hand I can connect just fine from the Desktop to Laptop using my MS Passport (now MS Account) login info (what I've setup on the Laptop as sign in after the update that would no longer allow a local account).

I can also connect from the Win10 LT to my WD MyBook Live NAS (UserID & PWed) w/o problem. For the life of me I can't understand why I can't connect to my Desktop or my other laptop running Win 7 HP which will also connect to the Win 10 TP laptop!

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Hi RG,

I agree that networking has weirded out a little bit. In 10166 I couldn't connect to my network from my Admin (created, not default) account, but could access the internet. With my Standard user account, I could connect to everything. In this RTM upgrade, I can now access network resources from my Admin account. I'm not using Home Group, just file and printer sharing.

I'm beginning to think there's a possibility that the MS drivers for Network/NIC's may not be totally smooth. Earlier today I couldn't RD into my 580, so I had to go to mouse/keyboard/display to get in, and it didn't even have internet connectivity. The network adapter was not configured correctly. None of the Windows troubleshooting had any effect. After a restart, I went through the troubleshooting again, and it finally reconfigured the adapter, and everything was good again.

I'm back on RD on it now, and everything is working fine again. Don't know how things are going to look once I get the laptop upgraded, but I'm hopeful.

Booted into Windows 7, I can connect with everything, the laptop on 8.1, the 580 on 10, the printer and my NAS. Some combination of networking/NIC drivers still isn't according to Hoyle, it seems, in Windows 10. More piddlin' to do.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    The repair/reinstall of 10162 worked on my laptop, I was able to get into Settings. The marbles chased each other for a long, long time. I did another restart, and got a Notification that my Insider credentials needed attention. I had to verify my identity again on the laptop, and finally got into Update. But it's downloading a bunch of updates for Office 2010, Security Updates and such, and hasn't offered TH1 10240 yet. Ah, well...

>>> edit - I finally realized what's going on with the laptop. I started using 8.1 pretty exclusively on it several months ago, not booting the 7 side very often at all, and definitely not keeping up with the 7 updates. Now it's caught up with me, because I upgraded the Windows 7 partition to the Insider's Preview of Windows 10. And, the laptop has been being used, but mostly the 8.1 side still.

This may be a while... - <<</edit
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-07-15 at 22:39.

Unleash Windows

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Yeah, I've not been spending time w/ 8.1 Have both 8.1 & 10 in the same box but, not dual-boot. Was finishing the Build 10240 install & reckoned might take a visit to 8.1.... Do have to pay attention to it as the 29th approaches, make sure it's all in order. The visit was timely since 8.1 had a bunch of Updates. There, that's all peachy, now

And, back to Win10 for a few days

This is looking like an actual OS w/ its screens @ install & all dressed up w/ no watermark.

One thing if it works like this (now) sure will be something when it's the GA on the SSD instead of the RTM on a HDD. (My 8.1 is on a SSD which will be Upgraded to Windows 10.

Oh and btw, the performance of Edge is impressive.

Thanks
    My 8.1 is staying 8.1; won't be upgrading that, other than to make the upgrade, do a full drive disk image, then restore the 8.1 full drive disk image, so I can take advantage of the free upgrade should I ever decide to actually leave 8.1 for 10.

If by HDD you mean Hybrid Disk Drive, then I don't notice any real difference between my OS on HDD and SSD. I get all the speed from the 8GB of SSD cache on the HDD, with the additional storage of a 1TB drive. I do have SSD's in the 580 and in my laptop, and I just don't notice any speed advantage over the HDD in my main desktop. Of course, if you mean Hard Disk Drive, then yes, there will be an advantage.

As for Edge, it's still a little flaky for me, but I'm assuming that they'll get the rest of the bugs out of it. It won't hold my preferred size yet, but I do have it booting my preferred start page, and it seems to have broken the full-screen-launch habit. But it still hesitates on loading 'busy' pages, not allowing any scrolling until the page fully loads.

>>> edit - It's back to launching full screen again; more piddlin' - <<<
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-07-16 at 05:52.

Unleash Windows

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I did mean Hard Drive Device.

Wish I could have some thought why your Edge is wanting to Open full screen. I can't duplicate it for life of me; maybe the first time but, just opens to the size that it gets used & same position.

Obviously you found where to set the Home Page in Edge's Settings which, is good.

Thanks
    By the time I got all the old updates caught up on my laptop last night, I was ready for bed. I got in from work not long ago and woke it up, checked for Updates, and it's now downloading TH1 Professional 10240. Maybe this will get my WiFi straightened out. 10162 borked it pretty good. Time will tell...

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    My laptop is now dual booting Windows 10 Professional and Windows 8.1 Professional. It took some piddlin', but I finally got WiFi to work. I still have the same issue with my network, though. Logged in as admin, I can't get the network other than the printer, but I can get internet connectivity. Logged in as Standard user, I get the full network as well as internet connectivity. Still puzzling over that one...

Unleash Windows