5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Need Rock-Solid Backup Plan

I've got a friend who works in an equipment rental business, which uses a rental agreement software package that can't run on anything newer than XP. A few months ago the main PC died, and to get them back up and running quickly I installed the software on an XP Home machine which the owner had. I'd like to upgrade the PC to XP Pro, so I can install a NAS unit and get regular backups going. Before I do the upgrade to Pro, I'd like to have a rock-solid backup in place, in case something goes wrong and I have to rollback to Home. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a WDC 1TB NAS connected via Ethernet cable to my Wireless Router and haven't any issue accessing it from WinXP through Win10TH, Mac OS X and Linux Mint, don't know as Home Premium would be a problem, have a WinXP HP connected to it as I type. It can't hurt to try it with what you have as WinXP has been discontinued/unsupported for nearly a year and a half now and finding a legal copy may be difficult, especially for the Retail version.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    As you are stuck with XP it may be time to virtualize the system so you can get some decent hardware in place. It does ad complexity but makes backup and recovery simple. You can also put the hardware on a reasonable UPS.

What other machines exist and how is the software currently used? As much detail as possible please.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    I have a WDC 1TB NAS connected via Ethernet cable to my Wireless Router and haven't any issue accessing it from WinXP through Win10TH, Mac OS X and Linux Mint, don't know as Home Premium would be a problem, have a WinXP HP connected to it as I type. It can't hurt to try it with what you have as WinXP has been discontinued/unsupported for nearly a year and a half now and finding a legal copy may be difficult, especially for the Retail version.
    I've got a retail MS Upgrade to take XP Home up to XP Pro. XP Home can't backup to a network location, which is why I want to do the upgrade. But before that I want a "safety" backup of the existing machine. I'm figuring to use an external hard drive for that, but could use a recommendation about the software to use.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    As you are stuck with XP it may be time to virtualize the system so you can get some decent hardware in place. It does ad complexity but makes backup and recovery simple. You can also put the hardware on a reasonable UPS.

What other machines exist and how is the software currently used? As much detail as possible please.

cheers, Paul
    This company hasn't got the financial resources to move to new hardware or upgrade the software to a version that will run on newer versions of Windows. There are two "counter" PC's at which rentals are entered and rental agreements printed out (also XP machines) and this "server" PC which has the equipment and customer data. Reports are run at the "server" PC. A UPS unit for the server PC is also on my shopping list <grin>.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Then it's a small NAS and image the machines to it, then do a nightly backup to it.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Then it's a small NAS and image the machines to it, then do a nightly backup to it.

cheers, Paul
    That's my goal, I just want to have a "safety net" for the "server" before I go any further. For a one-time backup to an external hard drive, do you have a program you like?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Any of the free backup programs are a good starting point.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...backup-program

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Cobian works on Home Edition as well as Professional, and can back up over a network. It creates .zip files, so you don't need the program installed to do a restore.

Thanks
    If it is mission critical and would need to be back in service asap I would clone a drive with some thing like Macrium Reflect. And of course a running backup of the critical data files.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Cloning a drive is only works if the drive fails, anything else and it's bare metal restore, which is why I suggested virtualization.

cheers, Paul

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

wavy (2015-07-20)

Thanks
    Cloning a drive is only works if the drive fails, anything else and it's bare metal restore, which is why I suggested virtualization.

cheers, Paul
    OK point taken. I will then add do a SysPrep on the cloned drive.

But a virtual install would be the most robust solution.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Sysprep isn't enough if you don't have drivers for the new hardware. The backup programs have a "clone to bare metal" option, usually in the paid version.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Sysprep isn't enough if you don't have drivers for the new hardware. The backup programs have a "clone to bare metal" option, usually in the paid version.

cheers, Paul
    Yep point taken again! Newer Hardware might not have support.
    David