Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 RTM-Will it wipeout my Win 7 installation?

I have a dual boot system, with Win 7 Pro on one SSD, and Win 10 Pro on another. According to Windows Community Forum, when Win 10 RTM arrives I won't have any choice as to where to install it, and my Win 7 installation will be replaced by it. Is this correct? If it is I can't understand why Microsoft are doing this, and it seems to me that what I will have to do is to make sure that my Macrium Reflect backup of Win 7 is completely up to date before Win 10 overwrites it, and when Win 10 RTM is installed I will then restore Win 7 to the original Win 10 disk.

Will it make any difference if I unreserve Win 10?

Comments from fellow lounge members would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    My understanding is that I have to be booted into either Win7 w/SP1 or Win8.1 to get the free Win10. I haven't seen where it will not change Win10 Preview to the full/released version so the assumption must be made Win10 will install over the version that is running. To that end I have not dual-booted, have a Desktop and a Notebook that will not get hurt by doing the upgrade and running the preview on a rehabbed or disposable Desktop.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Windows 10 won't get installed over Windows 7 without you explicitly requesting the installation.

But if you don't want it, why did you reserve it?

Ken Kashmarek
    I had Win10TP installed on a drive in it's own partition. It was upgraded on the slow ring to 10162, and then to TH1 10240.

That install is quite an exercise in patience and endurance. 10240 went on without a hitch. There were several applications installed that were carried of from 10162, including Office 2007, FireFox, and an handful of utilities.

After a couple of days use, I performed a disk cleanup, including old system files from the previous install.

A new key was provided also.

This was on a computer that is 64-bit, quad core @ 3.1 GHz with 6 gig RAM.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce, I did not knowingly reserve it. I now know it was a result of a Windows update. It's not that I don't want Win 10 RTM, but I want to keep my Win 7 OS.

Regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    Bruce, I did not knowingly reserve it. I now know it was a result of a Windows update. It's not that I don't want Win 10 RTM, but I want to keep my Win 7 OS.

Regards, Roy
    Windows 10 doesn't get reserved unless someone clicks the "Reserve your free upgrade" button from the GWX icon/app: How To Reserve Your Free Upgrade To Windows 10

To keep Windows 7, you'll need to continue as Windows Insider on the Windows 10 partition with frequent updates (or buy Windows 10 for more tested updates).

You might as well cancel the reservation, since it's going to do nothing for you except offer to install over Windows 7.
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-07-19 at 10:45.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

royw (2015-07-19)

Thanks
    And...... if you let Windows 10 install over Windows 7....Windows 7 is History. (GONE, KAPUT!)

Back up your Windows 7, just in case something goes terribly wrong.

Back when we were testing Windows 8, people ignored all our warnings about NOT installing 8 over 7 and people were coming on the old Windows 8 forum crying that they lost their Windows 7 and wanting to know how to get it back. A clean install of Windows 7 was the only way back.

Don't be one of those people again, wanting to know how to get their main OS back after the Windows 10 upgrade.
    Read my signature line!

Cheers mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!