Thread: Product keys.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Product keys.

Hello.
    Have you all noticed that all machines have the one and unique keys ?

Thanks
    It did vary according to build, but, yes, everyone had the same key for a specific build number. Does that surprise you, for a beta/test?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It seems that this is no longer a "beta-test", methinks. You know otherwise ?

Thanks
    I would call a beta test what precedes Release To Manufacturing.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    But, but ! BATcher, this has been advertise really as RTM. Have you lost a day or two ???

All best wishes. Jean.

Seeing as you are a kipper, do you know where I got this : All best wishes tag ?

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Jean,

I can respond to this...

In regard to the last sentence... RTM is released to OEMs this wk. It's right, did not happen last week. Official announcement was supposed to be today, Friday. Below is from pcworld.com

Gregg Keizer | @gkeizer
    gkeizer@computerworld.com, Computerworld
    Jul 14, 2015 9:51 AM

Microsoft on Monday suspended delivery of new preview builds of Windows 10, saying that it was “very close” to wrapping up the operating system.

“We’re suspending the availability of Windows 10 builds briefly while we prepare for [using the official roll-out process], and the next build that we flight to you will be delivered using the production channels,” said Gabriel Aul, engineering general manager for Microsoft’s OS group, in a revised blog yesterday. “We’re very close to our public release and we’re working very hard to get everything just right.”

Aul promised that the suspension would be short, but that disk images—large files in .iso format that testers can use to do a “clean” install of the OS—would also be deferred. “We really need Insiders to be using, stressing, and validating our distribution and upgrade processes,” Aul said in explaining the .iso pause.

Pre-release activation keys will no longer validate the previous preview builds shipped as .iso files, Aul added. He did not say whether activation codes would be provided at some future point for those who wanted to test Windows 10 after the official launch, and do a fresh install rather than an in-place upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1.

If new activation keys are not offered down the line, people who wanted to dive through a loophole—one acknowledged and apparently approved by the Redmond, Wash. company—to obtain a free copy of Windows 10, even if they didn’t qualify for the free upgrade, may be out of luck.

The build and .iso suspensions signal that Microsoft will soon declare Windows 10 at the “release to manufacturing” (RTM) milestone, an important waypoint because that code will be handed to device makers for pre-loading on new hardware. Earlier rumors had pegged RTM for last week, but that didn’t happen.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Drew.
    If you go to System, it says a simple Windows 10, it has dropped the Technical Preview qualificatif. Does this not mean that the Beta is really over ?
    It is really nice on my three machines here. I might be home this coming week and will work on the two machines there.

You be good. All best wishes. Jean.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Jean,

Ok, I speak better than I type sometimes, I think but, I'll take a stab...

I think of anything prior to GA as being beta. Recently we have taken to calling betas "Previews". Well, Build 10240 is the last of the pre-GA Builds but, it is, also, the RTM... ergo, no watermark & no 'Preview' tag.

I do want to take this opportunity to mention something that fits here. If we go back to last fall (roughly) there was going to Tech Preview & Consumer Preview & whatever else & these things were going to go from & to certain dates... all of which was rubbish. Although, later, a tag went from Tech Preview to Insiders Preview or something. I recall my contact on the Build Team telling me, "never mind the names, mean nothing, it's all just a series of beta Builds (numbers). An, now, Insiders will continue to receive 'Builds' & test Win10 things before they possibly seen by others. This all ties together w/ the difference in the Windows 10 Platform & the past AND "Windows as a Service" as it relates to Win10... the service associated w/ Win10 & accompanying it is two-fold. (1) is its Updates (2) is that it is an on-going effort, in effect 'never finished', continuing to add, modify, grow & evolve. Ergo, the Beta, Preview phase is over, Win10 development isn't and doesn't end anymore than Win10 itself ends (which it doesn't).

The other thing I'll say here is sometimes I see people seeming to talk like RTM & GA are the same thing. Close but, @ least, one big difference... one goes to OEMs (prior to GA release date) and the other does not. GAs go to everybody else. 'WE' (John & Jane Doe) will start being able to get the GA as of July 29th.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Morn, Drew.

Back out of the boonies for this one week. You wrote :

Ok, I speak better than I type sometimes, I think but, I'll take a stab...

Ouch ! that heurt. Tee ! hee !

Last night was a busy one, I had two desktops to work on. One was still on 8.1 so I went to the 10130 one first. That updated fine, it got a bunch of WUs then it offered 10240 and I am on it typing at you.

I then went to the 8.1 machine, I had still a DVD.iso of 10130 and daringly ran it. All was fine until it spat in my face saying that it was not "validated". What goes on I muttered ? I was able to find a proper set of keys for it and then it was pristine. ( I am not at liberty to say where I got them keys ). I wanted my 1920 x 1080 resolution back, I ran the provided DVD from NVIDIA but it would not install, said the DVD was corrupted. What ? It installed fine in 8.1.

No fear, I kept at the install in poor resolution and it found a WU for my GeForce Vidcard, that fixed it all.

All this to say that I have full faith in W-10 in so much that I did not clone the 8.1 afore I ran the 10130. Then 10240 honoured all my apps, all of them and some are oldies. Let the non-believers, set in their ways, take notice, this is a great OS.

I am curious to see how it will, how they will behave on that day, 29th July. I am sure all will be fine.

Edit : on the ex-8.1 machine now, tested all icons on the Taskbar and they all work.

( I also take a stab at typing in English, since I retired, my spoken words are weakening. ) All fine wishes. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2015-07-22 at 09:13. Reason: Typo.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Yes, Jean, Windows 10 is, indeed, one hell of a fine, smart, easy-to-use & very capable Operating System!
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-07-22 at 14:04.