Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HOTMAIL RECOVERY - setting up hotmail for guaranteed recovery when ms kills your own password again

hotmail is a real PITA

i hate passwords
    why wont they get their bleeping hands off the one i have that works and keep making me jump through hoops to prove i am me so i can recover my hotmail account after being forced to put in a BAD password that i will never remember because they think they are 'helping' me by forcing me to keep doing a 'strong' password

is there some way to add many more recovery options as well as personal info that you can PRINT OFF FOR REFERENCE to aid ensuring that next time i will be able to recover my account and that wont be the time i lose it forever

every time i try they tell me to sign in again
    then say i need a pin
    which i get
    then i use the pin and i cant sign in at all to the place to supposedly change my info

those brain dead hackers need to learn that the rest of the world is not as scatterbrained and illogical as they are and make things easier for real user

anyway

what is the secret to updating my personal info and PRINTING it so i can be a little more sure about recovering my hotmail the next time microcrap effs me again by making me jump through their hoops needlessly

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't know about the problem as I've not had it yet with Hotmail.com but for the printing part just press the PrntScrn key, open Paint or other program, right-click or Edit, Paste then print it. Could even use File, Save as [in IE] or right-click, Save page as [in Firefox].

A note: Look for Hotmail to become Outlook.com, I actually have both. It's just another way for Microsoft to mess up naming conventions, Outlook Express, Microsoft Outlook [part of Office], etc.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    That's why I use a password manager, I only have to remember one password.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    ...I only have to remember one password...
    What could possibly go wrong? (kidding).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I didn't backup the password database! How many times has the question "I can't open my database and don't have a backup" been asked?

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    only works until ms kills it and says to put in a new one
    and the old one does not work any longer because they are 'helping' you
    by making you change it every few months

That's why I use a password manager, I only have to remember one password.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    the issue is microsofts magic database that I need to know to get back in

I know my password
    they killed it
    now I need to know what is in their database
    I never give out real info on the net
    so no way to guess what lies I told them
    and they did not warn me to save it to recover the account every couple of months
    after they claim they are 'helping' me by deleting the old one
    and making me prove who I am

if I can get to their database I will print it
    never expected them to be so effedupp and force me to change my password
    but only after regurgitating the fake personal info to get to make up a new password

I didn't backup the password database! How many times has the question "I can't open my database and don't have a backup" been asked?

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Microsoft don't "kill" passwords. I've used the same Microsoft account password for at least two years.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    how do you do that

they diddle mine twice a year and make me jump through hoops hoping to get it back
    sometimes it is easy and other times they ask questions about me that I know I never told them anything about

Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Microsoft don't "kill" passwords. I've used the same Microsoft account password for at least two years.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I haven't changed my Microsoft password in 3 years. I also use two step authentication, which is the best way to make sure no one accesses your email account information without you receiving a SMS to provide authorization.
    You also have the option of using an authentication app on a smartphone, if you have one, and you will be asked for an authentication code whenever you even try to access account settings.

Don't blame Microsoft. The security mechanisms they have on the hotmail / outlook accounts follow the best industry practices. Get informed and put them to good use.

P.S.: They also show when the password was last changed. Almost 3 years and 1 month for me.

Capture.JPG
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    that is just your biased opinion

they are terrible bad practices that cause me way too much grief

one step is too much work
    not futzing with two steps and really getting screwed next time they mess with it

Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I haven't changed my Microsoft password in 3 years. I also use two step authentication, which is the best way to make sure no one accesses your email account information without you receiving a SMS to provide authorization.
    You also have the option of using an authentication app on a smartphone, if you have one, and you will be asked for an authentication code whenever you even try to access account settings.

Don't blame Microsoft. The security mechanisms they have on the hotmail / outlook accounts follow the best industry practices. Get informed and put them to good use.

P.S.: They also show when the password was last changed. Almost 3 years and 1 month for me.

Capture.JPG

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i dont see what you claim is there

and you did not tell me how to do it which is basically the query in the OP

Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post

Capture.JPG

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You obviously know it all. I have no role here, you already know everything. Signing off from this discussion.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Are you using Office 365 or a paid version of Outlook.com?

Joe

Thanks
    I use sticky password once you put in one for sticky password it then goes and gets all your passwords for you from every forum and site you are on.
    If your computer is idle for 10 mins or more all you have to do is re enter the password for sticky and away you go.
    You get A 30 day free trial then you have to pay for it but I find it is well worth it saves sending hours trying to re enter and setting up another one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast