Thread: C++

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

C++

According to my "your uninstaller pro" program I have two copies of the same version of Visual C++ 2008 on my computer, plus a copy of C++ 2012. Should I delete the two earlier versions or delete all three and install version 2013 - or leave things as they are.

Thanks
    @ mike21

Leave them alone.

They are code libraries which will have been installed on your system in course of installing other programs.

Programmers commonly reference such code libraries to improve the performance of their program, and also you might have more than one program on your computer which can reference the same code library.

Similar code libraries are the various versions of "Microsoft .NET Runtimes" and the "Java Runtime Environment".

Unless you know for certain those C++ libraries are not needed then leave them be - "if it ain't broke don't fix it".
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2015-07-20)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's the application/program that installs the C++ version it requires and another program could require that and aspects of other versions.

One version doesn't supersede another.

I have 2x C++2008 x64 and 3x C++2008 x86 but the versions are slightly different even though the dates for two of the x86 are the same.

You should find this article of interest http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...3a5bc88?auth=1

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2015-07-20)

Thanks
    @ Sudo15

Good link, and it pretty-much supports what I've said in my #2 post - INOW don't mess with it!
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2015-07-20)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all. I have read the article and I am glad I did not uninstall them - I thought they were various versions of a programming language that I never used. I have been trying to remove unwanted programs to speed up my computer - so far it has only got slower. Needless to say, all three will remain.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I use the free version of CCleaner to clean out the temp files at the end of each session, but I also go Start - type %temp% and press enter to see if anything substantial has been left in there.

If there is, click on Organize - Select all - Organize - Delete - confirm - check the box and click on Skip which usually just leaves the Debug file unless any are still in use.

Using Win 7 I also run Disk Cleanup as an admin by going Start - type disk cleanup - right click on Disk Cleanup and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC and click OK for it to see what else it can clean out.

If you've never run this utility as an admin, it can free up substantial space by deleting obsolete Windows Updates and then you run a defrag afterwards.

This will aid Virtual Memory and help with the performance.

Windows also has a couple of tools which are accessed through Control Panel - System and Security/Find and fix problems and under System and Security, click on Run maintenance tasks and Check for performance issues

In each, click on Advanced and then on Run as administrator.