New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 8.1, IE11, and Flash version .209

Windows update says my system is up to date. Secunia PSI says I still have flash version 18.0.0.160 installed in IE11. I can see that is so in the add-ins when I look there as well. *.209 is supposed to be the latest correct version according to Secunia. I've tried to run a number of flash updates in stand alone mode, but they say my computer doesn't need them. How do I get the correct flash version installed? thanks, Dan

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As mentioned in yesterday's Windows Secrets newsletter Patch Watch column, the Flash update for IE11 on Windows 8.1 only became available quite late yesterday.

If you don't get it via Windows Update today, you should be able to download and install directly from KB307877.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried to install directly from BruceR's link. Windows tells me it's already installed. However, in the IE manage add-ons page, Shockwave Flash is still Ver *.160 instead of *.209. This is where I'm stumped. I'm not going to use IE until I can get this fixed. Dan

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It MAY require a Windows restart:

Restart requirement (KB307877)
    In some cases, this update does not require a restart. If the required files are being used, this update requires a restart. If this behavior occurs, you receive a message that advises you to restart. To help reduce the possibility that a restart will be required, you should stop all affected services and close all applications that may use the affected files before you install the security update. For more information about why you may be prompted to restart, see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 887012.

I got the Windows Update this morning, but had to restart because IE11 kept closing. After that .209 was shown for Flash at Manage Add-ons.
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-07-16 at 14:09.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, problem solved. I went to find the kb307877 and uninstalled it. Then I had update search for updates. I found one that updated me to flash *.194. It didn't find any new updates so I went back to uninstall the most recent one, and I found a flash debugger installed that wasn't in the list a few minutes previously. I deleted that (I don't know how it got there), rebooted, and windows had another update for me that took me to *.209. I stopped secunia psi because I remember back a few years ago that it would prevent the stand-alone flash updates from occurring due to its monitoring. It may have had nothing to do with it but I took it out of the equation. Thanks for the help, BruceR, you got the mental juices flowing and helped me get to the solution. Dan