Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

My Next Challenge

My main desktop dual boots Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 8.1 Pro. I use 8.1 predominantly, but also keep the Windows 7 side up to date, and there are a couple of programs on that side that don't run on 8.1. The 8.1 side will be an easy enough upgrade to Windows 10, which I'll do to take advantage of the free upgrade, but then I'll make a drive image of 10, and restore my 8.1 drive image for continued use.

The 7 Ultimate side, however, won't directly upgrade. It's carved up and spread over two separate HDD's (Hybrid Disk Drive), so I'll have to either put it back together (which can be done) and then upgrade, or upgrade just the 7 Ultimate partition, which will not save apps and settings, and then start re-installing stuff. Either way is a bit of work (there's a lot of stuff). I have up-to-date drive images of the different partitions that contain 7 Ultimate, so I'm protected either way.

The third option is to do it both ways, making drive images along the way, then decide which option works best for me. But it's obvious with the new OS model MS is introducing with Windows 10, an OS upgrade could be released at any time, and a split-up system like I'm running now with 7 Ultimate simply won't allow for an upgrade installation that keeps everything intact.

It's gonna prove interesting, regardless.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    bbarren,

Cut Up Windows...Reminds me of the old addage "He who lives by the sword dies by the sword!" or "Death by a Thousand Cuts".
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Virtualize W7 and then it's a no brainer.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    bbarren,

Cut Up Windows...Reminds me of the old addage "He who lives by the sword dies by the sword!" or "Death by a Thousand Cuts".
    It's not quite that bad. It's a bit tedious, but I've done it before. There are advantages to the divisions, but the new OS model of Windows 10 kinda makes it obsolete.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Virtualize W7 and then it's a no brainer.
    Doesn't run as well as it does on metal.

Unleash Windows

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Does if the metal is good enough!

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Does if the metal is good enough!
    For me, Windows 10 on a dual core i3 runs better that Windows 10 in a VM on a quad core i5 (both run at 3.2GHz).

YMMV

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    My Windows 7 OS partition is 60 GB with 24GB free, but in the end it was too cramped for the Windows 10 installation, and it aborted. I could move a bunch of stuff around and double the size of that partition, but that would take about as long as it will take to reinstall my programs and utilities, so I'm keepin' it simple this time. I'm running the install from within Windows, but I'm not keeping anything.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Got Preview 10162 installed last night, updated, not activated (activation for preview builds no longer works), but wasn't really concerned about that. There were some updates, etc. that it went through. I managed some personalizations by rebooting and hitting them quick before the "Activate Windows" warning kicked in.

I left 10162 running overnight, and this morning I installed Revo Uninstaller Pro, Malwarebytes Premium, and Office 2010. It's preparing to install TH1 Professional 10240, so I'm gonna let that finish before I do anymore installations.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-07-26 at 09:04.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    This is just a curiousity, but I did a "keep nothing" install, which leaves a "Windows.old" folder behind, but saves no settings, etc. So in Edge, I elected to import Favorites from Internet Explorer, and it did. And it's the right Favorites, Favorites Bar, everything, from my Windows 7 installation. Must have reached into the "Windows.old" bag, I guess.

And not only are they the correct Favorites, when I click on a link from my Favorites or Favorites Bar, my saved usernames and passwords are pre-loaded for logon. Interesting.

>>> edit - forgot to mention that it also picked up my background slideshow theme, also, which is composed of my personal photos. /edit <<<
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-07-26 at 12:40.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Windows 10 Pro (10240) is now installed, not yet activated. But in Settings > Windows Update > Advanced options I'm still on the Fast Track for Preview Builds, and there are no restrictions of any kind that I can find. When I click on "Activate Windows" it says my Product Key is no good, and shows the last group of the 10162 Preview Build Product Key. I'm going to assume that it will sort itself out sooner or later. Not really concerned, though, because there's no watermark, and everything works for now.

Plenty of piddlin' left to do, but there's no rush. The dual boot worked out just as it did on my laptop, still using the same bootmgr and menu, just has Windows 10 as the default at the top of the menu. 8.1 Pro still boots and runs as usual. Since I'm starting fresh, I'm installing my programs and utilities monitored through Revo Uninstaller Pro, which makes an uninstall a breeze. Everything that allows for a selection of installation location is going on another partition on a separate drive, which keeps my OS partition small and image files quick and easy. I'm moving all my user folders the MS approved way through the Location tab in Properties to another partition on another drive, also.

Unleash Windows

Thanks

An Interesting Thing Happened On The Way to The Forum...

Long story short, my Windows 7 Ultimate Product Key is now a blocked key. I have no idea when that happened; I have been updating it for about 5 years, including the WGA updates, and it has never failed. Of course, that makes the upgrade to Windows 10 possible as far as installation, but impossible as far as activation. There are some hacks out there that could work, but I like to keep legit, so I decided to forego those. I broke out my PayPal account and bought Windows 10 Pro from the Store for $199.

That simple transaction made my Windows 10 installation Genuine and Activated. Magic Jelly Beans Key Finder now reports the following (edited):

Windows 10 Pro
    Product Part No.: [TH]X19-9
    Installed from 'Full Packaged Product' media.
    Product ID: xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx match to CD Key data
    CD Key: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
    Computer Name: XXXXXXXXX
    Registered Owner: Admin
    Registered Organization:

From an elevated Command Prompt, slmgr /dlv reports, among other things, "RETAIL channel". So I guess that makes my Windows 10 Pro a Retail Full Packaged Product installation.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    bbearren,

That's some Expensive FREE Update! It will be a cold day you know where before MS gets any money out of me for a FREE upgrade! Win 7 & 8.1 work just fine.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I can't disagree with your logic there, RG, but on the flip side, I've apparently been running "pirated" software for who knows how long? My Windows 7 Ultimate, it turns out, at some point became no longer legitimate, and ineligible for a free upgrade. I don't really feel comfortable with the idea of skirting the legalities.

I may not be the only one...

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    bbearren,

When I have the Windows 7 Hologram DVD and complete package with Key and MS tells me it is not Legitimate ... "Houston (or in this case Redmond) we have a problem"...a big one!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast