Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Totally fed up with Chrome

Is it just me or are other people as fed up with Chrome as I am.

Apart from what has now become incessant advertising whenever I do a search.

It updates itself and changes itself with no notification so that suddenly items move or change behaviour. A little while ago, for example, it decided to change how it saved bookmarks when you click the star. That lasted for about a week and then changed itself back.

As an accountant, I have to deal on a near daily basis with the gov.uk site. You cannot download ANYTHING with Chrome. If you speak to the helplines, they always warn that you cannot use Chrome.

I tried to download some windows update files and discovered you can't do that with Chrome. My webmail will not touch it either.

The final straw however happened not 30 minutes ago. I have just loaded a notebook with Windows 8.1 and some how with no notice, Chrome has downloaded and installed itself and has even made itself the default browser.

The only contact point is the totally disorganised confusion that is the forum so I am giving up and going to use MS Edge as soon as I can.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My wife recently caved in to Google Chrome and accepted it as her browser. Chrome immediately took over her Word files and she could not manage to get through the various screens and work on her documents.

I then went over to her user side and uninstalled any semblance of Google Chrome software. I also hunted up any left over Chrome software thru DOS and deleted Chrome files or moved them to a CD which I labelled as Junk.

I then warned her to reject any new offers from Google Chrome and now everything is running smoothly ... Theodore

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Can't say I am that fed up. I use it as the main browser and there a few things I like, even if there are some few things I dislike (just spent a few hours because of a feature that only Chrome implements in its own way (senseless), while IE and Firefox behave as expected).

I agree, though, that this senseless and notificationless updating is infuriating. I also don't like how google decides to stop supporting features that are still relevant to me, according to their own agenda, regardless of the users (Silverlight and Java, for example). Maybe if they keep pushing it, I will change to Firefox, which I like too.
    Edge, well that remains to be seen, as I will withhold upgrading to 10 in the early first months after its release.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting, I don't use Chrome for anything other than just browsing for the most part I guess and I don't see any ads at all from a search. I am using ABP extension but that only shows one item blocked on a search but maybe that's all the advertising?

I'd think I was just lucky but Chrome is on almost a dozen systems, keeps XP alive for me, never crashes for me, and only has the bad habit of taking too many resources, namely memory, with relatively few pages open. And this is going on what; six years now?

Maybe I'm paying more attention and don't even know it though as well...don't ever expect Microsoft and Google to get all lovey-dovey and work together; not going to happen unless it's of mutual financial benefit, and maybe not even then. Also, never install anything...ANYTHING, without paying strict attention to every single prompt along the way and always choose custom install rather than auto, because that's where Chrome and any other "free" program will be hiding (among other places) if you don't. I highly doubt Chrome will take over any word files unless the user gets involved in the Google Docs end of things or possibly via Google Drive backup of Office files but the first is controllable and the later is just a backup that does not affect original location.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    1) - Go to Task Scheduler and edit two tasks, GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore and GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA. Note, edit the task, don't just delete it, as Google Update will just replace it if it finds it absent. Then you are saved from Google's ridiculous, obsessive - who wants to check for updates every hour? - updating behaviour.

2) - Download and save the install version of Google Chrome, and version label it. This will allow you to roll back to a previous good version, if there is some feature that becomes disabled by an unannounced update, as you describe.

Dropbox and Opera have also adopted this obsessive level of update checking.

Why we should have to do this is beyond belief. That is why I stick to Firefox, with all its faults.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnFleming For This Useful Post:

voxov (2015-08-03)

Thanks
    Compared to Firefox, I have always found Chrome to be a major RAM hog. From reading other's experiences, it looks like Google is as arrogant about Chrome as they are about Google+, YouTube, and demanding a cell phone number for getting a new account and probably dozens of other things.

I would recommend that, if you are dissatisfied with Chrome, switch to Firefox.
    Ray
    OS: 2 computers w/ Win7 Home Premium 64-bit & 2 computer w/ Windows 10 AU Pro (1607)
    Antivirus: Kaspersky; Anti-malware: SpywareBlaster, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    *cough*Google*cough*

'Nuff said.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyl For This Useful Post:

XPDiHard (2015-10-20)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have recent found that Chrome at work is incredibly slow connecting to Google+, Gmail, Gmaps, etc (despite setting Google as DNS server), so I have started to use the much faster Vivaldi, which is at the moment quite basic, but is being developed by the same team that worked on the original Opera browser (which I continue to use in the non-Chromium version 12.17).
    Like others, it is possible to use ad blockers on Chrome and configure it, but I also don't want my work searches to be used in marketing to me personally.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    what is installed on your win8 pc depends on the maker
    chrome did not do that
    your pc company chose to do that

IE shoudl be on there too
    activate it and pin it plus put shortcuts on the front page
    delete chrome

otoh chrome does things that i could not get my old browser to do and IE has some security issues

as to ads
    chrome is very bad
    but win8 is an enabler with all its useless crap that runs all the time to check weather and facebook updates whatever whether you want them or not

you can download with chrome but it is not as straightforward as other browsers

if you can see the document then rightclick and save
    voila
    it was downloaded

mine seems to download first and then ask if i want to see it

no ideas what ms edge is
    let us know how that works

Quote Originally Posted by dd_uk View Post
    Is it just me or are other people as fed up with Chrome as I am.

Apart from what has now become incessant advertising whenever I do a search.

It updates itself and changes itself with no notification so that suddenly items move or change behaviour. A little while ago, for example, it decided to change how it saved bookmarks when you click the star. That lasted for about a week and then changed itself back.

As an accountant, I have to deal on a near daily basis with the gov.uk site. You cannot download ANYTHING with Chrome. If you speak to the helplines, they always warn that you cannot use Chrome.

I tried to download some windows update files and discovered you can't do that with Chrome. My webmail will not touch it either.

The final straw however happened not 30 minutes ago. I have just loaded a notebook with Windows 8.1 and some how with no notice, Chrome has downloaded and installed itself and has even made itself the default browser.

The only contact point is the totally disorganised confusion that is the forum so I am giving up and going to use MS Edge as soon as I can.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i would prefer firefox but cant get it to run on my pc
    older xpprosp3

tried to get newer version
    it wiped out old FF that did run
    new one would not work
    cant delete new one
    or get old one back

used chrome because i had to
    since IE is not safe and i just dont like it

Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Can't say I am that fed up. I use it as the main browser and there a few things I like, even if there are some few things I dislike (just spent a few hours because of a feature that only Chrome implements in its own way (senseless), while IE and Firefox behave as expected).

I agree, though, that this senseless and notification less updating is infuriating. I also don't like how google decides to stop supporting features that are still relevant to me, according to their own agenda, regardless of the users (Silverlight and Java, for example). Maybe if they keep pushing it, I will change to Firefox, which I like too.
    Edge, well that remains to be seen, as I will withhold upgrading to 10 in the early first months after its release.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    more info on how to do that update please

i am sure the power boyz understood enough from your tip to get it done but detailed info for us normal users please

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFleming View Post
    1) - Go to Task Scheduler and edit two tasks, GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore and GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA. Note, edit the task, don't just delete it, as Google Update will just replace it if it finds it absent. Then you are saved from Google's ridiculous, obsessive - who wants to check for updates every hour? - updating behaviour.

2) - Download and save the install version of Google Chrome, and version label it. This will allow you to roll back to a previous good version, if there is some feature that becomes disabled by an unannounced update, as you describe.

Dropbox and Opera have also adopted this obsessive level of update checking.

Why we should have to do this is beyond belief. That is why I stick to Firefox, with all its faults.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Speedball - not quite sure whether your question relates to my point (1) or (2).

You will find Task Scheduler under Administrative Tools. Find the scheduled tasks that I mentioned in my post, right-click for Properties, and then edit the task, disable it, reschedule it, whatever you like.

You can always find offline Google Chrome installers by searching for Google Chrome standalone, then you have to decide whether to install for all users (which I do), or for your own user account only.

Hope that may help.

Quote Originally Posted by speedball View Post
    more info on how to do that update please

i am sure the power boyz understood enough from your tip to get it done but detailed info for us normal users please

Thanks
    I have been using Chrome for a few years now and I certainly don't see all the problems mentioned here. It's not checked as my default browser but I use it 99.5% of the time. I only use IE 11 for MS stuff and any java related things I need to do. I have Blur, Disconnect Search, and AdBlock Plus and I opted out of interest based ads on Google as extensions.
    I have NEVER had Chrome load itself, I had to go get it every time and it ALWAYS asks to be the default browser, to which I decline, so that must have been pre-loaded software on the notebook.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

L1NGUS (2015-08-10)

Thanks
    Have Chrome, don't use it much. Don't like its UI. Mostly use FF and Pale Moon. Both of these working fine on Win 8.1.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Chrome/Google were early adopters of the idea that "we'll keep everything updated for you, don't worry, it will be great!"

It's a classic two-edged sword. Lots of traditional software isn't kept up to date enough. However when you cede all control of the updates to the vendor... you'd better trust that vendor. And technology updates over the history of the computer industry have a reputation of having more problems than the customers would like to see.

The thing is, most of the software companies out there are getting more assertive about pushing updates. I have some Open Source software that is also very active about updating.

The irony is that the company with perhaps the worst reputation for too few updates is Google with their Android system.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast